Scared

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1340195731' post='549638']
at 18 you can point and aim a damn shotgun as well as anyone. Excuses are fine, but make sure you understand they are just that, excuses.
[/quote]
This was my thought. At 18 you can own a shotgun that hold 5 shells.even with bird shot at 15-20 feet you will not miss.
An armed society is a polite society.
Ray
  • Upvote 1

There is no doubt a firearm can be both the best equalizer, and the single best asset to surviving an encounter with one of the pieces of trash walking the streets these days. Just ask this kid....
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/14-year-old-shoots-armed-intruder-while-babysitting-his-younger-siblings-in-phoenix/

Guess that guy discovered he needs a new career choice, he obviously sucks at home invasions.
  • Upvote 1

I am pretty much in the same boat. My neighborhood is very nice and friendly neighborhood, but recently there have been a considerable amount of break-ins and even a pretty nasty home invasion. Situational awareness is very important for times like these. I'm generally a tad paranoid, but I feel it helps me to be more aware of my surroundings. One thing you can do is keep an eye on your front/side/backyard depending on what you have, and check things like seeing if there are footprints that aren't yours, or weeds/small plants that have been trampled, and stuff like that. Small signs that someone might be scoping the place out. Burglars tend to not be as careful as they should so they tend to leave small traces they think no one will look for. Of course keep a look out for people sitting in cars on your street. I refuse to leave my house if I don't have to when there's someone parked on my street. If I do leave, I do a loop around the block to make sure no one rushes in after they watch me leave.

Another thing, don't quote me on this, but I think you can buy alarm company signs just by themselves. Put one of those bad boys in the front yard. It might deter burglars from considering your place as a target. Just make sure you don't have people watching you put it in. That could just be me being paranoid. :)

Always keep your doors/windows locked, don't answer the door for people you don't know, blah blah blah. Simple things like that can save your life.

Also, booby traps. Stuff that makes loud noises. I haven't set any up but probably would if I lived by myself. Especially if I were a female.

That's pretty much all I can think of.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1340112780' post='549568']
Call the police, and they will tell you that no patrols are in the area and it will take an hour for anyone to show up.

Call them 5 minutes later, and tell them to not send any patrols, because you shot the burglars dead. Patrols will show up in 5 minutes. :D
[/quote]

People have done stuff like that and found themselves with charges of calling in a false report.

[quote name='Ed Molt' timestamp='1340211660' post='549661']
Another thing is one of the scariest sound an intruder can hear is theracking of a pump shotgun. They make beanbag rounds and rubber buckshot rounds, but that may just piss them off if they strung out on something. I would rather just make sure they stay down by udeing regular buckshot.
edm
[/quote]

Buckshot might not be a good choice for overpenetration concerns. #5 birdshot would be just as effective and tend not to go through walls.

Some other thoughts: Acquire some poop from a big dog or improvise. Get a dog toy of the sort that a big dog would like. Chain it to the back of your car and drag it around for a while to make it look used. Get a big dog water dish. Put these around your house outside to make it look like a big dog lives there.

Because you're under 21, you cannot legally get a handgun. Because you're 18, you can get a long gun. Rifles are not terribly good choices for home defense because of overpenetration concerns. This leaves you with shotguns. Models like the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the most common models for home defense and are relatively cheap. Also ask the gun shop about training and get some. Everyone should know how to use firearms in an emergency.

Well I would highly recommend getting a shotgun. I have talked with several cops over the years.. and statistically someone hears a shotgun they aren't sticking around.

Forget Beware of Dog Signs... this one is on my property.

[img]http://www.readytodefend.com/images/STS-2S_90.jpg[/img]

http://www.readytodefend.com

Some of the most basic things you can do immediately, is be sure you have locks on your doors and gates. This would also include you making sure your windows are also secure. If you can, get a small home security system for your home.

