Exotica Disposal

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 20 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (zeppyrkr @ Jan 20 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres no need for like 5 threads of pages bashing these coals, i think you have all decided you dont like them, so dont buy them, done deal.

Nobody's bashing or trying to convince anyone, it's just discussion brah.

Don't get foam on your keyboard or anything wink.gif

well ive heard your story like 5 times, i know you got bad coals, i feel bad for you it really sucks and i hope you get it worked out? i dont understand the need to revolve the forum around exotica coals anymore. well continue to discuss or whatever your trying to accomplish with this thread ill do you all a favor and but out ...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is that we are being called liars and cheats and only want free coals. I got sent bad coals and I want compensation. I think it is fair. As I just posted before, I will still buy them, unless I get more bad coals.

The ones that are good work great, I love'em

Cool to see Eric here. I am hooked on Tangiers, that is all I smoke now, and I have 17 flavors to choose from biggrin.gif

QUOTE (zeppyrkr @ Jan 20 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres no need for like 5 threads of pages bashing these coals, i think you have all decided you dont like them, so dont buy them, done deal.

well ive heard your story like 5 times, i know you got bad coals, i feel bad for you it really sucks and i hope you get it worked out? i dont understand the need to revolve the forum around exotica coals anymore. well continue to discuss or whatever your trying to accomplish with this thread ill do you all a favor and but out ...

^ I'm with him....

I'm actually done with these forums as a whole this is just getting stupid.
And that's not saying much I barely post here anyway but God knows what would happen if I was a vendor and had a problem, I'd probably have people come to my door and murder me....

fuck that just delete my account.

I'm just making sure things are straight, I never called anyone out as a liar or a cheat. 3 or 4 of you had a bad experience buying coals that were ruined. This much is true. Should you be compensated? Absolutely. But please, post a bad review on your experience in the coals section so that when people go around asking about which coals are good coals or what natural to use, you can tell them to check the reviews and roll the dice. That way, this topic can die peacefully. If they come on the forum and check the reviews and buy them anyway only for them to turn out to be bad, you can say "we warned you."

Snoopy, Gaia, and Mush, guys, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was somehow bashing you or discrediting your experience, though I dont think I did or was.

We're all cool here I hope. I didnt mean to make it sound like I was somehow fronting for Gabe or anything.

Peace? Truce?

This is a good thread!

I thought it was just me! After hearing the praises of Exoticraps I ordered 2 boxes. At the Same time I decided I would have to try Tangiers Lime (I personally love lime anything, and had never tried Tangiers.) When it got here I eagerly awaited 4 hours for the Shisha to hit a happy balance with the all-too-dry Minn winter air. Finally I got my chance... filled up my hookah and headed to the hot tub (it was a rough day... all that waiting)

The stuff tasted horrible in every possible way. I thought maybe I just wasn't a Tangiers type, or maybe my cat had hawked a hairball into the bowl when I wasn't looking... SOMETHING was wrong. Yesterday AM (too cold to go to work when my shop is freezing) I tried a bowl of my usual, again with the Exoticas (didn't really did not register the coals could be the prob.) It was none too good, almost an acrid smell as the coals came to temp. Also cracked easily. I thought it was the lighting procedure, maybe not enough time/heat. I let them sit 5 mins after lighting, I kept heat on them for an extended period, I even tried to light them with a carbon arc torch. Nothing worked, still "nasty" odor.

As I type I am enjoying that same Tangiers Lime I was thinking was horrible, with a rosewood coal, and I must say, it is the best lime I have had the happiness to encounter.

QUOTE (zeppyrkr @ Jan 20 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's your home address?

You'd better give it to us so we can call 911 and get a squad car over there to arrest the guy holding a gun to your head.

Thanks for the two bumps.
Edited by gaia.plateau

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 20 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just making sure things are straight, I never called anyone out as a liar or a cheat. 3 or 4 of you had a bad experience buying coals that were ruined. This much is true. Should you be compensated? Absolutely. But please, post a bad review on your experience in the coals section so that when people go around asking about which coals are good coals or what natural to use, you can tell them to check the reviews and roll the dice. That way, this topic can die peacefully. If they come on the forum and check the reviews and buy them anyway only for them to turn out to be bad, you can say "we warned you."

