Tangiers, What Makes It So Good

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i ordered tangiers peach iced tea a few months ago and let it acclimate for 24 hours using the tin foil method. i did exactly as the picture/video tutorials on this site told me to, both in regard to the acclimation and packing process.

it smelled decently enough, but when i attempted to smoke it i got an odd combination: thin and harsh smoke. no flavor whatsoever either. i tried during a variety of sessions using one coal, two coals, three coals... none of them worked. it was a disappointment and a waste of $12 and a bunch of my time

that being said, i recently purchased lucid kashmir cherry and it's great! i really don't care that much about the buzz anyways, i'm mainly about taste and clouds, so the lucid line seems ideal for me. i'm going to order orange soda, horchata, and cactus fruit next time. it smokes great in my phunnel... i usually only have to use one 33mm golden coal to get it going. sometimes i need two to get it going, but i usually toss the second coal off after a few minutes because the tobacco burns so nicely. it burns so easily, is not harsh until its complete end, and lasts so long... very nice.

just curious -- for people that have tried the same flavor in both the regular and lucid line, is there any major difference apart from buzz? if it's nothing significant apart from that then there's no need for me to regret not ordering anything from the regular line.

i guess the great thing about shisha is that there's enough brands to satisfy everyone's preferences. whether you like the foreign taste of nakhla, the longetivity of tangiers, or the uniqueness of starbuzz, there's an option for everyone

QUOTE (DGreekStallion @ Jun 4 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should I be turned off Tangiers due to the acclimation annoyances, or is it worth it?

well the flavors i got to work, i found them to be awesome. I wouldn't say i am bias, i just prefer the "different" flavors nakhla offers. I find tang flavors to be more USA based if that makes sense, compare nakhla fakfhakina mixed fruits to tang tropical punch for instance. Nakhlas version of "mixed fruits/punch" is much different from the american version of mixed fruit/punch which tastes like hawaiin punch (or maybe that was tropical revenge)

but you get what i am saying. Or nakhlas version of cherry (mizo cherry i am talking about) is nothing like the typical USA cherry flavor. Melon blend smells just like one of the bubbleicious gum flavors (name of it i can't remember atm)

So if you are a fan of those types of flavors ... i don't think it gets any better than tangiers.

Definitely give it a try and see if you like it, if you don't that is obviously fine, there are plenty of us who have different preferences, tang isn't the end of all shisha, but it is great stuff that is well worth the price, just gotta decide if it is for you.

QUOTE (contristo @ Jun 5 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i ordered tangiers peach iced tea a few months ago and let it acclimate for 24 hours using the tin foil method. i did exactly as the picture/video tutorials on this site told me to, both in regard to the acclimation and packing process.

it smelled decently enough, but when i attempted to smoke it i got an odd combination: thin and harsh smoke. no flavor whatsoever either. i tried during a variety of sessions using one coal, two coals, three coals... none of them worked. it was a disappointment and a waste of $12 and a bunch of my time

that being said, i recently purchased lucid kashmir cherry and it's great! i really don't care that much about the buzz anyways, i'm mainly about taste and clouds, so the lucid line seems ideal for me. i'm going to order orange soda, horchata, and cactus fruit next time. it smokes great in my phunnel... i usually only have to use one 33mm golden coal to get it going. sometimes i need two to get it going, but i usually toss the second coal off after a few minutes because the tobacco burns so nicely. it burns so easily, is not harsh until its complete end, and lasts so long... very nice.

just curious -- for people that have tried the same flavor in both the regular and lucid line, is there any major difference apart from buzz? if it's nothing significant apart from that then there's no need for me to regret not ordering anything from the regular line.

i guess the great thing about shisha is that there's enough brands to satisfy everyone's preferences. whether you like the foreign taste of nakhla, the longetivity of tangiers, or the uniqueness of starbuzz, there's an option for everyone

if you're getting thin/harsh smoke from OG, but the same method used with Lucid works...then you're probably not using enough tobacco. i've found that i can get lucid to smoke good a variety of ways(best way being packed like OG), i can pack it light, medium, or dense and it still works. OG seems not to be as cooperative.

another thing could be acclimating. you said it smelled "decently enough"...my peach iced tea has a really strong aroma, like having an actual bottle of peach iced tea......then having it crammed up your nose.

as far as flavors between OG and Lucid...i do notice a difference, but not exactly sure what it is...there's just "something" ...maybe the nicotine adds a little twist on the flavors...

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ May 13 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Capt. Morgan @ May 13 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and a buzz like no other. edit: compared to starbuzz and fantasia

Had to =)

I've gotten buzz from tangiers a few times... but nothing more than nakhla buzz, and certainly less than desi murli.

