Tangiers Noob Packing Method

Thanks for the clarification smile.gif I saw snoopy's post beforehand though and did it like he did, and it worked great. As he said, not the thickest of clouds but it cut the harshness out and gave good flavor. However I did poke holes all the way down all the way through to the bottom.

Don't get me wrong, you still get some really good smoke, just not what I have been used to. This is a great way for new people to try Tangiers so they can taste the HUGE difference in the tobacco and not struggle to achieve it.

I put it in my Sig as a link too because it is just that good for those to try out.

There are so many "packing tangiers" threads. Its fantastic!!

BUT thats just HALF of whats involved. What about the 2nd most important aspect of bowl packing and smoking HEAT MANAGEMENT.

I hear about how little heat tangiers requires. Rayver smokes his with 4 jap coals, then ive seen other use exoticas, but dont say how much.

Ive sent some PMs and gotten some ideas and directions, but i really think that we need some more info on heat and how much.

PS. i tired my first bowl last night with all these bowl packing tips. Smoke wasnt harsh, very thick to, but didnt get much flavor.

HOW about we get some heat management tips now!

QUOTE (Webbles @ Apr 11 2008, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HOW about we get some heat management tips now!

For me ..

Exotica's : 2 1/4's on opposites sides of the bowl. Sometimes I rotate them but not often.

Coconaros: 3 in a Triangle. I flip em over about half way for more heat, and add a windcover.

Still havent tried the noob method yet.. I packed a bowl of horchata the regular way and smoked it the last 3 nights.. biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Did this the other day, smoked some Horchata. First set of coals I had great flavor and good smoke for about an hour, windcover on/off. Second day, last about 40 minutes with good smoke, started to die away at the hour mark.

Good method but i think i'll be sticking to my regular way biggrin.gif

• 3 months later...
so im currently trying this with my first tangiers ever and it isnt super harsh and utterly unsmokable like the 2 other times ive tried with other methods. it is tangiers grapefruit that arrived smelling nothing like grapefruit (i guess it had the infamous "soy sauce" smell but not even that really--it just smelled kind of bad) and has been acclimating for 4 or 5 days now. it still doesnt smell like grapefruit but the smell it did have has reduced considerably.

smoking out of a mya QT with room temp water, small phunnel bowl, packed and holes poked exactly as described (and it looks exactly like snoopy's pictures; i even have the same color bowl) with 2 HC coconut coals. clouds are decent and there is only a little throat tickle but there is basically no flavor. even the smoke has practically no smell besides a veeerry subtle and vague fruityness. what am i doing wrong? do i need even more acclimation? more/less heat? did i just get a bad batch of tangiers? i want so badly to like this stuff but i cant even get it to smell right. im thinking maybe i should try a different flavor but im hesitant to drop the cash for more tangiers if i utterly fail every time i try to smoke it.

QUOTE (zumicroom @ Aug 1 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so im currently trying this with my first tangiers ever and it isnt super harsh and utterly unsmokable like the 2 other times ive tried with other methods. it is tangiers grapefruit that arrived smelling nothing like grapefruit (i guess it had the infamous "soy sauce" smell but not even that really--it just smelled kind of bad) and has been acclimating for 4 or 5 days now. it still doesnt smell like grapefruit but the smell it did have has reduced considerably.

smoking out of a mya QT with room temp water, small phunnel bowl, packed and holes poked exactly as described (and it looks exactly like snoopy's pictures; i even have the same color bowl) with 2 HC coconut coals. clouds are decent and there is only a little throat tickle but there is basically no flavor. even the smoke has practically no smell besides a veeerry subtle and vague fruityness. what am i doing wrong? do i need even more acclimation? more/less heat? did i just get a bad batch of tangiers? i want so badly to like this stuff but i cant even get it to smell right. im thinking maybe i should try a different flavor but im hesitant to drop the cash for more tangiers if i utterly fail every time i try to smoke it.

Everything sounds right, if you are having issues with flavor and you seem to be doing everything right, you may need a little more baccy in there that will reduce the tickle in the throat and should help with flavor. If I was you I would try to stick with the best flavors in terms of success rate. Most people have success with melon blend, kashmir peach, cocoa, blue gum ball, schnozzberry, brambleberry, and there are a few others. I tried a few random flavors and had trouble, then tried those and had no issues, and now i can pretty much smoke any tangiers flavor.

For instance all of my tangiers flavors take 3 cocos to burn properly with good clouds and flavor. But for some reason static starlight likes 2 coals, so depending on the flavor things change. Try some of the more commonly bought flavors as I named above, and work from there.

Hope this helps,

good luck.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Doubon @ Sep 4 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
matt are you using a small or medium phunnel in your set-up?
three cocos seems like a lot to me on a small phunnel.

small phunnel, 3 cocos, and keep them on the very edge. Some of the tangiers flavors get a little warm so i drop one coal then add it back 10 min later. And then like I said some flavors like static starlight like 2 coals. But 90% of the tangiers bowls I smoke 3 coals is perfect.

Keep in mind how much shisha is in there. Even though it is a small it still holds a shat load of shisha.

• 4 weeks later...
I know that with the regular method you are supposed to poke the holes all the way down through the shisha.....Is it the same for this method?

Edit: (I know I brought this tread back but I didn't feel like littering the board with a new one so yea..) Edited by indian_villager

I just saw rayver's video and he didn't even pack to the top and he also didn't poke all the way down! I had tangiers on my first attempt with the melon blend snoopy sent me but I can't replicate my results!

yah I tried rayvers way and I failed miserably, I just use a mini fork and move the shisha over to the corner of the tub so I can scoop some up then put the fork face down and push away from the bowl so it sits in there snug, I think my prob lately has been over packing a lil 2 much whenever I re-check all of the tutorials, I'm like wow I packed it way higher than that.

atfer havin some failed attempts ( i havent smoked tangiers in a while) i did the scoop method, while it does use more tobacco then i smoke it worked wonders. i am actually gonna go bak 2 that bowl tonite as the only reason i stopped was cuz it was gettin late and i needed sleep lol. thumbs up for the scoop method.