Alcohol In The Bottom Of A Hookah

So last night we were talking about going and smoking and one of my friends asked if I had ever put alcohol in the bottom of a hookah. One time when my friends and I were drunk, we decided it would be a great idea to put some 60 proof mojito mix in the bottom to hopefully give us a bigger buzz. Obviously since we were already drunk we couldn't really tell the difference.
So my first question is, does anyone know if putting alcohol in the base affect you in any way, i.e. does it give you any kind of alcoholic buzz?
After we had the conversation about that he said that he didn't mean just putting alcohol in the base, but actually putting alcohol in the base and adding dry ice to make the alcohol evaporate and actually get drunk off of the air spewing out of the hose. He said he did it with some friends and got a little dizzy and drunk and that the air just tasted like vodka.
So my second question is, are there any bad side effects that could pertain to trying to vaporize alcohol with dry ice? I'm guessing there are, just not sure for certain.

Why would alcohol vaporize with dry ice? Dry ice is going to cool the alcohol down. You just going to make the dry ice evaporate faster. Your just going to be inhaling carbon dioxide and the pressure will probably cause carbon dioxide to shoot up your stem, purge valve, and your hose.

I have gone to a hookah bar where they put wine in the vase. I could taste the wine but it didn't get me drunk.

I put rum in my vase when I do my mojito mix, but it doesnt get you drunk, you can taste the rum but its not going to get you drunk, like was stated it would slow down the process by adding dry ice. Hot water would speed up the alcohol molecules and possibly make it more volatile, but I dont know if you would want to do that since alcohol is flammable and you have coals sitting on top of your hookah...could end badly, not likely but there is a chance. What probably gave them the drunk feeling was inhaling large amounts of CO2, again not the best idea.....I dont think you would absorb enough alcohol to get you drunk anyway, the hole premise upon which a breathalyzer works is the fact that alcohol is such a tiny molecule, it will pass through your blood into your lungs, into your breath and into the machine, so you would have to get a shit ton of alcohol molecules with each pull of the hookah, and you would have to smoke for 9 hours straight, to get enough into you to get you drunk, but by then your body would have processed it and you wouldnt be drunk.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Nov 2 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (joelhookah @ Nov 2 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not put dry ice in your vase. Dying sucks. But no seriously, dry ice is hazardous to your health if inhaled.

+1

/thread
I've smoked with alcohol in my base (not straight mixed) and it got me buzzed but to get wasted you need to drink in my opinion. it wore off after 30 min.
DO NOT PUT DRY ICE IN THE BASE!..

If you are indeed going for a big buzz, I'd suggest unwashed shisha (Nakhla, Tangiers) with mixed drinks. Also mixing different types of alcohol will get you drunk faster. As will drinking beer through a straw. Don't know why you'd want to do that, since the morning after you would be bound to have a deathstar of a hangover.

You will not get any kind of alcoholic buzz or effect from smoking hookah with an alcoholic base. That said, most of my Muslim friends won't smoke a hookah with a red wine base, and I've never tried to convince them to change their minds. Edited by gaia.plateau

Yeah I'm definitely not in need of getting a bigger buzz. If I want to get a buzz off of smoking I smoke Nakhla. And if I want to get drunk just go beer before liquor, gets you drunk quicker lol (unless you can't hold your liquor, then you just puke).

Do NOT put dry ice in the base. You will get VERY sick. That is pretty much suffocating yourself. Dry ice is nothing but frozen CO2. When you put it into the water it begins to sublimate (go straight from the solid phase to the gas phase, skipping the liquid phase). Now all of that white smoke is nothing but pure CO2. Breathing in concentrated CO2 is NOT a good idea. Just throwing that out there. That's prob why they felt buzzed, if they did indeed use dry ice. They were very oxygen deprived.

As for the alcohol, it does make it buzz a little bit more. Tastes good. Not drunk though.

• 3 years later...
Drink the alcohol out the base after your done smoking. That'd probably do the trick.

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1326934615' post='536016']
the original post was from 08. i doubt this person even checks here anymore...
[/quote]

I figured you would have something to say about the topic at hand, ya drunk bastard. :lol:

I should start looking at dates.