I forget what show it was, but it was a guy that used to be a cat burglar of sorts, and would break into peoples homes...you wouldn't believe how many times he just walked straight into the front door. They would film the whole thing, and show the owner and fix up their home to be more secure. If they can't get in easily, they might be deterred right off the bat.

Make sure you have a phone in reach in several rooms, try to keep your cell phone on your person, and try to think of places you can go within your dwelling that would be safe for you in case anything did happen. For me, this is my bathroom or one of my closets.

Then the suggestions about mace or a gun should be taken into consideration.

[quote name='Kathrynx' timestamp='1340644799' post='549993']
Some of the most basic things you can do immediately, is be sure you have locks on your doors and gates. This would also include you making sure your windows are also secure. If you can, get a small home security system for your home.

I forget what show it was, but it was a guy that used to be a cat burglar of sorts, and would break into peoples homes...you wouldn't believe how many times he just walked straight into the front door. They would film the whole thing, and show the owner and fix up their home to be more secure. If they can't get in easily, they might be deterred right off the bat.

Make sure you have a phone in reach in several rooms, try to keep your cell phone on your person, and try to think of places you can go within your dwelling that would be safe for you in case anything did happen. For me, this is my bathroom or one of my closets.

Then the suggestions about mace or a gun should be taken into consideration.
[/quote]

To Catch a Thief on Discovery Channel. Man I miss that show.

It takes a thief... i knew it was thief something.

Wish I could find whole episodes some of the stuff they did was pretty neat.

I have a sign in front of my house that says I am poor and own 18 cats. So far its worked in preventing burglaries but not in keeping people from dropping off cats. You would think people would understand if you already have 18 you really do not need anymore.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1340654593' post='550012']
I have a sign in front of my house that says I am poor and own 18 cats. So far its worked in preventing burglaries but not in keeping people from dropping off cats. You would think people would understand if you already have 18 you really do not need anymore.
[/quote]

Well that's less about security and more about long term survival. Good Try though.

[img]http://www.digitalflood.com/wp-content/gallery/graphic-art/cat_meat-lg.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1340659516' post='550017']
[/quote]

Well that's less about security and more about long term survival. Good Try though.

[img]http://www.digitalflood.com/wp-content/gallery/graphic-art/cat_meat-lg.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

The point is who is going to burglarize someone who owns 18 cats.

Around here the very best deterrent to burglary is flying a Rebel flag. Everybody knows that there's a 100% chance of the homeowner being armed. Sometimes they even have a massive weapons cache! Might not work up in Yankee land, though. :D

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1340663392' post='550025']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1340659516' post='550017']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The point is who is going to burglarize someone who owns 18 cats.
[/quote]Definitely not me. I'm allergic to cats. :)

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1340666455' post='550029']
Around here the very best deterrent to burglary is flying a Rebel flag. Everybody knows that there's a 100% chance of the homeowner being armed. Sometimes they even have a massive weapons cache! [u][b]Might not work up in Yankee land, though.[/b][/u] :D
[/quote]

Probably just attract unwanted attention!

idk if it was mentioned but a thing you could always do if its not already happening is you can call the cops to patrol you're area because of suspicious activities and they will just drive around your area as a pre caution, i have had to do it couple of times in our old area because my car was broken into and so was ericas multipule times. and others as well so i would just call local pd and told them we'd like nightly drive arounds and they dont mind because it actually gives them something to do, because 90% of the time they aren't doing shit.

Buy a used police car and park it in the driveway.

I bought my son one back when he started college.
It was a 1985 Crown Vic. Got lousy gas mileage, but it had heavy-duty everything and would haul ass.

• 2 weeks later...
Its gang initiation season in Baltimore. I think they are in phase one where they break into cars and stuff... soon the random acts of violence will start.

Also I read somewhere that the crime gets worse as the temperature goes up. I guess everyone gets all irritable in the heat.

I live in an ever-increasingly rough neighborhood. After the last dope-peddling jack-wagons moved from next door I decided to arm up.

