Tokel Turkish Hookahs: Excellent Alternative To Elmas

Okay, so just thought I'd make a thread on this, since there seems to be so much interest... I got my Turkish Canary hookah from this guy who I found on eBay. He was posting standard 628 style Turks for around $35-40 plus $40 shipping. Not a bad deal. I sent him a message and asked what brand they were, as they looked pretty good to be non-Elmas. He at first told me they were "just Turkish," but I explained to him that here in the States we often go by brand name, and mentioned Elmas. I linked him to NargileStore.com, to show him what I meant. After this, he understood and informed me that the pipes he was selling are Tokel brand. He also told me that In Turkey they don't really care about what brand a pipe is. Anyway, looking at Tokel Nargile's website, I found this beaut:

http://tokelnargile.com/tr/nargile-serleri/136-kanaryali-ser.html

These animal figure hookahs are similar to the ones made by Elmas. You'll notice that the Canary one I got is veeeeery similar to the Elmas 639 model. According to Hassouni, it's damn near identical (tray rest and hose port are different, but these parts are known to vary even on the same model Elmas). Hassouni actually believes that my Canary hookah I received is really an Elmas 639 with the birds screwed/welded on. Possible, if you look at both shanks. They're the exact same, except for the tacked-on birds. Anyway, I'll let him elaborate more on that, if he wants.

The other animal figure hookahs are taller I believe, and don't exactly resemble any certain Elmas model. You can view them all here, in case you find the Tokel site hard to navigate (don't bother loading the page in Google Translate, it fucks it all up): http://tokelnargile.com/tr/10-nargile-serleri

Additionally, here are their standard models, with all the accessories: http://tokelnargile.com/tr/16-kahveci-takimlari

Anyway, in case you missed it, here is the review of my Canary shank I received. It gives more details that are related to this thread. Read it now and come back to this thread: http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/49785-turkish-canary-hookah/

You back? Okay, good. Hope you enjoyed the review. Anyway, I talked to the guy about the packaging job and items left out. He was very sorry and offered to send the missing items free of charge. I told him I appreciated the offer but did not really need them. I got what I needed/wanted- shank, tray, and windcover. As for the horrible packaging job, he told me he did not package my shipment personally, but that he would make sure that all future orders were properly packaged before shipping out. The month's waiting time was not his fault. Just slow international shipping time. It would be nice if he could offer expedited shipping for folks who needed it, but I'm not sure if he does this or not. For the price I paid, I feel like the wait was worth it.

Anyway, his name is Bora and is better at English than you'd think. Super quick email communication. Nice guy to chit-chat with. His ebay store is turkeysonline, and as I'm to understand, he will have a site up sometime soon, under the same name. But for now you can order through eBay. I actually prefer eBay, due to the buyer protection it offers. I didn't order mine via eBay, but I did pay through PayPal, so I could have disputed it had problems arisen.

So yeah, if you want a Turk at a decent price and don't care about brand names, I think this is a good alternative to Elmas. It's what I've been talking about ever since Elmas became popular on the forums, and it looks like finally someone is following through and seeing there is a demand to meet.

He can get any Tokel model from their site, as I'm to understand. I have his personal email address if anyone wants it (PM me), or you can contact him via his eBay profile. Just be sure to tell him exactly what you want (send him links/pics) and verify it before paying.

Here's his eBay store showing his current stock: http://www.ebay.com/sch/turkeysonline/m.html?item=160971926255&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257aacaaef&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Hope this helps some of you out who are looking for cheaper alternatives to Elmas, like I was. Any questions, ask away.

Cheers,

Chris

• Upvote 1

Chris's new pipe is IDENTICAL to an Elmas 639. If it's not actually an Elmas, then they got one, copied it for a mold, and are casting it.  Something to keep in mind is that Tokel is a shop in addition to a manufacturer, and they sell a lot of stuff that clearly isn't their own (including Chinese and Syrian stuff). It could well be that they had a few 639s in stock and found some canaries to add.  

I've perused the hell out of their site - Most of their hoses are cheesy looking, and most of their glass is not as nice as that sold with branded Elmas pipes. The windcovers, tongs, and trays are not as nice either.

