A Peek Into Lounge Ownership...

This is somewhat 'off topic' but I was thinknig about eventually opening an online Hookah shop. I am just in the brainstorming phase right now and very very early in the process, but what types of tobacco lisences would I need? I would like to be able to ship over seas.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gr!m @ Jan 30 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is somewhat 'off topic' but I was thinknig about eventually opening an online Hookah shop. I am just in the brainstorming phase right now and very very early in the process, but what types of tobacco lisences would I need? I would like to be able to ship over seas.

you'd need business and tobacco lisences from your state.

QUOTE (gr!m @ Jan 30 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you would also need some "grey" morals and be willing to lie on customs documentation

QUOTE (mitchell8621 @ Jan 30 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mush, did you ever have to deal with extra "authorities" making sure you were being honest with the materials served in the lounge?
-confusing because I'm trying to avoid the ban,
-especially tough when the question is for the admin...

Not sure what you mean...feel free to pm me so you can speak clearly without violating any rules.. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (awrone @ Jan 30 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$60,000???? Wow. I expected 10-15K in my state.
I have about 50K to start mine in AZ. Im in the study process, doing my homework and such.
What did you spend most on? (In percentage)

where in AZ? it is a cakewalk to open a hookah bar in tempe. If you are in code 2 zoning you don;t need a tobacco license, any special permit..

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Jan 30 2008, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (awrone @ Jan 30 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$60,000???? Wow. I expected 10-15K in my state.
I have about 50K to start mine in AZ. Im in the study process, doing my homework and such.
What did you spend most on? (In percentage)

where in AZ? it is a cakewalk to open a hookah bar in tempe. If you are in code 2 zoning you don;t need a tobacco license, any special permit..

Yes, particularly in Tempe ASU area. What do you mean by "cakewalk" and Code 2 zoning? Do you mean it's easy? I'll look up what Code 2 zoning means anyway. Edited by awrone

Newest fun and Games:
I have to submit a monthly form to show any tobacco I have purchased from outside NC. Unless the seller pays NC excise tax that is, which doesn't happen. So I have to fill out 1 form stating how much tobacco I purchased, and then pay a %10 tax on that. Then I have to fill out another form saying I didn;t buy anything from this one company, no shit, and make copies of the invoices and mail them in with any money owed. If i didn't buy anything that month, I STILL have to fill out the forms and put 0 on the form and send it in. So, being me, I sometimes get behind in my r4eporting. So I have to add penalties and interest. Fine. In October, when they raised my tax rate from 3 to 10% I also had to pay a floor tax. Which was a nice way of saying inventory tax in the middle of the year. So I had to fill that out as well. To sum up, I sent in Oct and Nov, which were late, plus the inventory, which was late, and Dec, which was early ( i get a slight break if it's early) and a big check on Jan 11th. A week later I start getting calls from the department of revenue. They only Have my Nov return, which was all 0's, they don't know if my inventory was received cause thats a different office, and they don't have my check.

This begins a story that is still ongoing with daily calls, faxing in copies of my returns, some of them twice because they can't seem to find the faxed second copies, and sending in a fax of my check log showing the check I wrote to them, and checks before and after it.

I was told that at the end of the year they tend to hire ectra help and sometimes these folks throw stuff away, like tax forms and checks...SAY WHAT?

Today I am woken up to be told they want me to cancel my check (at my expense) and issue a new one, and can I please send Dec's return (i've sent that one in originally, faxed it TWICE and they still don't have it) and oh yes, they do have my inventory form.

So out of the envelope they have 1 month's return, my inventory, but not my check or the other 2 months.

I called the Secretary of the Department of Revenue today...got a trouble shooter in their office who is going to look into the situation and find out what the HELL is going on in the processing office.

All before I was even awake or had a chance to eat my Wheaties. So if you want to open a bar, prepare for the "return of the beurocracy (sp)" starrign some underpaid overworked passive agressive civil servant.

*sigh*

Oh and one of my beer distributors is going out of business and the companies theycarry are boing picked up by other distributors all over the fricking place...and one of my best sellers hasn't been picked up yet at all...

