Hey what gives....('Shisha is the pipe NOT the tobacco')

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap guys I think we are being duped here by "King Mo". I think this is another character played by Sacha Baron Cohen!!! Barot, Ali G, were not enough so he has added "King Mo"!!!!
Check this vid and tell me if this does not fit [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_2fqeLx_Fc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_2fqeLx_Fc[/url]

Hrmmm King Mo's opinion = [img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/bennaus/bbcjoke2.jpg[/img]

These brit's have a very twisted take on liberalism, and equality. BBC has even remarked how biased and 'moderate left wing anti american and anti-christian' they are.

King mo seems to be yet another of our beloved brittish moderate lefties

Well if my understanding is right, Mo your not even right on the meaning of shisha. From what ive read, its origins are a persian word meaning glass or something along those lines. So the arabic people changed it to mean the whole damn pipe, so why cant other people change it to mean what they want?

Were not slaves of language, language serves us and as such changes to mean what we want it to mean.

[quote name='EvansLight']Well if my understanding is right, Mo your not even right on the meaning of shisha. From what ive read, its origins are a persian word meaning glass or something along those lines. So the arabic people changed it to mean the whole damn pipe, so why cant other people change it to mean what they want?  

Were not slaves of language, language serves us and as such changes to mean what we want it to mean.[/quote]

I know where shisha comes from. I also know what shisha refers to. It already refers to the pipe, and as such, there is no logical reason why it should refer to the tobacco. In American sites, more often than not, the tobacco is not referred to as shisha.

Why change something when it already has an established meaning universally.

If Shisha already refers to the hookah, then when someone makes the mistake of referring to the tobacco as 'shisha', a correction should not be offensive.

Still waiting for a mod to comment on the racism quoted earlier.

[quote name='benny']Hrmmm King Mo's opinion = [img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/bennaus/bbcjoke2.jpg[/img]

These brit's have a very twisted take on liberalism, and equality. BBC has even remarked how biased and 'moderate left wing anti american and anti-christian' they are.

King mo seems to be yet another of our beloved brittish moderate lefties[/quote]

you mean Blair Bush Corporation??

possibly the most anti arab and anti islamic organisation ever.

Still, some people wish to go to great lengths to weasel out of the main issue.

[quote name='Joseph'][quote name='King Mo']Thanks for bumping my thread guys, much appreciated :)[/quote]

Was that a post just to make your post count go up, which is what you accused others of?[/quote]

hmm, shall be cyclical and simply requote your quotation??

perhaps you should look at my registration date, and that of others with more posts, and you will see such an accusation is rather muted. (not to mention the relative length of my posts).

what the hell:

Was that a post just to make your post count go up, which is what you accused others of?

:lol:

Starting a thread by calling others ignorant won't make many other people want to agree with you. I have worked as a tutor for biology and chemistry, if I went up to a student and said "you ignorant person, you don't even know the differance between a carboxyl group and a corbonyl group? And how can you be so ignorant to not know the differance between DNA polymerase I and DNA polymerase III? " they would not want to listen to me, even though I knew the correct answer, they may even become deffensive. As any child should know (note the context) its not just what you say, but how you say it

Also, can you PROVE that it is wrong for words to change meaning as the move to new geographical areas? The hookah has had many names, changing as it went to new areas. The tobaccos name changed when it came to america. One name is not better than the other, they are just differant.

[quote name='King Mo'][quote name='EvansLight']Well if my understanding is right, Mo your not even right on the meaning of shisha. From what ive read, its origins are a persian word meaning glass or something along those lines. So the arabic people changed it to mean the whole damn pipe, so why cant other people change it to mean what they want?  

Were not slaves of language, language serves us and as such changes to mean what we want it to mean.[/quote]

I know where shisha comes from. I also know what shisha refers to. It already refers to the pipe, and as such, there is no logical reason why it should refer to the tobacco. In American sites, more often than not, the tobacco is not referred to as shisha.

Why change something when it already has an established meaning universally.

If Shisha already refers to the hookah, then when someone makes the mistake of referring to the tobacco as 'shisha', a correction should not be offensive.