Further, their İşlemeli model is not as nice as the Elmas 628, the animal designs are different, the Büyük/Battal Tuğrali (639 style) is identical to the Elmas, some of the others look similar or identical, such as the Dünyalı or İzmir models.

BUT their 618-style aka Tuğralı, that this guy Bora has on eBay right now, looks noticeably better than the Elmas 618 - it has more cast engravings and a bit more detail in them, and overall looks more refined and elegant.  It's not exactly a great deal, at $130 shipped, but it also comes with a VERY nice looking cut glass/crystal base.  It's going to take serious willpower for me not to buy one.

I haven't smoked one or seen one in person, but these look like quality pipes that will smoke just as well as an Elmas - from this eBay guy they're ROUGHLY on par with Nargilestore pricing - Nargilestore is slightly cheaper, ships a bit faster, and the Elmas trays, tongs, hoses and windcovers are nicer...

I think it's just a matter of personal preference - I'd definitely take the Tokel Tuğralı over the Elmas, but the Elmas İslemeli (628) over the Tokel. I'm sure both are of comparable quality.

I do want to note that the tray I got with this Canary seems more durable than the Elmas tray I owned. I felt like I was going to accidentally bend the Elmas tray, but that's of no concern with this one. Yes it's uglier, but I love the durability of it. The etchings on the Elmas one weren't really that pronounced anyway.

The windcover is total opposite, though. The Tokel one feels like I could crush with one hand, whereas the Elmas one was pretty sturdy. I like the little flame cutout on the Tokel one, though.

I agree, the Tokel 618 model is much cleaner and nicer looking than the Elmas 618. I might have kept my 618 had I gotten the Tokel version. :lol:

I don't think Tokel is an actual manufacturer of nargiles...however they have a shop and have a brand name they have others make for them to sell in there shop.

Thats just my guess though

Why does it matter? Who really cares? To me, brand names don't matter, but the name is merely an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish goods. I don't care if Tokel makes them or just slaps their name on the pipes. It's a matter of reference when telling folks what is good and what is shit. For example, when people ask where to find a good Turkish hookah, you tell them Elmas, no? It doesn't matter if Elmas actually makes the pipes themselves or not (which we know that they do in this case). My point is, Elmas has become an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish brass. Now that I have purchased this Tokel and held it in my own hands, smoked from it, etc.... I feel it's safe to recommend them to people as well. Again, I don't care who actually makes the damn thing. As long as it's good quality.

Same goes for Egyptians. We know that several (and probably way more) brands of Egyptian pipes are made in the same factory. Farida, Temsah, Megahed, just to name a few, are all made in the same factory.

Not to mention Egyptian hoses... majority are made by the same factory, just slightly different to the customer's specifications. This is why just about every vendor has their "own" hose.

I could go on... I think you get my point. :)

/endrant

I don't think Tokel is an actual manufacturer of nargiles...however they have a shop and have a brand name they have others make for them to sell in there shop.

Why does it matter? Who really cares? To me, brand names don't matter, but the name is merely an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish goods. I don't care if Tokel makes them or just slaps their name on the pipes. It's a matter of reference when telling folks what is good and what is shit. For example, when people ask where to find a good Turkish hookah, you tell them Elmas, no? It doesn't matter if Elmas actually makes the pipes themselves or not (which we know that they do in this case). My point is, Elmas has become an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish brass. Now that I have purchased this Tokel and held it in my own hands, smoked from it, etc.... I feel it's safe to recommend them to people as well. Again, I don't care who makes the damn thing.

Same goes for Egyptians. We know that several (and probably way more) brands of Egyptian pipes are made in the same factory. Farida, Temsah, Megahed, just to name a few, are all made in the same factory.

Not to mention Egyptian hoses... majority are made by the same factory, just slightly different to the customer's specifications. This is why just about every vendor has their "own" hose.

I could go on... I think you get my point.