As a self-confessed "gun-nut" who has shot everything from full-auto MP5's, AKs, M4's to .22 Marlin Rifles, I recommend a 12 gauge loaded with #1 Buckshot as the ultimate home defense gun. I have several shotguns, from the Russian Saiga-12 to Remington 870's to Mossberg 590's. I keep a loaded 870 next to the bed at night and I trust my family's life with it. I also have a tactical light mounted on the front so I can safely identify any targets and have the bonus effect of blinding the shit out of 'em if they are intruders. Look into that.

Also if you decide on a firearm, be sure to get adequate training and practice, practice, practice. This will build muscle memory, which will be crucial at the moment of truth when you're jacked up with adrenaline.

Ok, couple points. There is no law anywhere, in any state, that says you cannot own a shotgun for lawful use inside your own home. A Mossburg .410 can often be had for under $200. Winchester 12 and 20 gauge for just over $200.

No idea where you are in NJ, but "New Jersey Clay Shooting" google search turned up about 20 places you can go. Find a place, or an indoor range if you prefer, and ask about a general course in firearms use and safety. Many have them for next to free. Also, walk into a firearms dealer, and just ask questions. If they don't want to answer / don't seem to have time; don't let that off put you, just find a new store. There are good and bad dealers, just like in everything else. There's one store near me that I won't use, because they don't seem to have time to answer anything for me. I'll go out of my way to a different store, because that guy took 30 minutes answering one question for me, over the phone, about a gun he didn't even carry. He wasn't going to make a sale or anything, just wanted to take care of me. Now he gets 100% of my business.

For me; my best protection is a combination effort. I know / am friendly with my neighbors. Just a wave and a "how are you today" is likely enough. Cookies help too :) Secondly, a basic alarm with monitoring. It's like $40 a month, install was free, system was maybe $150, and only that much because we had a few extra things installed. Third, I have two dogs. Neither are real big, and in all honesty they'd both just as soon help you carry the TV out if they thought there might be a belly scratch in it for them. But no one knows that when they're on the other side of the door. Those three things will prevent most of the common thieves, and will help catch any remaining dumb enough to break in.

All that is moot though, if my family is home. Stuff I can replace, family I cannot. For when we're home, I have a shotgun ready and waiting.

TL;DR: No reason you can't arm yourself. Just please do like bigpatvoodoodad says: practice practice practice.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1340666455' post='550029']
Around here the very best deterrent to burglary is flying a Rebel flag. Everybody knows that there's a 100% chance of the homeowner being armed. Sometimes they even have a massive weapons cache! Might not work up in Yankee land, though. :D
[/quote]

This is actually counter-productive where I am. They'll break in BECAUSE they know you have weapons, and those are easy to sell. :/

Sorry for the late response..

In all honesty I'd prefer to not have a gun lol. Call me silly, or whatever. I've never touched one in my life and I'm scared to death of them. Especially after the horrible massacre in CO. I know thats pretty rare something like that happens, but still. I'll be staying away from any firearms lol.

I guess I forgot to post when it happened. My mom is an avid gardener, stays outside doing it from the morning til it gets dark. She has tupperwares filled with soil on the side of the house, along with other gardening tools and such in front of a door we never use that leads to the kitchen. The other day she went to go grab something and noticed one of the tupperware things was pushed up against the door, and had muddy shoe prints all over it. It was also crushed, pretty much looked like someone was standing on it looking into the window on the door. Theres a motion light right next to the door that (obviously) goes on whenever someone walks by it. That was also broken, someone smashed the glass around it and unscrewed the lightbulb.

As if I wasn't scared enough, this was enough for me lol. We called the police and they came and looked in it and wrote up a report and left. Haven't seen any drive by since <_<

I do keep a hunting knife next to my bed, but guns are just out of the question. Especially now because I can barely use the right side of my body. Its just me and my mom that live together and I certainly can't see her shooting a gun either; she screamed like she was getting mugged when she got her nose pierced lol.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate the help :wub: