Cigars

nuschultz

QUOTE (ksblazer @ Dec 24 2006, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick question?

What is your New Years cigar going to be?

I plan on smoking some hookah before the new year, but come midnight. It's time to break out the cigar biggrin.gif

I plan on smoking either a Bolivar corona Gigante or either a Trinidad Fundadore smile.gif Cuban of course

Time to smoke your best, to start out the New Years right.

Nice choices! Bolis are a staple in my humi, and I wish I had any Trini Fundadores left sad.gif .
I've been debating what to fire up for new year's for the past week or so, lol.
I'll probably smoke an '04 Sublime or a PSD4 or maybe and old '98 Cohiba CE. Then again, I'm still waiting on a secret santa package from my cigar board, so maybe I'll light up one of those sticks instead.
I've also recently picked up a box of Tatuaje Noellas Reservas, but I think I want those guys to sleep for a little bit first.
Of course I'll be using my brand new CAO Cubist ashtray biggrin.gif . That thing is HOTT!

TYLER Edited by Halon

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sosa's are superb, so nice avatar worr lord. i used to like macanudos when i first started smoking cigars, but they tend to be bland and unsophisticated in flavor. the gold labels are a different story though, from what i hear. punch's are solid for a relatively inexpensive smoke, but pretty much all Montecristos and the H. Upmann Vintage Cameroons are among my favorites.

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Dec 27 2006, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smoked that Hampton Court... I don't think that Cigars are my thing

Maybe Macanudos aren't your cup of tea. I personally can't stand them -- they're too mild and have zero complexity IMO. I would recommend maybe trying one of the CAO lines (Criollo, gold, or red label would be my choice), an Onyx reserve, a Padron x000 series, or something else a little more medium-bodied as opposed to a Macanudo. An RyJ or a Punch might also be good.
I know that Onyx Reserve mini belis got me hooked, tho. But hey, everybody can't like everything. If you decide they aren't for you, then you should smile and be happy! God knows how much money I would have saved by not getting into the hobby!

TYLER

QUOTE (Halon @ Dec 27 2006, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ksblazer @ Dec 24 2006, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick question?

What is your New Years cigar going to be?

I plan on smoking some hookah before the new year, but come midnight. It's time to break out the cigar biggrin.gif

I plan on smoking either a Bolivar corona Gigante or either a Trinidad Fundadore smile.gif Cuban of course

Time to smoke your best, to start out the New Years right.

Nice choices! Bolis are a staple in my humi, and I wish I had any Trini Fundadores left sad.gif .
I've been debating what to fire up for new year's for the past week or so, lol.
I'll probably smoke an '04 Sublime or a PSD4 or maybe and old '98 Cohiba CE. Then again, I'm still waiting on a secret santa package from my cigar board, so maybe I'll light up one of those sticks instead.
I've also recently picked up a box of Tatuaje Noellas Reservas, but I think I want those guys to sleep for a little bit first.
Of course I'll be using my brand new CAO Cubist ashtray biggrin.gif . That thing is HOTT!

TYLER

I smoked a PSD4 last year for New Years. PSD4's are deffinatly my favorite Robusto. They are awsome with age and one of the few young cigars that I enjoy as well.

My favorite 4 lines are Partaga, Punch Trinnidad & Bolivar Edited by ksblazer

QUOTE (stevehookah @ Dec 27 2006, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bud of mine stopped by with some 50 dollar Cubans...

Left me one...

Will post the 'band' when I smoke it.

$50?!? What brand/vitola is it? Is it an EL? Did he purchase them from an LCDH?
A $50 cuban seems really sketchy, but ya never know. As mentioned above, it could very well be fake, but don't let that stop you from enjoying it. I've smoked plenty of fakes that turned out nicely.
Fake or not, a good cigar is a good cigar.
Post some pics when ya get a chance!

TYLER

QUOTE (Halon @ Dec 28 2006, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (stevehookah @ Dec 27 2006, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bud of mine stopped by with some 50 dollar Cubans...

Left me one...

Will post the 'band' when I smoke it.

$50?!? What brand/vitola is it? Is it an EL? Did he purchase them from an LCDH?
A $50 cuban seems really sketchy, but ya never know. As mentioned above, it could very well be fake, but don't let that stop you from enjoying it. I've smoked plenty of fakes that turned out nicely.
Fake or not, a good cigar is a good cigar.
Post some pics when ya get a chance!

TYLER

I can't agree with you more, Tyler. Just because a cigar came from Fidel Castro's private Trinidad stash doesn't make it good, and the same rule applies to counterfeit stogies.

I've never purchased cigars from a LCDH location (La Casa del Habano for those who don't know), but a friend of mine has. Depending on where he bought it, it very well could be a legitimate Cuban with a big price tag. I'm told that in some places in Canada, certain DR cigars cost bundles more than authentic Cubans. For instance, we may pay $6 for a Hemingway Short Story, whereas someone in Canada is paying $25 per stick.

I am smoking it. Here is a site with the cigar.
Cigar

I can scan the actual band if needed. However, trust me, that's the one.

