Tangiers Noob Packing Method

Hi

I dont like starting threads. But this seemed a little bit important.

As we all know Tangiers requires some guesswork, and a lot of skill to get it to smoke properly. I think that a lot of people try Tangiers for the first time, can't get it smoking nicely, so quit and go back to smoking more traditional shisha. There are a number of tutorials on how to smoke Tangiers, but the problem is always the same. They require skill.

I'm a Tangiers noob. I've tried a lot of methods, but they all required too much skill for me to get going properly. Before my current success I was secretly thinking that the people who rave on about Tangiers probably just like harsh tobacco? Makes sense, doesn't it? Why wouldn't it? I know people who like eating Marmite!! But I was wrong, Tangiers doesn't have to have ANY harshness at all. But I would not believe that until I experienced it myself.

I'm certain that if newbies were given a "noob method" to use with Tangiers, a method that didn't require skill, that produced "reasonable smoke", no harshness. Then it'll encourage a lot of people to stick with Tangiers. And with that, they'll try the "proper way". Some of you may disagree with this, you may think that everyone should learn the proper way. That maybe if noobs learnt a different method then the wont learn the proper way. But let me ask you this, did you learn to run before you could crawl?

I'll cut to the chase, the punch line: Please, please, please, could all the hardcore Tangier smokers (e.g. EternalSoil, Canon, iamscott, RayverX, Mushrat, Snoppy1966, Scoop, TheCoalition, Coadename067, etc) try out the following method for packing Tangiers in a funnel bowl.

But I want to make one thing clear. I'm not asking you Pro's to adopt this method over your own, nor do I claim this to be the best method for packing Tangiers in a funnel bowl, I want that to be PERFECTLY clear. We're not aiming for perfection, because perfection requires SKILL. I simply want to find out if this is the easiest method to get Tangiers to smoke reasonably, not fabulously, not better than your method. Just good enough so that if someone prepared a bowl using this method you wouldn't spit in their face and beat then with the hookah hose, like a lowly servant.

And before someone says, "but with my method you simply look at the density in the tub and put x inches above the rim, etc". Look buddy, thats skill. Judging the density of tobacco inside a tub is skill, you can do it because its second nature, but for the rest of us its a mystery. And clearly its skill because thats the advice I and a number of people have tried and still managed to mess it up. Have a look at the following method, I believe it requires far less skill (and remember the golden rule: its a not a perfect method).

So whats the method:

1. Assume you've acclimatised Tangiers, room temp water in base.

2. Get phunnel bowl. Pack the bowl HARD with shisha. I mean push it down with your fingers till it ozze between them. Go around the bowl doing this. Put more shisha, and repeat. Leave a few millimeters space from the top of the bowl, just so that when the foil goes on it doesn't touch the shisha.

3. Put the foil over the bowl, but with shiny side up! Use something like a kebab skwer to make random holes over the foil, with a slightly larger hole in the middle.

4. Bowl done.

5. Place small bits of charcoal and test out the monster!

Hopefully you guys all have different setups, like different size hookahs, phunnel bowls, charcoal, etc. So if you try this out, please state what you used, and if you got "reasonable" smoke.

And finally. I'd REALLY appreciate it if you guys try this method. Please! Pretty Please! I really want to know if it works! Or is it just a fluke? Think about how cool it would be to have more people appreciate Tangiers? Wouldn't that be great? Aren't you frustrated by all the "Tangiers is harsh, blah, blah" comments

Thanking you in advance.

N

PS: Constructive critisms welcomed. For info. The hardcore method incorporates the wise words from the following:

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11299&hl=
http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showt...oking&st=20

But on the scale that Eric mentions, numbers 6-10 are probably not going to happen with the harcore method because the shisha never touchs the foil. And yes this method does require more tobacco than normal. Edited by manic007

I'll try it tonight, but clarification on hole patterns: are you doing a lot of large holes all over, a bullseye pattern, or what? This seems to greatly affect the way Tangiers has smoked for me. Also, are you poking the kebab stick all the way to the bottom of the bowl or just through the foil?

QUOTE (Khronokai @ Apr 8 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere to place the shiny side down for "health reasons" (something about the foil heating up). Couldn't find anything else on that though... Anyone else heard this?

