The Goza unfan club

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1329360972' post='539165']
So first off, I'd like to point out that I'm leaving it out of the Panda club thread, out of respect to Floataround. I realize it may come off snobby and biased, but this is just my honest perspective as someone of Arab descent, who's smoked all over the Middle East. I mean no offense by it, and I just thought it should go in a separate thread from the one created for those who enjoy the product. Regardless, many of you know how I feel, but I thought I'd clarify and elucidate my feelings:
[/quote]

Thank you so much for that and the respect, it is greatly appreciated :) :)

And I started typing this as Chreees did his, but I completely agree :)

And I hope with all due respect back that you do not mind me asking some things because I feel it is relevant to one of the points, how you feel about the aspect of passing the goza around? I understand where you are coming from, but when the holding and passing really occurs is when I am with a group of people, typically closer, and we dont have any distraction. Its pretty much a given when I have someone or a group of people over for a movie, or to hang out, or whatever, that I hookah is getting set up and used.

But when its a smaller close group of people and all that's going on is verbal discussion, I enjoy the interaction of passing it around, to me it sort of adds to the sociability. And sometimes its easier for space reasons when I hose does not reach. Then I will use the stand more for if it needs to be sat down for some reason, and for storage purposes. It is not commonly used while in its stand, unless I am using it as a travel pipe because it is pretty convenient. Is that something that is looked down on still and the solution is just get more hookahs going (most here know I have a few)?

Im lost, what is a goza.....

Ive just seen pictures of hookahs with bamboo and a base. Not sure what they claim to do though?

[quote name='grock' timestamp='1329364830' post='539188']
Im lost, what is a goza.....

Ive just seen pictures of hookahs with bamboo and a base. [b]Not sure what they claim to do though?[/b]
[/quote]

Extra portability (although you have to have a stand if you want to sit it down) and bigger buzz. I think that's it, maybe something else...

EDIT: This is a Goza (typically seen with a piece of bamboo as a hose):

[img]http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/akshady/The%20Egyptian/09092008074.jpg[/img]

Also, where I found this picture, the guy had this to say about it:

[quote]Goza - or Arabic for Walnut - is the Egyptian version of hobo hookah.

Usually Goza is made using any large glass jar (you name it, empty jar of jam, coffee ...etc.), the jar cover is punctured with two holes, one for the "hose" and one for the bowl.

The hose is usually not a hose, instead it is a hollow bamboo cane. Sometimes the jar is any bottle, and most likely - for reasons beyond my understanding - it doesn't have a flat bottom and it needs to be held all through the session.

The product on The Hookah Company, or even the KM Goza (picture below) I took pictures of when I first visited the KM store in September, are both far from traditional, and IMHO are both not practical at all, due to being very small, have to be held during smoking, and it is very hard to determine the correct right water level.

Goza has been associated with the working class using it for NHT in Egypt and holds a very high stigma and hence I would never ever buy one here.

My advice, don't buy it. Save your money!
[/quote]

Seemed relevant...

My thoughts on this are..

My cousin spent 2 years over in Israel and he said that smoking hookah over there was a social occasion. You smoked while drinking tea, coffee, and that sort of thing. When it pulls away from being social, to smoking from an addiction or just for the "buzz" it's not smoking hookah anymore, it's smoking for the "coolness, and addiction" factor of it. If you do that, more power to you, but don't hold everyone else that does smoke for the social aspect of hookah to the standards of the buzz aspect which you can get from a cigarette, or even some weed. I just don't think hookah should be going in the route of addiction or the coolness factor as that's not where it came from.

Now I haven't smoked in the middle east, I don't know the entire cultural aspect of smoking, but what I do know, is that sense I stutter, and I've tried all kinds of medication hearing aids and all of that.. Hookah is the ONLY thing that calms me down enough to talk more like a normal person. For me it's a relaxation type of thing and I love smoking it with other people. I do believe that if it ever became an addiction, I would quit seeing as I've been addicted to sleeping pills and that sucked trying to weign off of them.

Long story short. Don't hold the standard of Goza's or panda or what ever in the tits it is, to the standard of others who smoke it for relaxing, and social occasions.

btw... I love all of you... hella hippy status.

