Exotica Coals From Hookahcompany Have White Spots?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had mold on my cawk, when I hadn't got any in a while...

I agree with Oggie...mold can grow on anything with the right cirumstances.
Wait a minute, can it grow on bleach or ammonia?

QUOTE (Oggie505)
Since I am the ones with the coals, I am the one that can say it is mold or not. also mold can grow on anything given the right environment. Hence its why one can only find mildew resistant products

Oggie is right ~ mould needs humidity, oxygen, and some form of nourishment, and that's all. It can grow on metal, stone, glass, coffee, lemon juice, soot, ash, etc. etc. etc. There's no reason at all to believe that mould would even have a difficult time growing on compressed charcoal.

QUOTE (PhishPhood @ Feb 26 2008, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I propose a 2 day ban for the next thread about how much their box of exoticas sucks.

Let's live in a world where people are thrown in jail for reporting on things we'd rather not hear about.

QUOTE (Canon @ Feb 26 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its not mold.. mold doesnt grow that way, its amazing how one person states its mold instead of the stuff that makes it harder and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and agrees.. can you all say BAHH?

All mold needs is proper moisture to culture it, it can grow on everything. You ever see mold on a house or in someones bathroom ceiling? Hmm, growth on wood is highly obtainable.

What's up with the bandwagon comments? For crying out loud you bought a KM and a syrian during their haydays...sheepy.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

QUOTE (QuiltedMaple @ Feb 26 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Canon @ Feb 26 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its not mold.. mold doesnt grow that way, its amazing how one person states its mold instead of the stuff that makes it harder and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and agrees.. can you all say BAHH?

All mold needs is proper moisture to culture it, it can grow on everything. You ever see mold on a house or in someones bathroom ceiling? Hmm, growth on wood is highly obtainable.

What's up with the bandwagon comments? For crying out loud you bought a KM and a syrian during their haydays...sheepy.

-QM

i got the syrian glyph as my first hookah because i loved how the stem looked, if you look at one of my earlier posts where i put up several hookahs to buy youll see that i almost got a mya vortex. and i got the KM trimetal because i love the stem. ive always been a fan of trimetal rings. my fiance bought me an MZ and a MYA.

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?showtopic=14892&hl=

thats the thread, infact everyone told me to get the al kareem, i went with vortex then i decided to go cheaper because mnh sold it at a cheaper price but i would have to order through mnh and h-s. instead of doing that i decided to get the glyph (if i did the price match through h-s they would take out the freebies) because it still looked awesome and it was a good deal. i didnt even know that everyone was rooting for syrians at that time. (they were going for a banned vendor syrian, which i didnt even put up as one of the hookahs i wanted.

my first hookah, i looked at alot of hookahs and i posted based off of which i thought were the best looking (including a chinese knockoff that my fiance ended up getting and it sucked) Edited by Canon

Either way, you just happened to start liking them when everybody else did. That's cool, I like them too, but it's when you rag people about jumping the bandwagon time and time again that gets me thinking of a hippo....

-QM

All this mold talk got me looking through my Bio 2 books on fungi. Turns out that mold is asexual unlike my favorite fungi, the basidocarp. Edited by QuiltedMaple

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Feb 26 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DOes it honestly matter what it is? I have a "good" batch of Exoticas, they burn fine (still have a terrible CO smell though) and ash just fine. I was using Jap pieces on one bowl with this Kid who has never hookah'd for real before (by "for Real" i mean with me, i'm the best on the wasatch front). I changed it to Exoticas cause i ran out of Japs Mid-Bowl. He goes [b]"WOW, i can really taste the coal."

um..CO is oderless..thats why its so dangerous...just for the record...

Hi Guys
This is my first post so I don't have any credibility on this forum.
I have been an active hokoah smoker for 5 years and I know what is good quality and bad. I can't prove that right now. What I doknow is that I have "friends" in the industry. WHat I have heard about this issue is that the latest container of exotica has come sprayed down with water. That will explain what is going on this thread and the other one. The container was sprayed so bad that even the outside of the box showed moisture damage. In addition, this is from the owner of exotica. Worse than that they are trying to sell the product even though it is defective and even worse they are unloading them to the market at cost just to get rid of them.
Again, you have no reason to belive me but a lot of you here have access to the same info as me. Ask around and what I posted will be confirmed.
BTW the reason they are coming sprayed with water is that charcoal is a dangerous good item and coming over with regular frieght. They can catch fire and that may have been the case or the shipper discovered the container was charcoal so took precautionary measures. Either way, you are smoking wet moldy coals.
Definately inspect your coals as they are jsut as important as the shisha you are smoking.

as far as being moldy, ive kept 2 black and 1 coal with the "mold" on it for 48 hours and notice no growth, infact when the "mold" gets wet it shows up black, and when it dries its the same way, when the black ones get dry they are still black. im going to keep the exoticas in the water (and warm) until i see some mold growth or until i have to move out of my dorm (at least a few moths)

as far as being moldy, ive kept 2 black and 1 coal with the "mold" on it for 48 hours and notice no growth

I thought you stated that mold cannot grow, so how do you have moldy ones?? Also I agree with soem that the little spec of white/silver is the binder, I have no problewms with that, but i can see mold and smell it, and it you look in my last thread and pics that was an unusually box of coals and it sure was nto biner, like my other boxes of exotica usually have.

QUOTE (erbaz @ Feb 29 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys
This is my first post so I don't have any credibility on this forum.
I have been an active hokoah smoker for 5 years and I know what is good quality and bad. I can't prove that right now. What I doknow is that I have "friends" in the industry. WHat I have heard about this issue is that the latest container of exotica has come sprayed down with water. That will explain what is going on this thread and the other one. The container was sprayed so bad that even the outside of the box showed moisture damage. In addition, this is from the owner of exotica. Worse than that they are trying to sell the product even though it is defective and even worse they are unloading them to the market at cost just to get rid of them.
Again, you have no reason to belive me but a lot of you here have access to the same info as me. Ask around and what I posted will be confirmed.
BTW the reason they are coming sprayed with water is that charcoal is a dangerous good item and coming over with regular frieght. They can catch fire and that may have been the case or the shipper discovered the container was charcoal so took precautionary measures. Either way, you are smoking wet moldy coals.
Definately inspect your coals as they are jsut as important as the shisha you are smoking.

Thanks Erbaz.

Can we get any confirmation of this - from anyone?

QUOTE (Oggie505 @ Feb 29 2008, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as far as being moldy, ive kept 2 black and 1 coal with the "mold" on it for 48 hours and notice no growth

I thought you stated that mold cannot grow, so how do you have moldy ones?? Also I agree with soem that the little spec of white/silver is the binder, I have no problewms with that, but i can see mold and smell it, and it you look in my last thread and pics that was an unusually box of coals and it sure was nto biner, like my other boxes of exotica usually have.

the topic of discussion here is the coals with white stuff on it. people claim its mold. and since i have a few coals with the "mold" (notice how i put the word mold into quotations meaning i dont think its mold, its like doing that with your fingers, its sarcastic)

people are saying the binder is mold. im simply saying that its not. im doing the experiment to prove one of us right and so far theres no mold on my wet coals.