The fact that these threads are getting 50 and 60 and 160 replies means that they're interesting hookah discussion topics that people want to talk about... and as the issue is mostly concerning several vendors, and not the coals themselves, I don't agree that they should be relegated to coal reviews.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 20 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Snoopy, Gaia, and Mush, guys, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was somehow bashing you or discrediting your experience, though I dont think I did or was.

We're all cool here I hope. I didnt mean to make it sound like I was somehow fronting for Gabe or anything.

Never crossed my mind. Everyone has the right to challenge anyone else's suppositions or claims.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 20 2008, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it would be delightfully ironic to prove beyond a doubt the unusability of these dreadful coals, by covering them in the very same brand of hot sauce as the box they were shipped to me in.

Dude, my roommate LOVES that hot sauce. He puts it on everything.

edit:

Are exoticas supposed to look like this?

They don't look that bad to me, but they don't taste very good. They're straight out of the box I ordered from HC last week. I received them on Thursday, but haven't used very many due to the odd taste. Edited by Ralleac

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 21 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those don't look "bad" in a watedamaged way, but exoticas can be inconsistent... great coals when you get a good batch, but that's always a gamble.

And yeah that hot sauce is good shit.

eh, just checking. It's my first time ordering them. I may order one more box just to make sure, but I was mostly going for the preparation convenience. I can get a great smoke out of the bulk olivewood bags I buy locally, but no one around here carries quality finger coals. Rollands everywhere I go. **** dry.gif Edited by Ralleac

QUOTE (Ralleac @ Jan 21 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those don't look "bad" in a watedamaged way, but exoticas can be inconsistent... great coals when you get a good batch, but that's always a gamble.

eh, just checking. It's my first time ordering them. I may order one more box just to make sure, but I was mostly going for the preparation convenience. I can get a great smoke out of the bulk olivewood bags I buy locally, but no one around here carries quality finger coals. Rollands everywhere I go. **** dry.gif

Coconut coals seem to be the next thing on the horizon... I'm going to be picking up a few boxes soon, either the Coconara brand or the Indionesian ones from H-S (they're sending me some samples). I'll letcha know how they cook.

Are the olivewood ones available online?

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 21 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ralleac @ Jan 21 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eh, just checking. It's my first time ordering them. I may order one more box just to make sure, but I was mostly going for the preparation convenience. I can get a great smoke out of the bulk olivewood bags I buy locally, but no one around here carries quality finger coals. Rollands everywhere I go. **** dry.gif

Coconut coals seem to be the next thing on the horizon... I'm going to be picking up a few boxes soon, either the Coconara brand or the Indionesian ones from H-S (they're sending me some samples). I'll letcha know how they cook.

Are the olivewood ones available online?

Possibly. They're just natural charcoals for hookah (not processed into QLs or fingers). H-S sells Romman lemonwood, but you can probably get olivewood somewhere. I think I've seen someone mention rosewood, and I have some oak coals lying around as well. Edited by Ralleac

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Feb 2 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to post up that the new batch of Exoticas are great. I got 2 replacement boxes today for ones I got that were bad. Vendor is very helpful and sent them out as soon as he got them.

hey could you elaberate on these new ones, what are the differences, same packaging? ect, thanks snoop.

