Tangiers Help

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrShisha @ Mar 11 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cut the tobacco up into tiny shreds by using scissors, add 1 table spoon of honey to it, mix it thoroughly, let it sit for an hour or so, pack loads into the bowl, the same density as was in the bag, so incredibly stuffed, put the foil on, large fat ass holes everywhere, i mean big, cocktail stick holes x 10 kinda big, put one coal at a time and puff away, heating the tobacco as you smoke in a cold place so slowly heat it so not to give it temp shock. Should be good to go really *Shrugs* thats how id do it anyway if its not working 4 me!! With tangiers its kinda like you need to do it wrong to do it right, i know that seems wierd but all the ethics of packing other tobacco certainely goes out of the window!

eh? why would you want th shred tangiers? makes no sense..or add honey to any shisha? imo it spoils the flavour, adds a honey taste.. if anything add glycerin and a bit of honey, theyll cancel each other out. but tangiers is juicy enough.. best way i've found to pack it in a normal bowl is to pack it loosley to the rim, foil it and poke lots of holes with a shiskabob (sp?) stick.

I think, based on the pics above, that you are poking far too many holes. If it is not hitting well you may be pulling more straight air through the bowl than heat from the coals. try placing the holes in a pattern based on what kind of coals you are using to try and maximize heat on the shisha.

• 2 weeks later...
I only smoke Tangiers. Took me a while to get it right, but this is my setup. I use my tangiers funnel. I put shisha into the bowl, squish it down more and more adding a little at a time until it is right up to the rim. Use a toothpick to add holes (mostly around the edges not much around the middle). Start off with one charcol and add another if i think i need it. Works for me...good luck!

Looking at your bowl, with the foil mashed down, thats how I determine how much the tobacco is in the bowl (too little/too much). From your picture, you have too little tobacco. When you mash the foil down, it shouldn't give more than an 1/8 of an inch or so. When you can see the outline of the phunnel, its definitely too little. I want to say if 100% is the amount of tobacco in a good bowl, I want to say you are somewhere around 60%.

Eric

Edit: That is, more tobacco. Less heat will balance out under-packed bowls, but the performance will suffer. You will get better performance, in my opinion, with more tobacco. Feel free to call the number on the package if you continue to have problems. 619/265-2225 if you threw itt away already. Edited by Sonthert

QUOTE (shisha @ Apr 4 2008, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only smoke Tangiers. Took me a while to get it right, but this is my setup. I use my tangiers funnel. I put shisha into the bowl, squish it down more and more adding a little at a time until it is right up to the rim. Use a toothpick to add holes (mostly around the edges not much around the middle). Start off with one charcol and add another if i think i need it. Works for me...good luck!

Thanks for your support. Considering the tobacco taxes in Canada, I am honored by your brand selection.

I do something similar, but I just dip the bowl into the container, after I stir the tobacco and then shovel it in until its full and then adjust the tobacco until its even. How the tobacco is packed in "the bag" is how it should be packed in the bowl. After getting to what I think is about right, I then do the foil mash down as a check to see if there's enough in there, adjust accordingly and when the the foil mash-down looks right, I poke holes and smoke.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Apr 5 2008, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at your bowl, with the foil mashed down, thats how I determine how much the tobacco is in the bowl (too little/too much). From your picture, you have too little tobacco. When you mash the foil down, it shouldn't give more than an 1/8 of an inch or so. When you can see the outline of the phunnel, its definitely too little. I want to say if 100% is the amount of tobacco in a good bowl, I want to say you are somewhere around 60%.

Eric

Edit: That is, more tobacco. Less heat will balance out under-packed bowls, but the performance will suffer. You will get better performance, in my opinion, with more tobacco. Feel free to call the number on the package if you continue to have problems. 619/265-2225 if you threw itt away already.

Oh ok wow I thought I was putting too much in. I didn't throw it out I just ran out since I tried to much. But I got another 250g to try again. I'm gonna pack the shit out of it and see what happens. Hopefully this will work. As of right now I can get it smoking thick and not harsh but it sort of tastes "dirty".

QUOTE (voski @ Apr 7 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric

Edit: That is, more tobacco. Less heat will balance out under-packed bowls, but the performance will suffer. You will get better performance, in my opinion, with more tobacco. Feel free to call the number on the package if you continue to have problems. 619/265-2225 if you threw itt away already.

Oh ok wow I thought I was putting too much in. I didn't throw it out I just ran out since I tried to much. But I got another 250g to try again. I'm gonna pack the shit out of it and see what happens. Hopefully this will work. As of right now I can get it smoking thick and not harsh but it sort of tastes "dirty".

Mate, pack it like fudge! I think thats the best strategy for noobs like us smile.gif I've never had a bad Tangiers bowl by packing it hard, and so far I've had a number.

But like Eric says, once you get better you wont need to pack it in so hard. But until that day comes, get a jack hammer and mash it in there!!!

QUOTE (manic007 @ Apr 8 2008, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (voski @ Apr 7 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric

Mate, pack it like fudge! I think thats the best strategy for noobs like us smile.gif I've never had a bad Tangiers bowl by packing it hard, and so far I've had a number.

But like Eric says, once you get better you wont need to pack it in so hard. But until that day comes, get a jack hammer and mash it in there!!!

I was pushing it down so hard it just stuck to my finger but I'll try it again this week.

But another question. Do you guys recommend a medium phunnel over a small one? I'm considering ordering a medium phunnel just for tangiers and I could use my small one for other tobaccos.

sry if i sound ignorant but im new and my phunnel is on the way to my house from calli and i want to kinda know what im doing befor it gets here.

how do you load other tobaccos in a phunnel...if possable

and durring the aclamation process is the container open?

QUOTE (Place_Name_Here @ Apr 8 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sry if i sound ignorant but im new and my phunnel is on the way to my house from calli and i want to kinda know what im doing befor it gets here.

how do you load other tobaccos in a phunnel...if possable

and durring the aclamation process is the container open?

normally, like you load any other bowl

and yes you keep the container open.

Well. So I packed another bowl today. I tried as hard as I could to make it look like it does in the bag after I mix it. And I packed a lot. When I pushed the foil down it gave in about 1/8th of an inch and I made the holes just like I did the other time. It smoked good for like 30 minutes and then it got harsh and you couldn't really take big hits or it would tickle your throat. =(

QUOTE (voski @ Apr 12 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well. So I packed another bowl today. I tried as hard as I could to make it look like it does in the bag after I mix it. And I packed a lot. When I pushed the foil down it gave in about 1/8th of an inch and I made the holes just like I did the other time. It smoked good for like 30 minutes and then it got harsh and you couldn't really take big hits or it would tickle your throat. =(

thats when you take a little heat off