Woohooo My First Batch Of Tangiers Arrived

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont understand

i loaded another bowl this time peach iced tea.. i over loaded it, just like the picture

i threw on 2 exoticas (halfs)

and iam getting no flavor what so ever, good smoke, but no flavor

sigh

Clickhea,

do this, overpack the bowl using a fork. make sure its clumpy when u put it in. make sure there are no empty spots and that the side walls are covered in tobacco. then, let the bowl acclimate whereever you are smoking without the foil on for about 30mins or so. then foil it up, put a ring of big holes on the very outside of the bowl. then make a second ring about 1/4 down from the 1st ring. and then a 3rd ring ifu please. Make sure everything is airtight. your charcoals using exoticas should be like this (l l) ---> ( is the bowl and the -----> l l are the coals.

Thats why tangiers is not for me. I smoke everyday + 6-8 bowls on weekends. about 10-12 bowls a week. If i smoked tangies i'd need a 250g of tangiers every week. My go to brand is alfakher, which i underpack in my 10g bowl. about 6-7g every time. i usually smoke for about 2 hours a bowl and the taste is still crisp. I believe tangiers is not worth unless you are seeking the buzz (i might be wrong tho) cz you have to use 25-30g of shisha for a 2 hour session and you also need practice and effort to do it right. I just spread less than 10g in my nornal Egyptian bowl, cover with foil, poke random holes and am ready to go in 2 mins.

I have a large phunnel bowl and this is how I do it. I have a 24" Eygptian Hookah, MYA hose, Ice and water in the base. I put the foil over the bowl so it is reallly tight and flat.

I do not pack my bowl as others have shown here. I place the Shisha in the bowl and do not pack it down except very lightly. As I pick up the Shisha out of the container I make sure I have nice chucnks to lay in the rim. I only take a little at a time and to place it in the Phunnel. The bowl is full but not over the top and I would say I have aroung 15 grams or less in the bowl. I only poke 1 set of holes aroung the middle of the Phunnel ring. I think of a clock and put in 12 holes in at 12, 1, 2, 3, etc. Then I poke 4 holes around the Phunnel hole in a square pattern. Sometimetime I will start with 2 full 33mm QL's. I move them around the bowl frequently. Then as the coals burn I add a half of a 40mm or halves of 33's to keep the proper heat going. I can smoke for 3 hours this way and no flavor loss or burnt tatse. Right now I am 45 min into Orange soda, big clouds, excellent taste and a little buzz biggrin.gif Time to go throw on a half of a 40 now. Don't be afraid to start breaking up your QL's if you are using them. You find a huge difference in being able to mange the heat. I hope this helps some. Edited by Snoopy1966

Voski: Yes, i actually just started using exoticas, i used to use 3k all the time. When i use 3k i used 3 1/2 tablets spaced evenly. 4 1/4 pieces works well for people who dont smoke much though (not as hot).

Boulderkid: how big of holes do you make? mine are toothpick sized and do you put less in?

clickhea: I use 1/3 less coals than you, those coals you see in the pics are 1/3 pieces. try smaller pieces and add more on... little squares work well too.

the bowl was packed pretty high, when i put the foil on tight, it packed the shisha down into the bowl pretty well i dont know if that is a problem or not.

also the hole pattern i use is the same as the one shown in your pictures.. i was getting decent smoke, but almost like charcoal taste.

make sure your coals are lit all the way and use a little less. a whole stick at a time (in halves) is a lot! i had the same crappy taste with exoticas at first when i was lighting them with a propane torch. now i make sure they are lit all the way on a hotplate

Yeah this time I had a lot of ash. I was trying to use my new MYA tongs. I think I will stick to my old ones(tongs)
This was 3 plus hours though...

I use Golden Coal QL's. Summer Iuse the naturals. It is to hard to use them in the winter in my apartment.
This session started with a 40 broke in half and half of a 33. I got it up to temp. took off the 33 half for bit. Then I just move the coals around a lot. I probably used 2 40's and 3 33's total. Maybe I should ash more instead of pushing the coals. Most the time I am smoking I am gaming.....so that hinders my coal ash. Yes it is Tangiers. I will post up a pic on how I pack my Phunnel. Edited by Snoopy1966

QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Dec 16 2007, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah this time I had a lot of ash. I was trying to use my new MYA tongs. I think I will stick to my old ones(tongs)
This was 3 plus hours though...

I use Golden Coal QL's. Summer Iuse the naturals. It is to hard to use them in the winter in my apartment.
This session started with a 40 broke in half and half of a 33. I got it up to temp. took off the 33 half for bit. Then I just move the coals around a lot. I probably used 2 40's and 3 33's total. Maybe I should ash more instead of pushing the coals. Most the time I am smoking I am gaming.....so that hinders my coal ash. Yes it is Tangiers. I will post up a pic on how I pack my Phunnel.

wow... i think ill wait and see pics and try your packing method. i cant follow that heat management though haha.