Well so far they are nice and dense, they have a good snap to them when you break them. Hardly any smell when you light, and no taste while smoking. I noticed the ash is a bit darker gray, they last long like the couple of good boxes I had before. They look the same, no spots or silver on them though. With a wind cover I can get 1 hour 15 to 20 min with 2/3rds of a stick. Two sets of coals are a perfect session for me.

yeah, i get headaches from my exoticas, too. kind of like the belgian coals i had. they smell horrible while being lit on the stove - just like the belgians that gave me killer headaches. plus, some of them crack on the stove, just like in the picture. however, i havn't had them actually break apart while on top of the bowl. they seem so smoke okay, except for the headahces. man, even my wife gets headaches from them when i smoke around her, even if she doesn't smoke at all. i read every review on them and i saw nothing but 10/10 ratings. if everyone hates them, then why aren't there more negative reviews in the reviews forum?

i'm going to post my review of them as soon as i run a few more tests. Edited by Dom

QUOTE (Dom @ Feb 4 2008, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, i get headaches from my exoticas, too. kind of like the belgian coals i had. they smell horrible while being lit on the stove - just like the belgians that gave me killer headaches. plus, some of them crack on the stove, just like in the picture. however, i havn't had them actually break apart while on top of the bowl. they seem so smoke okay, except for the headahces. man, even my wife gets headaches from them when i smoke around her, even if she doesn't smoke at all. i read every review on them and i saw nothing but 10/10 ratings. if everyone hates them, then why aren't there more negative reviews in the reviews forum?

i'm going to post my review of them as soon as i run a few more tests.

Because with exoticas, their either 10/10 or they like to make some 5/10 boxes too, its all about luck, as to headaches i got one once i smoked for long time with heavy hitting, felt like shit all night, but never had a problem before ... many people used to love them but when you get a bad box it just sucks. any way, new ones come out next month can't wait!

I have been giving my customers these Coals daily no complaints here except they take for ever to light. BUt the people that smoke naturals like them alot. The 3 Kings people will never change over in my shop. They are lazy americans like my self and want a bowl now.

We have lounges for customers here and not one complaint about bad coals. They have complained they burned to long and had to cut them in to 4 pieces though.

Its a love it or hate it coal.

I say if you get a bad batch from dealer X brng it to their attention. Honestly bicthing at gabe will not help. Trust me I am friends with gabe ( exotic imports) and he is basicly not even taking calls any more. Its got bad on him. I do know Gabe is working on new items for the business so he is busy. But 10 people complaining will not do it. I know theres more thats just a random #. Anyways complain to the companies you are buying from. They like my self will complain for you direct and from there if theres a problem gabe can address it.

Also anyone thought even for 1 minute Maybe, Just maybe they could have got wet at the dealers end? Maybe in shipping etc...? Once they elave exotic imports if they are good and then get wet in trnsit say to the DPG (or others) or get wet between the dealer and you that Gabe will naturaly say hey they were not bad you are scamming me but in fact the problem may lay between leaving his place and you. Remember they can get wet anywhere alog the way also. Remember just because its not raining where you are does not mean some Usps office in Poduck America is not getting rained on. Packages get wet all the time.

Just a thought. Kind of playing the Devils advocate on this 1.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Jan 21 2008, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a good thread!

I thought it was just me! After hearing the praises of Exoticraps I ordered 2 boxes. At the Same time I decided I would have to try Tangiers Lime (I personally love lime anything, and had never tried Tangiers.) When it got here I eagerly awaited 4 hours for the Shisha to hit a happy balance with the all-too-dry Minn winter air. Finally I got my chance... filled up my hookah and headed to the hot tub (it was a rough day... all that waiting)

The stuff tasted horrible in every possible way. I thought maybe I just wasn't a Tangiers type, or maybe my cat had hawked a hairball into the bowl when I wasn't looking... SOMETHING was wrong. Yesterday AM (too cold to go to work when my shop is freezing) I tried a bowl of my usual, again with the Exoticas (didn't really did not register the coals could be the prob.) It was none too good, almost an acrid smell as the coals came to temp. Also cracked easily. I thought it was the lighting procedure, maybe not enough time/heat. I let them sit 5 mins after lighting, I kept heat on them for an extended period, I even tried to light them with a carbon arc torch. Nothing worked, still "nasty" odor.

As I type I am enjoying that same Tangiers Lime I was thinking was horrible, with a rosewood coal, and I must say, it is the best lime I have had the happiness to encounter.

Excellent. Bwahahah.