Steve, related to what you're talking about... I always smoke by myself in person, almost always. Very rarely do I smoke with others. But, when I'm smoking by myself in my apartment, I'm really not, because I'm ALWAYS on TC when I smoke. TC is what brings in the social aspect of hookah for me. Without being able to smoke on TC, I doubt I'd smoke as much, if at all. I dunno, I might instead read a book or play PS3 while smoking, but TC, smoking with the friends I've made here, is part of what makes it enjoyable for me.

I dunno, just wanted to say that I guess... And that I love you, Steve. :P

Also, another thought I just had- If the Goza is the beggar's pipe in Egypt, then why does it cost so much here? :lol:

yeah man.. there will be times that I wont smoke with people in person. But for the small amount of time that I've been here I've made some cool friends, and I love teasin yall, and it makes smoking that much more fun.

and.... Chris you bring butterflies to my stomach.... buuuttt.. that could just be poop.

I mean I do occasionally smoke alone and not on TC, just when watching a movie or something, but that's when I wanna really chill the fuck out and not worry about holding a pipe!
  • Upvote 1

Thats funny. Today I stuck my Goza in the dirt because I working outside and sitting on the ground.

I usually smoke alone... I stick it in an empty yogurt cup. Sometimes I stick a Fancy Hose in the port. It works. Today when I was doing housework I could just carry it around from room to room easily. I listen to music so I can just set it down and dance with my eyes closed without worrying about tripping over the hose.

When I'm with people its easy to pass around because they are no hoses. I was at a meetup in NYC and we had about 4 Gozas going. Just passing them around. No tangles. and then we could pass it to the people behind us and trade gozas with them.

I'm addicted to nicotine, no doubt. I'd rather smoke hookah tobacco rather than a cig any day. I have cigs... I smoke them usually for certain spiritual ceremonies I do. Tobacco has been used as part of rituals and ceremonies for a long time. No doubt though I have used cigs just to get a nicotine fix but eh... not so much anymore. ok sometimes i do...........

I wouldn't say that I smoke my Goza for the buzz. I like everything else about it. I would still love my lil walnut without the increase buzz. The buzz is nice but sometimes its too much and I have to go lay down. I don't know how it works but I get a bigger buzz on the Goza. Maybe because the vapor has less time to cool down? Maybe because the short distance between the bowl and the mouth allows less time for the active particles to solidify and get stuck in the stem/water/bamboo path? Maybe because the bamboo gives a wide open draw and it goes straight to the dome? Maybe its MAGIC??!?! I don't know.

As for Gozas traditionally being use by the lowest class citizens on earth: I'm ok with that. Honestly I'm sitting infront of my computer right now. I look up and a see my office board that I got from the trash at my work building with over-due bills stuck to it. I look down and I see my worn out coyote poncho with coal burns on it and my 4 year old uggs with a hole in the toe. I'm looking right and seeing the dish that I ate a can a split pea soup from with a wooden spoon for dinner (bc tonight I splurged at ate dinner). I look left and I see a window with no curtains because I don't have curtains and a house plant that I revived from the trash of my building. I look infront of me and I see a pack of American Spirit cigs that I have had for about a month (hey they are lights at least), some rocks that my friends gave me as gifts, and some I found on the ground (rose quartz). Today I woke up at 7am and I drove my rare mk3 VW that needs a new transmission [and a vr6 turbo conversion], I got covered in dirt working the land in hopes that it will produce enough food for all the people in my house so that we can afford to eat dinner every night of the week, then I worked 3 out of 5/6 of my jobs and am wrapping my day up at 1am. Tomorrow I have to work at least 2-3 of my jobs. My point is that I am not currently in the upperclass. Its ok if I'm caught looking inglorious and low class smoking a Goza because I am inglorious and low-class. Either way, everynight in my prayers I thank God for giving me a roof over my head, a bed, and friends and family enough to provide some of the luxurious of comfort that make life so sweet (Like Laos food and bubble tea!).

So yeah, my lil walnut is an awesome pipe that is perfect for me in every way.