The hallmarks of a good cigar.
1) No wife complaints
2) Flavour does not change with size
3) Never bites
4) does not turn to mush in your mouth
5) Same pleasure from first puff to last
6) Can let it go out, and relight with no harshness

However, at $719 US for 25, I am glad my bud gives them to me. I stick with hookah until he visits, and we swap tobacco.

QUOTE (stevehookah @ Dec 28 2006, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is an untouched scan of the band.. Thanks for your interest..

p.s. No problem, just sharing..

Esplendidos are quite a smoke! How was it? That's a hefty price tag there! Is the gold cohiba lettering recessed into the band, or raised up? At the top of the band, the third dot looks little trimmed off, too.

Your friend sounds like a pretty generous guy! I wish I had friends that would give me esplendidos!
Does he get his cigars from the site you linked to us? I really hope I don't come off too asshole-ish. I'm not trying to criticize you or your friend -- cigars are just my passion and I love learning as much about them as I can.

TYLER

Tyler beat me to it >_<. Also, there seems to be a bit too much yellow underneath of where it says "Habana, Cuba", but this could very well be a printing mistake made by Cohiba.

And I too apologize if I seemed like an ass, I surely don't mean to act as such.

lol i had a cigar tonight. Yall will kill me if i tell ya what brand tongue.gif

Back story first: I started smoking tobacco at about 16, cheap cigarettes and cigars, what i could buy with lunch money. When i hit 17 i found hookah, and when i turned 19 i started smoking hookah regularly.

Well from time to time, for some reason i get craving those old crap brands. I dont know what it is about it, but the White Owl Peach ones just get me every time XD Whenever im somewhere that sells tobacco, and i see them sittin pretty behind the counter, i just get so tempted tongue.gif only 90 pennys for a nice smoke.

Oh well as they say, to each his own tongue.gif

For clarification, this is what im smokin right now:
https://www.lilbrown.com/index.cfm?productid=3940

I also got a Phillies Sour Apple, cause i havent had one of those in a while either tongue.gif

And yea ive had really good cigars as well. Went to the state fair one year, and they happened to have a section where they had a guy from cuba, who had been rolling cigars his whole life, doing demonstrations. I think the ones he was rolling, where upwards of like $75 a piece, if you had bought one in a store. Somethin like that. Anyways, they gave away the ones he rolled in the show for free, along with the first 5 people got a cutter, i was number 1 on the next showing tongue.gif Now that was a damn good cigar, perfect in every way, a very nice flavor, and good smoke. If not for the high price tag i would have bought a box of em they had for sell there as well.

No frets fellas, not thinking you are being arses.. The scan was just that. I put it on my all-n-one printer/fax/scanner/copier and hit the button.

The scan does not show it, but the COHIBA is raised gold lettering. If the 'yellow' is off it's because I let it got out 4 times, and laid it on the table where I also had chips. I can see the 'grease' stains. -embarassed-

The smoke was the best I've ever had, well as far as cigars go, and it had no 'bite' all the way to the last 1/2". I even put the rest in a pipe amd smoked it...

No, my bud does NOT buy these off the site I posted, that was just for referance.. He buys them in Cuba, and brings them home.

-cheers-

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Dec 29 2006, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone try the avo 80? best cigar made but hard to find

AVO and Ashton cigars are generally too rich for my blood. Not that I don't enjoy a nice VSG, I just don't think they're worth $13+, when you could be getting the same wrapper (and very similar overall flavor) in a $6 Sosa Exclusive Series.

But to answer your question, no. I haven't had an AVO 80 yet, and I don't plan to for a while tongue.gif

QUOTE (worr lord @ Dec 30 2006, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Dec 29 2006, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone try the avo 80? best cigar made but hard to find

AVO and Ashton cigars are generally too rich for my blood. Not that I don't enjoy a nice VSG, I just don't think they're worth $13+, when you could be getting the same wrapper (and very similar overall flavor) in a $6 Sosa Exclusive Series.

But to answer your question, no. I haven't had an AVO 80 yet, and I don't plan to for a while tongue.gif

you need to try the avo 80, it is different that almost evry other avo and even almost evry cigar and and in the next few years they will be almost impossible to find so you might as well try thm while they are only 15 bucks and i can almost garentee tht they will be a delightful treat Edited by ASUSEAN1

QUOTE (worr lord @ Dec 30 2006, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, ONLY $15... I haven't spent $15 on a single stick in months, if ever.

On another note, my friend claims his local shop is selling Opus X's for $10-$13, I'll have to investigate this one...

you gotta role with the big boys haha

So I was out with my dad tonight, getting dinner. I told him earlier I was planning in stopping in my cigar shop on the way home, and blowing my $80 on a box of Onyx Reserve Mini Belicosos. So we get in there, and of course, I browse around a bit. Every time I'm in there, I ask him when he'll be getting a box of Hemingway Best Sellers in, and I'm always told something along the lines of "it's hard for us to get them, let alone keep a box around, sorry". So with a tear in my eye, I head in the direction to my Onyx Reserves, but first take a look at the 4 unopened boxes of CAO Sopranos on a top stocking shelf, and see a little box hidden behind various other boxes, Hemingway Best Sellers.

So long story short, my dad OFFERED to pay for them, split them, or whatever I wanted happy.gif. So we agreed to split 'em, and upon further inspection, the cellos are slightly yellowed.

I love my daddy. Edited by worr lord