Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

QUOTE (momatik @ Oct 4 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Figured I'd post how I'm smoking it:

-2 Regular CH Coals on their sides (standing up right) in the middle of the phunnel bowl with a windcover.

If I lay one flat, and 1 upright, it seems to be too much heat. I may have underpacked it. Regardless, with this setup, it is smoking well.

Everything I've read about OG indicates that it takes so much less heat than other tobaccos. However, my experience seems to lead me to a different conclusion.

When I start a bowl of OG, I generally try my original technique of putting to CH's on opposing edges of my small phunnel. I let it sit for a while to heat up. For some reason, while this method seemed to work for me before, it no longer seems to get hot enough. So I throw on another coal and I start getting the smoke I expect.

That may seem like the end of the story but it's not. I notice my first session on a fresh OG bowl seems more harsh with less flavor than subsequent sessions. But I also notice if I let it sit for a while and come back, the shisha in the bowl is hard as a rock and smokes terribly. I don't have this problem with any other shisha.

This is frustrating to me because I can't seem to find a common problem. Some flavors smoke great straight out of the package. Some flavors smoke great after a few days of acclimation and then lose all flavor after that. Some flavors acclimate for weeks and never smell right. I try to treat them all the same.

I think I'm just about to give up on OG. After session after session of epic lucid smoke, I just don't see the point anymore in hasseling with OG.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I have never been able to get any Tangiers to Acclimate. (True/False)

True to an extent. Of the three flavors I have, only pear has been able to acclimate well.

2. I have tried different packing methods and none of them work. (T/F)

50/50 on the pear. Sometimes a method works, other times it doesn't.

3. Tangiers always smells burnt or like soy sauce. (T/F)

True on the green apple candy and blue gum ball that I have right now.

4. I have tried leaving Tangiers out for extended periods of time, to no avail, it doesn't change at all. It still smells off. (T/F)

True again on blue gum ball and green apple candy. I've left them both out for around 36 hours to no avail.

5. I have tried smoking it and it tastes bad. (T/F)

Definitely true on blue gum ball and green apple candy.
Edited by f22a4bandit

I was informed in the chat that it looked a little underpacked.

New ones:

[attachment=4254:IMAGE_064.jpg][attachment=4252:IMAGE_061.jpg]
[attachment=4253:IMAGE_063.jpg] Edited by momatik

To me it looks its overpacked in the second picture and in the first picture you had it right. You should palm it down pretty tight though. You dont want any fluids dripping out the side or down the funnel which is why you dont want to over pack. Underpacking is just as bad, but in the first picture it seemed like you had it right if not just add pinch more. Edited by newjacksm

I think flavor has to do with more acclimation, but thats me and I could be completly wrong. I have been getting a lot more flavor lately for what ever reason! I have been packing hell of a lot less then I use too as well. I pack about as much as you did in your first post with pictures. I use 2 CH Coals on the edges not in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...
I find letting it sit for a few hours with stirring it every once in a while then covering it right before I smoke it seems to help when it was really hot out but with winter coming on Calgary gets super dry so I'm curious if this will change acclimation. Should be interesting, its defiantly took a lot of trail and error but the last few bowls I've smoked have been amazing so either I got lucky with this OR all the research I've been doing has helped. Who knows.

Who has Trouble Getting Tangiers to Acclimate?

Answer the following questions for yourself, at home:

1. I have never been able to get any Tangiers to Acclimate. (True/False) True
2. I have tried different packing methods and none of them work. (T/F) True
3. Tangiers always smells burnt or like soy sauce. (T/F) True
4. I have tried leaving Tangiers out for extended periods of time, to no avail, it doesn't change at all. It still smells off. (T/F) True
5. I have tried smoking it and it tastes bad. (T/F) True

i used about 3 or 4 250grams of tangiers trying to get it right but it never worked out for me. i thought i was going to give up on it, but i need to try again. i just dont want to waste my money again.

i had different acclimating attempts. once was laying everything out on aluminum foil, once was in a very large tupperware container so that all the shisha was spread out, the other 2 times in my regular tupperware that i keep my shisha in. mixed every few hrs, no matter how long i left it out i never got it to smoke right, and id attempt to just smoke it anyways and it would be harsh with no taste (good clouds though) i got rid of the harshness from learning how to pack it (and heat management) but never got good flavour or smell. once was left out for about 12-14hrs straight, then stored and acclimated again...another time i just left it out to acclimate for a few days still nothing. after a while i just gave up. i even forgot i had some in a container after a month, whipped it out let it sit and stir for a while...had no flavour in the smoke. i always acclimated in the same spot because that is where i generally smoke, in my room.

i might be willing to try tangiers one more time...any advice? Edited by wesclrg

Different packing methods, different levels of heat..

Try just SLAMMING with your palm a scoop (from the bottom for the juice post-stirred up) into the phunnel. Clear out the center, and foil it up while its still slightly above the rim.

Its a more extreme method, one which I don't use anymore (I pack it down with a fork to slightly below rim ala the "proper" method), but that was the first time I got OG to work, which helped me progress my method inch by inch.

As soon as you GET that one great bowl which smokes for HOURS...its freakin amazin

QUOTE (redjako @ Oct 21 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Different packing methods, different levels of heat..

Try just SLAMMING with your palm a scoop (from the bottom for the juice post-stirred up) into the phunnel. Clear out the center, and foil it up while its still slightly above the rim.

Its a more extreme method, one which I don't use anymore (I pack it down with a fork to slightly below rim ala the "proper" method), but that was the first time I got OG to work, which helped me progress my method inch by inch.

As soon as you GET that one great bowl which smokes for HOURS...its freakin amazin

i have tried different packing methods and using the palm check to see if its over or underpacked. used 2 nats, 3 nats, 2 nats split in halves, etc...im not having a problem with the smoke or harshness everything is fine but the flavour so it must be from acclimation.

• 2 weeks later...
well i used to not get any smell for the most part from tang.

then i did the 4/20 and now i get great smelling tobacco, so i would say yes, it works ... but i still can't get any flavor from it when i smoke it.

So i am not sure what to think.

I am waiting for dead winter to smoke and see if that helps, if it does i will assume acclimation is the issue, if not i will examine other things.

QUOTE (momatik @ Nov 4 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bump.

So what's the word?

Does the 4/20 system work full proof?

It hasn't been fool proof for me, but it might be helping. I've had one good smoke and one tolerable smoke so far since I received the samples using that method. The rest of my attempts have resulted in a lot of throat irritation and choking. I need to get a hold of a camera so I can take some pictures of the bowls I am packing.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Nov 9 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it helped some people at least.

Let us know when you get the pictures, Ralleac.

Will do. I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow with a couple flavors so they have enough time to sit sealed.

I havent been able to smoke for a month because I have been really sick with a chest cold.

Same here, sort of. A couple days after I had a good smoke with passion fruit I caught a cold, so I was out for a couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
i recently received 3 packs of 250 tangiers from hookah john, green apple candy, sour, and melon blend. i have gotten green apple candy and sour to acclimate (i think, im not sure what sour is supposed to smell like) but the melon blend is being difficult. it has been sitting out in my room for 72 hours and it still smells like burning tobacco. this is the first time i have had a big problem with acclimation in terms of smell, there have been flavors that i cant get to smoke well with good flavor tho.