Nah. General opinion goes along the lines of 'If it is safe enough to wrap your sunday roast in and cook, it is probably safe to smoke with it'

JD

QUOTE (voski @ Apr 8 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't mean to thread jack or anything but do you guys use small or medium phunnels?

I'v used.. medium/small and my mnh jet which is super small

im offended i wasn't included in the hardcore tangiers smokers.

easiest way to pack it, like i tell everyone, is to drag the bowl through tupperware with the tobacco in it. using the bowl to scoop up the mix till its full then evening it out with a fork from hole outwards.

QUOTE (ilitorate_author @ Apr 8 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason for shiny side up, is the dull side of aluminum foil is suppose to trap in heat. The only reason why i know this is I'm a short order cook. I don't know if it applies to sheesha, but it can't hurt, so i always do it.

you've got it a little backwards...

there's really not a noticable difference, though

snoopy just said SSUp to be funny... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 8 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you smoke anything but Tangiers?
QUOTE (Khronokai @ Apr 8 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere to place the shiny side down for "health reasons" (something about the foil heating up). Couldn't find anything else on that though... Anyone else heard this?

It's fine for your health. We usually put the shiny side down because of heat management reasons, and because the shiny side is less likely to stick to the shisha. Edited by gaia.plateau

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Apr 8 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 8 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you smoke anything but Tangiers?

nope. i have nakhla melon and apricot if i run out of tangiers before i can make it to san diego again. 5kilos is now down to around 2.

OK I am trying this out as promised right now. I packed it just like you said really tight and put the foil shiny side up. I put in on shiny side down at first because of habit then realized that and changed it before the coals were ready. Here are some pics of the set up and hole pattern

I think this will work for new people to try Tangiers. I am getting good flavor, the smoke is a little thin but not harsh at all. I am smoking the older Cinnamon Tangiers to test this out. Great job. Two thumbs up!!!

I would say I smoke Tangiers 99.5% of the time

i just tried it as well. not bad overall. id say its a good enough technique to use until you become pro at tangiers.
i switched back to normal packing after the first bowl.
btw grapefruit kicks ass. juicy fruit mmmm

I have done something similar... but without mashing it down...

I probably put about that amount in before but it was almost like a dome on the top. great smoke and flavor.

I do smoke differently now... i dont know why it works but i use a little less than i used to..

I guess i can try this tonight for you if i remember.

i'm working really late tonight though so i wont be able to smoke the whole thing.

Maybe just 2 rounds of coals rather than 3.

blush.gif thanks for including me!

QUOTE (bryankphotography @ Apr 8 2008, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
snoopys pics are golden

Yeah! he has neat things!

He's got:
A screwdriver
A coster
A pair of broken scissors
A tray he took from a fast food place
A hotplate/coilburner
A yellow pencil
A nice table
A printer (complete with printout)
A yellow ball
Berber carpet
A cable
Some trash
A desk
And some hookah stuff...

QUOTE (EternalSoil @ Apr 8 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bryankphotography @ Apr 8 2008, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
snoopys pics are golden

Yeah! he has neat things!

He's got:
A screwdriver
A coster
A pair of broken scissors
A tray he took from a fast food place
A hotplate/coilburner
A yellow pencil
A nice table
A printer (complete with printout)
A yellow ball
Berber carpet
A cable
Some trash
A desk
And some hookah stuff...

....yes, yes he does

Good observations btw. I bet this bowl could go another 2 rounds of coals. I am gonna stop soon already after 2 rounds or 3 coconaras. I will probably waste the rest and smoke something different later on. Works good though. I hope this will get more peoples to try Tangiers.

Hey guys. Thank you so much for all those people who have reported back. I wub you all! wub.gif

Oh yes to clarify the hole pattern jfaltous, its exactly how Snoppy1966 has done it

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showt...st&p=235629

You dont go all the way through. And the shiny side up, so I believe makes it harder for us noobs to accidently burn the shisha (which is the number one problem, far above any worrys about wasting charcoal).

PS: I'm sorry Scoop and TheCoalition for missing your names! Actually come to think of it, I've missed out George (Coadename067) ohmy.gif I'll add them asap! biggrin.gif