Smileys Price Increase

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be buying Smileys again. Im with symptom, it was borderline worth it at $7. The shisha is okay, nothing great. I was maybe thinking I might give another flavor or two a try before, but not now. Edited by Twang

This is sad, I was just about to order several different flavors to try it out. It seems to be pretty well-liked around here, and $7 was a reasonable price. Oh well, here's hoping it's just temporary... unsure.gif

Well for all we know, the stuff required to make his tobacco went up in price, so to stay afloat he in turn needs to raise his prices.

My family is in the business of jewelry, and deal with a lot of gold and silver. Silver has gone up a bit in the last month or so, so we need to reflect that change in price with all of our current inventory. People notice the increase and comment on it, but if your product is good, people are willing to pay the extra and roll with the bumps.

I'm sure Smiley wouldn't raise the price of his goods unless he had to. Hell he's the one who started Hookahclub.com in the first place to offer better deals to the consumers.

So like I said, I'm sure he had to do what he had to do. For the people who enjoyed his stuff in the past, $2 bucks shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Give the guy a break. You don't know what his costs to make the stuff are, and I doubt that the price increase is being used to purchase a small island in the Carribean. Besides, it's only a 2 cent increase in price per gram. That works out to 30 cents per bowl if you are smoking a 15 gram bowl. That's certainly not going to break the bank...

QUOTE (newsman @ May 22 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give the guy a break. You don't know what his costs to make the stuff are, and I doubt that the price increase is being used to purchase a small island in the Carribean. Besides, it's only a 2 cent increase in price per gram. That works out to 30 cents per bowl if you are smoking a 15 gram bowl. That's certainly not going to break the bank...

yeh guys chill da f*&# out.. too much complaining on this forum lately..

QUOTE (newsman @ May 22 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its like a 30% increase though lol

maybe like 5-10% more but 30% is sorta outrageous. Im bad at math maybe my calculations are wrong haha

What would you have him do? Smiley gives you the best deal he can, and always does. I have a question for all the posters who are downgrading Smiley's shisha. What type of bowl do you smoke it in, and do you smoke with foil or glass screen?

Smiley's tastes best and lasts longer in a pyrex bowl with a glass screen. A phunnel bowl with the glass thimble mod is about the same. The flavor (or lack thereof) that foil smokers are experiencing is caused by the glycerin burning off in one spot instead of even heat distribution. Even with a clay bowl and glass screen the flavor difference was enough to make me switch for good. After Smiley invented the glass bowl, I don't smoke without a glass screen or thimble. These specialty bowls all have a special way to load them and after you pay attention, you will have better sessions, less alluminum poison headaches, and more appreciation for the Smiley's. I do not mean to offend. Maybe because I've been spoiled by Smiley himself, as well as having other vendors show me how to use the products they make, I am just offering a different perspective.

I have a lot of experience with the Tangiers and Smiley bowls. I have tried other so-called pyrex bowls without the same results. This is also because Smiley is commited to quality. He uses German Corningware Pyrex, which is exclusively used for cooking. Smiley chose this kind of glass because of it's heat distribution properties. Using just the glass screen on a clay bowl, it's like putting your shisha in a 450-degree crock pot. It's actually cooking the tobacco, releasing the niccotine sugar from the shisha. With this process, you get less carcinogens and more sugar vapor(flavor), and niccotine. Whatever tobacco you smoke, it will probably taste better with corningware pyrex. If it doesn't you're probably doing something wrong(clogging the bowl, using too much heat, etc.) If anybody has a problem using glass, I'd be glad to produce a video showing how to load your bowl of choice with a glass screen or thimble.