/endrant

Ohh I agree with you 100%....Brand names don't mean squat...I just wanted to point out that I don't think they actually make the pipes them selfs unlike elmas..

but how much is the price differance really? to me they seem on par with elmas for the most part compared to nargilestore

but how much is the price differance really? to me they seem on par with elmas for the most part compared to nargilestore

See my response above:

"I haven't smoked one or seen one in person, but these look like quality pipes that will smoke just as well as an Elmas - from this eBay guy they're ROUGHLY on par with Nargilestore pricing - Nargilestore is slightly cheaper, ships a bit faster, and the Elmas trays, tongs, hoses and windcovers are nicer...I think it's just a matter of personal preference - I'd definitely take the Tokel Tuğralı over the Elmas, but the Elmas İslemeli (628) over the Tokel. I'm sure both are of comparable quality."

Why does it matter? Who really cares? To me, brand names don't matter, but the name is merely an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish goods. I don't care if Tokel makes them or just slaps their name on the pipes. It's a matter of reference when telling folks what is good and what is shit. For example, when people ask where to find a good Turkish hookah, you tell them Elmas, no? It doesn't matter if Elmas actually makes the pipes themselves or not (which we know that they do in this case). My point is, Elmas has become an identifying factor when trying to find quality Turkish brass. Now that I have purchased this Tokel and held it in my own hands, smoked from it, etc.... I feel it's safe to recommend them to people as well. Again, I don't care who makes the damn thing.

>/endrant

Ohh I agree with you 100%....Brand names don't mean squat...I just wanted to point out that I don't think they actually make the pipes them selfs unlike elmas..

What makes you think they don't make the pipes, just out of curiosity? I can't find any evidence or leads to suggest they do not. Again, I don't care if they make them or not, just wondering what makes you think this.

Last I checked, to get an Elmas Canary (full setup, since they won't sell the shank alone) shipped to me would have been around $300. The full setup from Tokel is much less (check the eBay store for turkeysonline). I got just the shank, tray, and windcover which made it even less for me, since I knew I was going to pair it with my trumpet vase.

So yes, tell me again how they are on par price wise.

>>/e

ndrantlockquote>

but how much is the price differance really? to me they seem on par with elmas for the most part compared to nargil

estore

What makes you think they don't make the pipes, just out of curiosity? I can't find any evidence or leads to suggest they do not. Again, I don't care if they make them or not, just wondering what makes you think this.

Last I checked, to get an Elmas Canary (full setup, since they won't sell the shank alone) shipped to me would have been around $300. The full setup from Tokel is much less (check the eBay store for turkeysonline). I got just the shank, tray, and windcover which made it even less for me, since I knew I was going to pair it with my trumpet vase.

So yes, tell me again how they are on par price wise.

Totally agree that without any evidence we can't say one way or the other. 

But Chris, bear in mind that they're two entirely different pipes - the Elmas one is substantially larger and also comes with nicer components (cut crystal vase, premium hose, deluxe very thick tray and windcover, etc) - so it's not really fair to compare pricewise on those two.  İşlemeli, Dünyalı, Tuğralı, etc models are a better comparison point

Edited to add that the basic Tuğralı Elmas from NS is $130 shipped to the US, the same as that Tokel from eBay. The Tokel is a nicer pipe with nicer glass, but the Elmas hose, windcover, and tray are nicer.  So I'd say they're about even.

By the way, a look at Mattarios's pic will show the difference between the 639 style that Tokel sells with canaries, and the Elmas canary model, just for reference:

IMG_0649_zpse7c8ec73.jpg​

Totally agree that without any evidence we can't say one way or the other. 

But Chris, bear in mind that they're two entirely different pipes - the Elmas one is substantially larger and also comes with nicer components (cut crystal vase, premium hose, deluxe very thick tray and windcover, etc) - so it's not really fair to compare pricewise on those two.  İşlemeli, Dünyalı, Tuğralı, etc models are a better comparison point

Edited to add that the basic Tuğralı Elmas from NS is $130 shipped to the US, the same as that Tokel from eBay. The Tokel is a nicer pipe with nicer glass, but the Elmas hose, windcover, and tray are nicer.  So I'd say they're about even.

I understand they're two totally different pipes. But for people in a money crunch, like I was when I purchased the Tokel Canary, the Tokel version is a much better deal than the Elmas Canary. Especially if you don't want or need the extras such as vase, hose, etc. Elmas does not even give you the option- instead they force you to buy the entire setup for ~$300. This is why I'm comparing the prices of the two, despite them being entirely different models while both having the birds.

