Hookah Bubbling

I saw a product on H-S called a diffuser, and it claimed to, among other things, reducing the bubbling noise of your hookah. Now I understand that at a certain point I can understand where it could become annoying, but mine isnt annoying and I think it's part of the "hookah experience", what do yall think?

The bubbling is all good!

In theory, a diffuser is supposed to help filter the smoke through the water- more tiny bubbles = more bubble surface area in contact with water. Nicotine is water soluble. As for the other bad crap we get from smoking...?

I'm not convinced that a diffuser has any effect on the healthiness of the smoke. I guess some people use them to make the hookah more quiet? Can't figure why anyone would want to do that though.

The reviews and item description for the diffuser on Hookah-Shisha.com says it increases taste, more smoke, helps filter, and reduces noise.

I was thinking about purchases one (It comes with both the small bulky one and the short and stout one at H-S), but I forgot to include it in my purchase thats coming tomorrow. Whenever Im low on shisha and order from there then I'll probably post a review on here, because I don't see one on the forums.

I've been thinking about getting one since I have some pretty serious hearing loss and its hard to hear what people are saying over the bubbling.

edit: when I say serious I mean that I'll need hearing aids in two years and I'll most likely be deaf by the time I hit the ripe age of 44 sad.gif Edited by Big Boss

QUOTE (newsman @ Jul 6 2007, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an old, old saying I just made up:

"If your hookah doesn't bubble, it's not worth the trouble."

I like the quick invented saying.... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

To the diffuser thing(spelling?) I think you are definetly wierd if you do not like the bubbling sound as it is part of the hookah experience....BUT if it is to loud if you are trying to hear something/someone then I agree the sound can get annoying.

-H&S

I agree with most of you guys, that it is part of the hookah experience, but I was smoking and trying to watch 24... it's hard to know the exact reason why Jack Baur's cutting a dude's finger off with his own cigar cutter if you can't hear it wink.gif

I dig the bubbling sound, but, as others have said, it's hard to hear over it sometimes. My fiance and I are usually playing a video game or watching a movie when we smoke, and the noise does sometimes interfere. Also, he is all but deaf in one ear (occupational hazard-he fired MK19's for a living), so even jsut hearing a conversation over the bubbling can get annoying...not to him, but to me, when I realize he is not really listening to me, lol

Anyway, I really like the bubbly sound, but I am trying out the diffusers, just to have an option for when the hookah is more of an accent, than the main focus of the evening.

yeah, it would be nice to have someone HONESTLY post a good recommendation of these things and if they really do make the smoke more flavorable. I am more for the flavor than anything and if these suckers work then they maybe nice to have laying around! I kinda like the bubbling though...to me it sounds peaceful.

QUOTE (oggie505#2 @ Jul 6 2007, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to save money, i believe there is a DIY on a homade diffuser, get the widget from a guiness ( my spelling sux) or a bodingtons can, put some holes in it, and all it cost u was a pack of beer

I assume you are referring to a widget from a bottle and not a can, as the can widgets are spherical and not cylendrical. I've got a damn good excuse to go pick up a sixer of Guinness now!

Mk19's for a living, was he a Military Police Officer? That is one bad Grenade Launching Machine Gun, the weapon of choice for the MP :-) Anyway, I have a diffuser on my Egyptian and it smokes wonderful. I don't have one on my Mya, and it still smokes fine, but I might try and rig one up to test the difference. That being said, a ton of ice in your vase quiets down the hookah considerably.

QUOTE (mrmonk7663 @ Jul 7 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mk19's for a living, was he a Military Police Officer? That is one bad Grenade Launching Machine Gun, the weapon of choice for the MP :-) Anyway, I have a diffuser on my Egyptian and it smokes wonderful. I don't have one on my Mya, and it still smokes fine, but I might try and rig one up to test the difference. That being said, a ton of ice in your vase quiets down the hookah considerably.

Would you say your Egyptian smokes better than when it didn't have a diffuser on it?

QUOTE (mrmonk7663 @ Jul 6 2007, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, no, he was a mk19 instructor. He taught about 200 ppl a day how to use them...for several years.

He's a recruiter now. It sucks. We both hate it =[

On topic: I rarely put ice in my vase, simply because it seems so much LOUDER.

If you like to make your hookah more quite buy the diffuser. I know that it reduce the bubbling noise but for the increase in taste i'm not quite sure. It's up to you but if you buy one don't forget to give a review about it. Thanks smile.gif peace.

QUOTE (hookah hippie @ Jul 7 2007, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mrmonk7663 @ Jul 7 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you say your Egyptian smokes better than when it didn't have a diffuser on it?

I second that...and would like to know if it is better with a diffuser???
thanks

-H&S

My good friend bought a diffuser for his Egyptian hookah and we set it up side by side with mine that did not have a diffuser. We used different flavors, which looking back was dumb since we wanted to see if it made a difference. It definately made it more quite and MAYBE gave it thicker smoke, it was hard to tell really. We just call it the silencer now. Hope that helps, and honestly i dont know if i would trust testimonials on a retail website. blink.gif

If you want to reduce the noise of your hookah, hacksaw the bottom part of your downstem off. Don't cut off too much! 15" is about the minimum. Use a vice or anvil to prop the shank on, so you don't bend it!