Youtube Videos On Tinychat

Chreees

Are The YouTube Videos Annoying Enough?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are The YouTube Videos Annoying Enough?

• Yes, take away everyone's star to prevent YouTube videos from being played.
    • Nah, it ain't that big of a deal.

Okay, so it has been brought to my attention that many of you are upset about other members playing YouTube videos within the Tinychat room. This is possible for those who have asked to be given a mod star. I have posted a poll for you guys to vote if it is annoying enough that we should take it away (everyone would lose their star and no new stars would be issued). Final decision will be made by the mods/admin.

I personally do not see the YouTube videos to be a big deal. If you don't like them, you can always hover over the video and click mute or hide it altogether. But I felt this poll thread should be posted out of fairness to try and make majority of the forum members happy (can't make everyone happy).

Everyone, please post your thoughts in addition to your vote.

Thanks,
Chris

I find it annoying only because (as you all TC regulars know) my interwebz sucks beyond any measure and when someone plays a 5 minute video, it goes on for like half an hour on my screen, and takes up all the bandwidth (yes it's that bad. :(), haha, but I still don't find it that big of a deal. The few nights that my internet has been somewhat okay, I have enjoyed many a great videos in there. :)

It's almost like when you have people over to smoke and you just turn on the television and watch stuff while smoking.

I can see how it can be annoying. I get annoyed by it at times, but I don't think it should be taken away unless we have proof that someone is abusing it. If we find someone who is abusing it then take their privilege away.

I'm not on TC much, but I vote keep them. If someone requests a video be closed, the mod should close it.

If a majority of people in TC wanted to watch the video, then they can make the other person feel bad about asking to close the video. :P Kinda like governing by the mob. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='dizzbizz' timestamp='1342049153' post='551458']
I can see how it can be annoying. I get annoyed by it at times, but I don't think it should be taken away unless we have proof that someone is abusing it. [b]If we find someone who is abusing it then take their privilege away.[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah, that is already stated on the TinyChat thread in the Members Only section. If you guys ever witness someone abusing the YouTube player or banning others unnecessarily, PLEASE report it to the mods so we can take care of it (I can already tell you that anyone who does abuse their star will immediately get it taken away and won't get it back). We want this place as enjoyable as it can be (hence this thread). The forum and TC can be a lot of fun. Personally, I know YouTube has definitely enriched my good times with my friends on TC, whether it's watching funny walkthroughs with Jay (man that was fun), watching fail compilations and laughing our asses off, or pumping fists to music videos while smoking. :)

I believe that leaving things as is and telling people they can always hide/mute them will ultimately be the appropriate course of action, but it is premature to say that for sure. I'm waiting for Tony to chime in, as he has stated many times he does not like it, and I'd like to hear his reasons. He is a big TCer, so his opinion matters.

I say take it down just because I find it annoying but I also can just close/mute them. But it also kind of ruins the conversation when that happens which is why I don't really go to TC anymore

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1342046323' post='551449']
I really enjoy the random nights when everyone on is in a music mood and we just share music videos with each other.

I vote to keep the stars. as you stated, the videos can be hidden and muted.
[/quote]

1000% agree and if u dont like the video just close the video

Well, in regards to the Walking Dead videos...I think that maybe we were in the wrong, Chris. Granted, people still could join in and close the video but, now that I think about it....we kinda used HF's TC as our own little movie theatre.

I think we could've gone about it better...like creating a private room or something next time we watch another walkthrough.

So yeah, I see where Allstar is coming from...but, I don't think it's a big deal either.

1. Mute
2. Hide
3. ????
4. Profit!

I left soon after you started that walking dead marathon (from what I hear) and I personally wouldnt have a problem with it cos I tend to have music or something on when im on tc but when tony and people like him that like to voice tc come on I turn my stuff down and chat, the thing is if youre playing youtube vids when people are on voice youre either gonna mute it and chat (with that you disturb the person looking at the youtube vids) or youre gonna watch it (being disturbed by the people speaking as youre watching the vid), this means that someone is always in the wrong in this regard, you cant make everyone happy. However, mostly we tend to keep tc along the lines that keeps most people happy, and I dont wanna lose my goddamned star! So, Im not voting on this one at all, but I guess in the long run its all about expressing your opinion, if youre really unhappy about the stuff being played on tc youtubes just let someone know and Im sure its gonna be taken care of (by one of the tc mods or by a HF mod if the people in the tc dont do it straight away).

Keep in mind you two that the walk throughs made me get the game and all that, but I see how its pretty much antisocial and even if you mute it, if 2 people are just kinda in there not giving a fuck about whats going on in tc its pointless to go in right?

Anyways, think before you youtube vids in tc and dont take mah star away <3

A couple of points...

Why don't you just mute the individual windows? I normally mute TC entirely, but there's a few people I'll keep un-muted and just mute everyone else. It's not an all or nothing thing, last I remember. TC may have removed that option though. I can test it out when I get home.

And I don't think there's a "proper" way to use tc in regards to interaction. There have been plenty of people that have been doing "other stuff" while on TC. Should everyone leave the room if they can't devote their full attention to the chat room? I don't think so.

I still think the protocol in tc will sort itself out on its own.

I agree, Jay. Sometimes I talk on cam if others are, but sometimes I don't when we are watching YouTube videos. It's kinda just whatever is going on. It's never like, "Okay, we're all gonna talk, so no one play any vids." Or vice versa. It just kinda happens naturally, probably depending on who's on and how many people. Like when Mush comes in, he always talks on cam, so I make sure not to play anything while he's in there, cause I want to hear what he has to say and talk/type back to him. One thing is for sure- YouTube videos never kill the chatting in the the way of typing. We still type to one another while the videos are going. It's not like when a video is playing, everyone better stfu. Either way, YouTube videos aren't even played two or three-fourths of the time, whenever I'm on anyway.

I am still waiting for Tony to chime in. From what I've seen, every time he has come in and a video is playing, he types indicating the video upsets him and leaves right away. He never stays. So this leads me to believe that he either doesn't know or understand the dynamics of how it is most of the time on TC since we've had the feature, or hasn't stuck around long enough to try the mute/hide method. Whenever I find something or someone annoying on TC, I just mute it... like Hassouni's music sometimes. :P

And yes, as you mentioned Jay, TC can be muted altogether if you wish (speaker button located below the "enter text" box).

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1342045979' post='551448']
Okay, so it has been brought to my attention that [size=5][b]many [/b][/size]of you are upset about other members playing YouTube videos within the Tinychat room. [/quote]

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1342228131' post='551718']
From what I've seen, every time he has come in and a video is playing, [b]he types indicating the video upsets him and leaves right away[/b]. He never stays.[/quote]

So, this leads me to another question....

Aside from the Walking Dead marathon, are "many" people complaining....or just one? Edited by Arcane

Tony is the one who told me many people were complaining about it, if that answers your question... I have yet to see those many people chime in here.

He also told me on the shoutbox that someone told him we watched the Walking Dead walkthrough for [i]hours[/i] after he left TC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we didn't watch it for [i]hours[/i].

Perhaps this isn't as big of an issue as I was led to believe.