Not to mention I actually prefer the Tokel version of the Canary over the Elmas version. It's a bit shorter, and I like the 639 shank style they use over the Elmas one.

I totally agree with you about the Tuğralı, though. They're even, more or less. I guess I'm comparing the animal figure hookahs from Tokel versus Elmas, not so much the basic standard models.

well for one the tokel canary does not come with a crystal vase and the elmas canary is a much larger stem....price check your tokel against a elmas 639 standard maybe a few extra bucks cause they glued some birds on it...

LOL! If you think that screwed and welded on means glued, then sure.

Again, if you read above, I mention that Elmas forces you to buy the entire setup. I know the Tokel Canary does not come with crystal vase and I also know that the Elmas Canary is a larger hookah.

Fact is the Tokel Canary is cheaper if you're looking for a Turk with Canaries on it. Price was an important factor for me when making this purchase, and it just so turns out I actually prefer this Tokel version over Elmas'.

I think what you paid for and recived is tottaly on par with a elmas 639 bare bones stem and brass set...thats my point...not comparable to the elmas canary pipe...even look at how much thicker the heart of the stem is on the elmas canary compared to the 639 a few hookahs over in matterios's pic...

Just I don't see these as a cheaper less exspensive pipe then elmas, you get what you pay for.....If you want a 639 like pipe with canary's on it then yes, but you can not compare that to the $300 price tag of the elmas canary pipe...

I am not knocking tokel pipes..But compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Ohh and no hookah has welds, thats called soldering just fyi......and by glued on I did mean soldered.

I think what you paid for and recived is tottaly on par with a elmas 639 bare bones stem and brass set...thats my point...not comparable to the elmas canary pipe...even look at how much thicker the heart of the stem is on the elmas canary compared to the 639 a few hookahs over in matterios's pic...

Just I don't see these as a cheaper less exspensive pipe then elmas, you get what you pay for.....If you want a 639 like pipe with canary's on it then yes, but you can not compare that to the $300 price tag of the elmas canary pipe...

I am not knocking tokel pipes..But compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Ohh and no hookah has welds, thats called soldering just fyi......and by glued on I did mean soldered.

Sorry, I should have said soldered, not welded. I knew that. :facepalm:

Did you not see that the title of this thread says "ALTERNATIVE" to Elmas? That means if someone wants a nice Turkish hookah, not necessarily the SAME EXACT model, they can consider purchasing a Tokel instead. Especially if money is of concern, as was in my case. I don't think you're getting the point I'm trying to make, Justin. I totally understand Elmas' Canary model is totally different than Tokel's. I've never disputed that fact. The point I have tried to make is this:

Elmas animal figure hookah, complete setup, from NargileStore.com: ~$300.

Tokel animal figure hookah, complete setup, from turkeysonline's eBay store: $158.

That's half the price, man. If someone who is a poor bastard like me and wants a Turkish animal figure hookah, which one looks like the better deal? There will be those who will want to spend twice as much and go for the Elmas one, and there will be those who will want to purchase the (yes, DIFFERENT) Tokel version. So from now on when folks ask "Which hookah should I purchase?" they can be offered more options, not just the one simple answer we've been giving for forever now- "Elmas." I don't know about you, but I like having different options and choices, instead of being limited to one thing.

• Upvote 1

I love the tokel option, but the thing is you do get the $158 version of a $300 pipe if you know what I'm saying...you do not get a $300 pipe for $158

No, I do not get what you are saying. They're different pipes, remember? And never was it implied that you got a $300 pipe for $158. :)

I love the tokel option, but the thing is you do get the $158 version of a $300 pipe if you know what I'm saying...you do not get a $300 pipe for $158

No, I do not get what you are saying. They're different pipes, remember? And never was it implied that you got a $300 pipe for $158. :)

well you keep comparing it to the $300 elmas canary over and over....I just wanted to emphisize that the tokel animal pipes are not on the same level as the elmas animal pipes..when you get down to the extras and the shear amount of brass

But the standard tokels basically look the same quality and build as the elmas counterparts and I'm sure they smoke the same as well..however the trays and windcovers don't look as good IMO....but they are priced basically the same as well when compared to nargilestore....the slight variations might push one to go one way or the other...