I wish you all the best, and keep asking questions. Without our opinions, we'd be sheep. I normally don't post anything unless I have something to say, and in this arena, I think I might be able to contribute. Smiley is not only the guy I would trust to load my pipe, I am also his second worst critic. I'm his younger brother. So if I thought 9.95 was so high that I wouldn't buy it, I wouldn't sell it that high either.

regards,

Randy Smiley

QUOTE (PerznPerversion @ May 22 2007, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newsman @ May 22 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its like a 30% increase though lol

maybe like 5-10% more but 30% is sorta outrageous. Im bad at math maybe my calculations are wrong haha

Actually, it's more like a 42% increase, but on a bowl by bowl basis it only adds about 30 cents per bowl. Let's face it, hookah smoking is kind of a luxury activity to begin with. If you enjoy Smiley's tobacco, what's the difference? Ante up the extra $2.95. Hell, in my neck of the woods, people shell out about 6 buck for a pack of cigarettes that they smoke in a day. Compared to that, $9.95 for tobacco that's going to last a lot longer than that doesn't seem so bad.

I have never smoked Smiley's....and this price increase is not going to stop me from buying some to try it out (like blaze said). I mean the $2 or so difference isnt really that bad......its not like if you buy it one time you have to keep buying it forever. If you were going to try it before I dont really see why you wouldn't anymore.

For those who frequently buy Smiley's it is a lot more of a difference, I understand, but hey don't completely shut out the guy. If you liked his stuff then continue to support him.

thats my whateva Edited by Hannibal

I don't see anyone complaining. I see people posting their opinion about the topic at hand. This is a forum after all.
Some may feel the price increase is no big deal, and they like the shisha enough to continue to buy it. That's cool. Others, like myself, may feel it is not worth it at that price. That's cool too.
It is all about how you look at it. A price increase of 30 cents a bowl isn't a big deal. But you have to look at the big picture (peoples perspective will differ), how does the price and quality compare to other brands. For me, I'd rather buy something else instead. Edited by Twang

dude guys chill.

Smiley said that he had to raise his prices due to the increasing price rise of everything he needed to make the stuff. Including tobacco, shipping coasts to ship everything to him, gas charges, everything has played a factor and unfortunately he had to raise his prices.

He said that this should be the first and last rasie though.

He's a busy man. But before the sticks and tourches and such started to be raised i wanted to let you guys know he didn't want to do it... it's just a ness. evil.

QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ May 22 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dude guys chill.

Smiley said that he had to raise his prices due to the increasing price rise of everything he needed to make the stuff. Including tobacco, shipping coasts to ship everything to him, gas charges, everything has played a factor and unfortunately he had to raise his prices.

He said that this should be the first and last rasie though.

He's a busy man. But before the sticks and tourches and such started to be raised i wanted to let you guys know he didn't want to do it... it's just a ness. evil.

+1, to what KK said

QUOTE (Shifty @ May 22 2007, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, and all i was doin was givin the FYI.

Phew!

HAHAHAHAHA Good thing huh?! lol An extra $2.95 is not going to stop me either. How many of you smoke StarBuzz? If you do, point proven. That's the most expensive shisha. Quit your bitching. It's smoking. I hate to hear smokers complain about how much shit costs. If you're becoming poor, stop smoking! You choose to either buy it or not. If you don't wanna buy it, keep it to your damn self. Don't knock Smiley for it. It's a little thing called INFLATION. Ever heard of it? Damn you people are cruel. Even if he is pumping up the price to get rich, maybe something happned in his life. Like expensive medical bills. Stop being so selfish.

Smiley, the price increase is not going to stop me from trying your shisha for the first time. I've got about 5 flavors that I picked from the reviews section that I want to try. Margarita in particular. I've heard you're flavors are crazy goodness. I buy premium stuff anyway. If you enjoy it, it's worth paying for.

Just my 2 cents. Yell at me if you want. But those are the facts and opinions I present. It won't be me getting kicked off the forum. I agree with Sean, there's too much complaining on the forum lately. This should be a happy hookah haven. Not a cut-throat place to argue. We love hookah here and we like this place to be happy. Am I right people?

QUOTE (yashman19 @ May 22 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop looking for trouble... Stay calm and civil, or we'll be giving temp bans to give people a chance to cool off...

From this point on...

Hope that wasn't aimed at me. I'm trying to tell people the same thing. I just used the same word "civil" in another thread about watching what you say. Boulderkid303 was doing somethign, that thread.

I like getting help and helping people in a happy atmosphere. This place seems to have more diversified conversation when people are happy.