Chinese Food And Drug Director Sentenced To Death

I'm still not sure where I stand on this issue.

On the one hand, he was corrupt and basically stealing (and/or facilitating theft) from his country.

It's only drastic I think, in comparison with the 'slap on the wrist' punishment CEOs and politicians receive here for doing the same and worse.

"Don't do it again. Now run along."

QUOTE (insidius @ Jun 5 2007, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still not sure where I stand on this issue.

On the one hand, he was corrupt and basically stealing (and/or facilitating theft) from his country.

It's only drastic I think, in comparison with the 'slap on the wrist' punishment CEOs and politicians receive here for doing the same and worse.

"Don't do it again. Now run along."

This guy apparently was taking bribes to bypass the testing requirements and allow untested prescription drugs on the market. He very well could have been sentacing others to death through these actions. I'm not neccassarily saying it is right that he got sentanced to death, but it is hard to feel sorry for him after such dispicable actions. Of course, our leaders continue to sentance our troops to death in a pointless war everyday. I would not, however, expect them to come to justice for their crimes anytime soon.

QUOTE (Blue Midnight @ Jun 5 2007, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Of course, our leaders continue to sentance our troops to death in a pointless war everyday....

No one joins the military without considering and accepting the fact that they may go to war, and die. No one is being sentenced, no one is forced to join the military in this country; they choose their profession, and they know the risks.

As for the topic at hand, I have little respect for those that put their wallets before the health and lives of others. I can only imagine if I had languished in a hospital, and ultimately died, how utterly pissed off my family would be...not to mention broke. Anyone that is in a position that affects so many people so dramatically should be punished fiercely when their morals and honor fail, to serve as a reminder that everyone is accountable for their actions...I think that gets lost far too often in today's society.

Its not just China either, what about our very own FDA, they allowed Merck to release a drug witch they both knew 100% was dangerous and would kill people and what happend they released a 'wondeful drug' called Vioxx witch the FDA said: "Was SAFE and effective." Merck and the FDA in my opinion are now guilty of the murders of 50,000 people. What happend, they pulled it from the market paid a little restituion and banked BILLIONS, THEY SHOULD BE IN JAIL!

QUOTE (dcrooksjr @ Jun 5 2007, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not just China either, what about our very own FDA, they allowed Merck to release a drug witch they both knew 100% was dangerous and would kill people and what happend they released a 'wondeful drug' called Vioxx witch the FDA said: "Was SAFE and effective." Merck and the FDA in my opinion are now guilty of the murders of 50,000 people. What happend, they pulled it from the market paid a little restituion and banked BILLIONS, THEY SHOULD BE IN JAIL!

Or executed. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kae @ Jun 5 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Of course, our leaders continue to sentance our troops to death in a pointless war everyday....

No one joins the military without considering and accepting the fact that they may go to war, and die. No one is being sentenced, no one is forced to join the military in this country; they choose their profession, and they know the risks.

People take drugs trusting those government officials who are responsible are going to do right by them and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the public health. When these government officials violate that trust, they should be punished. Similarly, people join the military under the implicit assumption that the military will be used in a responsible manner that is in the best interest of our country. When our leaders violate that trust (say, for example, by lying about a threat to our country and leading the military into war unnecessarily) they should be punished.

These soldiers are peoples children and brothers and sisters we are talking about here. Your whole "they choose their profession", blah blah, blah is just something that someone says that sounds tough, but in reality is just cold and doesn't at all consider the fact that it is our leaders who choose to go to war, not our military. These kids (who often join the military for college money) don't deserve to die on at the whims of irresponsible, chickenshit leaders who didn't serve their country when they had the chance.

Edited for excessive language:::rant off::: Edited by Blue Midnight

QUOTE (Blue Midnight @ Jun 6 2007, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These soldiers are peoples children and brothers and sisters we are talking about here. Your whole "they choose their profession", blah blah, blah is just something that someone says that sounds tough, but in reality is just cold and doesn't at all consider the fact that it is our leaders who choose to go to war, not our military. These kids (who often join the military for college money) don't deserve to die on at the whims of irresponsible, chickenshit leaders who didn't serve their country when they had the chance.

Edited for excessive language:::rant off:::

Actually, 95% of the people I know are active military, I am engaged to a US soldier, and have several family members in the service. I've lived for years at Ft. Benning, the oldest and largest Army installation in the country (I just moved from there 4mos ago). I have never spoken to a soldier that agreed with you; in fact, that attitude tends to piss them off, and ask why they even bother protecting this effin' country. I prefer to base my opinions on information straight from the horses mouth, rather than based on the government regulated media that you seem to be getting your facts from. Funny, you seem to hate the gov't so much, yet you are letting them shape your opinions. Go talk to some soldiers, people that have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, and make a fully informed opinion, because right now, you are coming off as completely ignorant to everyone that knows anything about how the soldiers actually feel about being out there.

My apologies to the OP for the thread-hijacking! Edited by Kae

QUOTE (Kae @ Jun 5 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE WAY

QUOTE (Kae @ Jun 6 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Blue Midnight @ Jun 6 2007, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited for excessive language:::rant off:::

Actually, 95% of the people I know are active military, I am engaged to a US soldier, and have several family members in the service. I've lived for years at Ft. Benning, the oldest and largest Army installation in the country (I just moved from there 4mos ago). I have never spoken to a soldier that agreed with you; in fact, that attitude tends to piss them off, and ask why they even bother protecting this effin' country. I prefer to base my opinions on information straight from the horses mouth, rather than based on the government regulated media that you seem to be getting your facts from. Funny, you seem to hate the gov't so much, yet you are letting them shape your opinions. Go talk to some soldiers, people that have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, and make a fully informed opinion, because right now, you are coming off as completely ignorant to everyone that knows anything about how the soldiers actually feel about being out there.