QUOTE (mushrat @ Feb 6 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Newest fun and Games:
I have to submit a monthly form to show any tobacco I have purchased from outside NC. Unless the seller pays NC excise tax that is, which doesn't happen. So I have to fill out 1 form stating how much tobacco I purchased, and then pay a %10 tax on that. Then I have to fill out another form saying I didn;t buy anything from this one company, no shit, and make copies of the invoices and mail them in with any money owed. If i didn't buy anything that month, I STILL have to fill out the forms and put 0 on the form and send it in. So, being me, I sometimes get behind in my r4eporting. So I have to add penalties and interest. Fine. In October, when they raised my tax rate from 3 to 10% I also had to pay a floor tax. Which was a nice way of saying inventory tax in the middle of the year. So I had to fill that out as well. To sum up, I sent in Oct and Nov, which were late, plus the inventory, which was late, and Dec, which was early ( i get a slight break if it's early) and a big check on Jan 11th. A week later I start getting calls from the department of revenue. They only Have my Nov return, which was all 0's, they don't know if my inventory was received cause thats a different office, and they don't have my check.

This begins a story that is still ongoing with daily calls, faxing in copies of my returns, some of them twice because they can't seem to find the faxed second copies, and sending in a fax of my check log showing the check I wrote to them, and checks before and after it.

I was told that at the end of the year they tend to hire ectra help and sometimes these folks throw stuff away, like tax forms and checks...SAY WHAT?

Today I am woken up to be told they want me to cancel my check (at my expense) and issue a new one, and can I please send Dec's return (i've sent that one in originally, faxed it TWICE and they still don't have it) and oh yes, they do have my inventory form.

So out of the envelope they have 1 month's return, my inventory, but not my check or the other 2 months.

I called the Secretary of the Department of Revenue today...got a trouble shooter in their office who is going to look into the situation and find out what the HELL is going on in the processing office.

All before I was even awake or had a chance to eat my Wheaties. So if you want to open a bar, prepare for the "return of the beurocracy (sp)" starrign some underpaid overworked passive agressive civil servant.

*sigh*

Oh and one of my beer distributors is going out of business and the companies theycarry are boing picked up by other distributors all over the fricking place...and one of my best sellers hasn't been picked up yet at all...

Oh im ready.........im a tax professional and I know how that road goes............this is where an accountant comes in handy.

QUOTE (awrone @ Feb 6 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Feb 6 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Newest fun and Games:

*sigh*

Oh im ready.........im a tax professional and I know how that road goes............this is where an accountant comes in handy.

Oh I have an excellent accountant. A friend of mine I wouldn't have been able to have done this without....she works for free so I let her worry about most of the stuff and handle the tobaccco tax stuff myself since I'm most familliar with the stuff....

All that sounds like a bitch to go through. I can't believe they just make you send another one in at your expense!

Any news on the second HookahBliss???

Hookah.gif

QUOTE (iamscott06 @ Feb 6 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All that sounds like a bitch to go through. I can't believe they just make you send another one in at your expense!

Any news on the second HookahBliss???

Hookah.gif

Well, we're at the point hwrere we are going to meet with the landlady.

New topic of discussion, Puking and people passing out.

Needless to say some folks can't hold their smoke, especially if they have been drinking liquor before coming in or are smoking on an empty stomach. If you open a place, be prepared to clean up the bathrooms regularly.

I've also had 3 customers pass out from smoking too much. Calling the paramedics is always fun...

Wow, just from smoking... noobs. I remember a few years back going to Smiley's and seeing a few people puke outside; it was from hitting up the bars way to hard and trying to smoke hookah. Edited by Jeff_T

just do what me and one of the cooks used to do when i worked at a hookah lounge.
pick up said passed out kid from bathroom or lounge. put outside in alleyway, call cops and say drunk college kid is outside your bar and he/she fell down when they tried to walk out.

QUOTE (thecoalition @ Feb 12 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just do what me and one of the cooks used to do when i worked at a hookah lounge.
pick up said passed out kid from bathroom or lounge. put outside in alleyway, call cops and say drunk college kid is outside your bar and he/she fell down when they tried to walk out.

depending on how old they are, I'll just say the stumbled walking by... cool.gif