I feel all warm and fuzzy now... except for the draft coming through my window and flying through the coal burn hole on my poncho.

I enjoy my Panda lifestyle.

Oh and today I smelled my bamboo and it didn't smell like much even though I've smoked a bunch of different flavors. Maybe the bamboo doesn't ghost as much as I orginally anticipated. Plus everyone who has bamboo in their yard wants someone to cut it down... so you get free bamboo hoses for life! Winning!!!!
  • Upvote 1

serious props for the VW mk3.

Especially so if you are serious about a turbo conversion on a VR6.... drool

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1329321974' post='539082']
[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1329321259' post='539077']
Can I ask a question?

I understand the gooza thing, but Where did the Panda thing come from?
[/quote]

Just because of the bamboo haha. Someone started it, and we just ran with it. :D
[/quote]
I'm glad I finally read this thread....I was confused about the panda thing too...

Now, I can go back to ignoring both sides of the debate. Thanks for asking the question, Stuie!
  • Upvote 1

I liked my goza. We used to sit around outside and pass it around. Didn't have to worry about carrying a glass base out with us to get broken. We could sit in a line along a wall (say the front of my shop) and just pass it down the line without worrying about tipping it over or will the hose reach. The bamboo was long enoung to set the bottom of the goza on the arm of a chair or on your leg and still some. No one said you have to hold it in the air the whole time. I eventually fitted a tray to mine to protect us from the falling ashes.

I'm not sure where the whole "it was used for drugs" issue came from. Remember, the hookah was NOT originally used for Tobacco nor is it still only used for that in places in the middle east. So "traditionally" those of us who solely use it for tobacco are not using it right. ;)

as for the whole controversy of using the word "buzz", dont be bleeding hypocrites. The "buzz" of a tobacco has long been an item of discussion. In reviews it's been used, its one of the major differences between washed and unwashed brands, its why many people smoke hookah, for the relaxing nicotine buzz (which i no longer feel if the bowl is smoking right). S it's ok to come on the forum and TC drunk off your asses on booze and whatever else but its not ok to talk about a hookah giving you a nicotine buzz? Please...... :rolleyes:

The holier than thou crap is really kinda laughable at this point. <_<

No one said we didn't want to talk about nicotine buzz, Mush. I think the issue is the claim that smoking from a Goza gives more of a buzz than say, a regular Khalil Mamoon setup. I know for me personally this is the major thing I don't understand about it. If you set a KM Trimetal on a Egyptian glass base with a normal KM hose next to a KM Goza (in its stand or holding it, lol) with a bamboo hose, and have the exact same bowl and exact same tobacco and exact same coals on each, what factor is making the Goza give you the bigger buzz? Can someone do this for us?

Additionally, I'm not the type of person who moves around a lot while smoking, so it not having a flat bottom doesn't appeal to me as well. I smoke when I'm in chill mode, not while I'm driving or doing household chores.

I'm extremely confused now... Did you merge some threads/posts or something? I thought Hassouni's thread was a good place to critique the Goza, while Floataround's thread was a good place for the "Pandas" to discuss why they like it...

Starting to sound like a broken record Chris. The only people going on about the buzz are the people upset by one person's personal observation that it gives them a bigger buzz. So you need to decide if all this fuss is worth disproving a [u]subjective[/u] comment made by a member.

OK, of the people who have "critiqued" the Goza, how many of you have EVER smoked from one?

It's like listening to a blind man argue with a sighted man about how nice a painting looks.

And yes, I turned the panda thread back into what it was intended for and i used the posts i took out of the panda thread to make the unfan club thread. Then I took the other thread and merged that one in too because they are all going round and round about the same subject and posts are being repeated.

I have not seen just one person say that, though. There are places other than HF where I've seen it said, and I'm just curious as to why. Regardless, I've seen two people say it here- Coyote and Floataround. Sorry if my inquiry makes me sound like a broken record, but there are others who are interested in knowing this as well, not just me. This is a hookah forum, so it only makes sense to discuss it. I don't wish to disprove anyone, but rather better understand it.

EDIT: Ahh, okay, I see now about the merged stuff, and that makes sense... I guess I saw it while you were still moving stuff around.