My apologies to the OP for the thread-hijacking!

The media, huh? Or is it the government that is shaping my opinions? Both? Are they working together to brainwash me? Ha!

Judging from your comment, it would appear as though you are the only one who knows soldiers or has family and friends on active duty. The truth, however, is that you have your opinions and I have mine. Soldiers have all kinds of opinions, just like everybody else. Instead of arguing your point, however, you are just going to claim how you are so smart and know so much about what soldiers think, and I am so dumb and brainwashed by the "liberal media". Well, case closed I guess.

I'll leave the broad generalizations and talking for soldiers to you. I don't pretend to represent soldiers or their opinions, only myself and my own.

P.S. I will not comment further because I agree that this is off topic. Also, this thread may have been hijacked, but you are a co-partner in this hijacking, so don't start typing your opinions and then apologize as if you are some great noble poster or somehow aren't involved. Edited by Blue Midnight

QUOTE (Blue Midnight @ Jun 6 2007, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kae @ Jun 6 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never spoken to a soldier that agreed with you; in fact, that attitude tends to piss them off, and ask why they even bother protecting this effin' country.

The media, huh? Hmmm....

I don't pretend to speak for all soldiers, only myself. I'll leave those broad generalizations to you....

If you'll re-read without preconceptions, you will see that I was not making a broad generalization. I was not speaking for all soldiers. I simply stated that the majority of people that I talk to are soldiers, and none of THEM have agreed with you.

For the record, I do not think that this war should continue. Give a man a fish, etc...I happen to live in a very very liberal part of the country, and my fiance gets hit, kicked, spit on, and called a baby-killer on a daily basis, just for wearing his uniform. The other parents at our childrens' school will not allow their kids to play with ours, because he is in the Army. So, you can see why I would have strong beliefs on the subject. No part of any of my posts were meant to be personal, or offensive, and I apologize if they were taken as such. I just urge people to be educated on all sides of an argument before making their decision. And, if you are, and still decide that troops are being needlessly sentenced to death, then fantastic. Differing opinions, attitudes, and beliefs are what make life interesting, imho =]

*EDIT: In actuality, I was taking full responsibilty in the thread hijacking. Edited by Kae

It seems very insulting to soldiers when they see people who aren't soldiers criticizing their intelligence level about joining the military. They are well aware of the clusterfudge decisions of politicians. Since when was the last time there was a politician everyone loved? Answer: Never.

Did he deserve death for this? For Bribes? Absolutely not. I hate the "squishy emotionalism" associated with wanting to burn a man in hell for what people did with Enron several thousand miles away. People have CEO envy and want to over extend the arm of punishment to corporate criminals. People always hate the rich.

By the way, i'm no soldier, CEO or the rich. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jamal @ Jun 5 2007, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I read, seems abit harsh death for accepting bribes, but hey welcome to captial punishment. dry.gif

More like "welcome to communist china"

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 8 2007, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I read, seems abit harsh death for accepting bribes, but hey welcome to captial punishment. dry.gif

whats wrong with communism again ?

And what's wrong with class warfare? Once again, we see that the wealthy and priveleged decide the fate of the common man, and it's rarely in their favor (the common man's, that is) Kae, I don't think anybody was denigrating the motives of those who have joined the armed forces. What some of us resent is the way that these men and women have been manipulated into fighting a war that should never have been waged in the first place. All along, the war in Iraq has been a war of personal gain and revenge. I, for one, hate to see lives being wasted for one man's glory. And, if anyone thinks there is no such thing as class distinction in this country, they are, in my opinion, sadly mistaken. Sorry for the continued hijacking of this thread.

QUOTE (PerznPerversion @ Jun 8 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with communism is that its flawed, just like every other government. That being said, in communist china the guys at the top make the rules. The government controls the people instead of the people controlling the government. Now, I dont want to get into a huge argument about capitalism vs. communism, but i dont see how you can say that people in china have just as many freedoms as people in america or canada or in europe.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 8 2007, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with communism is that its flawed, just like every other government. That being said, in communist china the guys at the top make the rules. The government controls the people instead of the people controlling the government. Now, I dont want to get into a huge argument about capitalism vs. communism, but i dont see how you can say that people in china have just as many freedoms as people in america or canada or in europe.

i nvr said they were more free now did i ??

If Communism was actually practiced how its supposed to, it wouldnt be a shithole. Not to mention in most cases it can make a country that has potential to be a superpower actually become a superpower. Its one of the best systems out there just like democracy. Just to let you know, we arnt a full democracy in america either.. hmmm

QUOTE (PerznPerversion @ Jun 10 2007, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 8 2007, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i nvr said they were more free now did i ??

If Communism was actually practiced how its supposed to, it wouldnt be a shithole. Not to mention in most cases it can make a country that has potential to be a superpower actually become a superpower. Its one of the best systems out there just like democracy. Just to let you know, we arnt a full democracy in america either.. hmmm

First of all, you didn't. Communism is a good idea, but when it is implemented in the real world it goes to shit. I'm not going to sit here at my computer and tell you that Communism is the "Evil Empire" but I just cannot agree that it is good as a "true democracy", but I value my freedom above my personal safety. In my humble opinion, I would rather have my freedoms than live in a country that was on its way to becoming a new superpower and not have as many freedoms. Just my two cents.