Tangiers is good stuff, mainly what sets it aside from some other shishas for me is the mouthfeel... second only to nakhla for that. Tangiers also has some good unique flavors that are great to have around in case you get sick of the 'standard' type flavors.

True bud, it's definitely my favorite brand.

I haven't noticed a difference in flavor between og and lucid. The buzz seems to be the only difference to me.

Good news, though. I opened up a bag of schnozzberry the other day I bought when I bought my others but had not opened for lack of a container to put it in. Keep in mind, this sat in my cupboard for several months unopened. It actually smelled good right out of the bag. I let it acclimate for 24 hours just to be safe and then packed my bowl. It was actually not that bad. I got decent smoke and flavor. Nothing to write home to Mom about, but it was alright.

I've come to the conclusion that OG tangy is a good tobacco but just not worth the hassle. I love Mattarios2's comment about being able to pack Nakhla blindfolded and then stacking on the coals. I mean, anyone who's been on these forums for a while has read about a million posts of people having trouble with OG. I kind of see it like the old Vespa's. They're cool to ride, but if you get one you got to make sure you have the time and patience to work on it and keep it running. If you don't, buy a honda.

I'm just thankful for the lucid line. It's like the NEW vespa's - same cool look & feel, but they actually work. tongue.gif

What makes it so good?
well after just reciving my first order of tangiers and trying my first bowl.
I would say its the production procces.Like cooking great food the real secret is using the best ingedients to start with.
Also on the package it states that it is a new kind of mid-eastern style shisha tobacco.Actually I would say its more like old school traditional shisha tobacco before the time of candy watered down shisha for the masses.

QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 26 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as much as id love to try tangiers ( probably will cave soon and try it out) i have to say, the fact that im *forced* to acclimate the shisha before hand is a HUUUGE turn off and makes it impossible to be my every day smoke. i just dont have hours on end to sit it out before i smoke. when i smoke its usually on a whim and is my evening wind down i just cant start that wind down while im enjoying my evening lol.

but ill probably cave, order a bag and try it out one day when i have entirely too much time on my hands.

but i cant deny the quality your fanboys rave about so im going to trust all of you and asssume its good stuff.

lucid my friend haha

Smoke thin and harsh is an underpacked bowl.

There has to be a common thread to all people who can't get Tangiers to smoke right. The same symptom, the same cause.

The only thing I can think of is something about the environment of your houses, where you acclimate. Some people in Boston say its great, some people say they can;t get it to acclimate...same Boston, so something has to be different about your houses/homes/apartments. I really would like to get you guys on the right track, not to sell more tobacco, necessarily (That is a + though) but so people don't feel like they wasted their money. Thats the thing that upsets me the most, honestly.

I think I'll start a new thread.

I'm just smoking my second ever bowl of OG tangiers. This one is Blue Gumball, the first was Orange Soda. I opened them up at 1pm yesterday, it's 1pm today here, so this one's had 24 hours, and it's awesome. I packed just like I'd read to. I've been waiting eagerly for it to come so I made sure I was properly edumacated first, seeing as it's my first time with both Tangiers and a Phunnel, and it's smoking fine.

I think I need to be a bit braver with packing more in, that's all. Clouds could be a little bigger, and I reckon I could get a little more flavour, but seeing as these are my first and second attempts ever I'm completely happy. The flavours are really nice though, I like both. Orange Soda might be a bit too... orangey for my palate though, but that's just me. BGB is making me happy in my pants.

I was a bit unsure about acclimation, seeing as... I don't really know what it's meant to smell like! Well I think I do now. I think my Tropical Punch needs a little more time but they're all sitting out still. I think I'll close up the Orange Soda and Blue Gumball now or soon though.

I even manage to fuck up packing AF and Nakhla on occasion, so it's not like I've got the touch biggrin.gif

It doesn't seem to be that difficult if you pay attention to what people tell you, imo. We'll see how my next few bowls go but I think me and OG Tangiers are gonna get along just fine!

I'm eager to try Lucid as well just to see what it's like. I'm not feeling any buzz in particular because I smoke cigarettes like a chimney, although yesterday I did get a slight wobbly feeling.

Eric, a lot of people have mentioned this - have you considered making a video? From what I read from you you do it quite a lot different to the general method - you centre your coals, you don't move or ash them, a few things that seem 'weird' compared to the general methods used here. Edited by mohinder

So last night I packed the same schnozzberry that smoked well for me the other night and got zero flavor. Good smoke, good buzz, but no flavor. I don't get it. It still smells good. All I can figure is the hookah gods are angry with me for some reason.

Nothing that is outside the mainstream can be simply the sum of its parts. To some people it is a shining, black obelisk of passion and desire. To some, its an anthill that needs fumigating. To each his own.