Still waiting for a mod to comment on the racism quoted earlier.[/quote]

because every language has different meanings for one word. Just because in the arab language shisha means the whole pipe doesnt mean that its the defining factor in every all things shisha. In arab in means pipe, in the USA it could mean the tobacco also. Thats just how languages work.

[quote name='Joseph']Starting a thread by calling others ignorant won't make many other people want to agree with you.  I have worked as a tutor for biology and chemistry, if I went up to a student and said "you ignorant person, you don't even know the differance between a carboxyl group and a corbonyl group?  And how can you be so ignorant to not know the differance between DNA polymerase I and DNA polymerase III?  "  they would not want to listen to me, even though I knew the correct answer, they may even become deffensive.  As any child should know (note the context) its not just what you say, but how you say it

Also, can you PROVE that it is wrong for words to change meaning as the move to new geographical areas?  The hookah has had many names, changing as it went to new areas.  The tobaccos name changed when it came to america.  One name is not better than the other, they are just differant.[/quote]

Thanks, you're actually posting a comment I can respond to.

I did not call anyone ignorant in my initial post.

The only mention of ignorance was this:
[quote]It makes no difference to me whether some peeps will prefer their ignorance (which it will be upon reading this and continuing in error), or whether some will try to say it properly.[/quote]

the brackets indicate that once you know the mistake, yet continue to believe otherwise, it is fair to call you ignorant. Now, I am ignorant of a number of things, being an Mechanical Engineering Graduate, you could say I am ignorant with regards to Chemical Engineering. There is little offence in that and really, to call someone ignorant (which in essence is lack of knowledge) does not justify personal attacks and racism, when the bracket itself explained that 'those who continue in their error upon reading'.

If you are an academic, then assuming you have good experience at dealing with people, you should see that my initial post could've been responded to differently, and the number of issues stemming for it are beyond justification.

It really is not very offensive.

as for Entrailsgalore.

I appreciate the need to feel that in America, you can call something what you like because it is not American. The point is, in America, the Shisha still refers to the pipe. Most American sites show this, and even american tobacco manfacturers do not put 'shisha' on their packaging.

IT is analogous to you referring to Spaghetti, as Pizza, and vice versa. If you called Spaghetti , Pizza should you not be corrected?

Or is it the right of any random joe to call pizza, Spaghetti, and argue their case claiming they are not ignorant, and are simply racist :D

Now that's an analogy.

If you read back, I called those people on their racial remarks, telling them they are out of line.

Why is it acceptable to redefine mollasses as tobacco, when it is really a sugar byproduct? The word mollasses simple evolved in certain areas amound certain people in a certain contxt to mean tobacco with mollasses on it. The same thing happened with the word shisha in America. When people use the word mollasses to refer to tobacco do you correct them, or just know what they mean by contect and knowing the people?

Because most hookah sites you browse through call the pipe shisha doesnt mean that in the english language( weather its from america, britain, canada, etc) some people cant refer to the tobacco as shisha.

You are correct, in Arabic shisha means pipe. But in english we have words such as " Plane" which mean two things. Same with with words like: Course, note, trunk, star, bank, etc. It is a mechanic in the english language. And most english has derived from otehr launguages, so in English Shisha could mean pipe or tobacco. Im nto an english major but I did pay attention in high school.

[quote name='Joseph']If you read back, I called those people on their racial remarks, telling them they are out of line.  

Why is it acceptable to redefine mollasses as tobacco, when it is really a sugar byproduct?  The word mollasses simple evolved in certain areas amound certain people in a certain contxt to mean tobacco with mollasses on it.  The same thing happened with the word shisha in America.  When people use the word mollasses to refer to tobacco do you correct them, or just know what they mean by contect and knowing the people?[/quote]

I have not accused you of justifying racism. I have called upon the mods to hopefully deal with that.

Now, I have no problem with the evolution of words. Gay means happy and now in the dictionary Gay means homosexual.

There is no problem with such words.

With regards to the roots, or the future of the words, this is no the issue.

In the USA, people still refer to the Shisha as the pipe. In the USA some people refer to the tobacco as Shisha.

a) the manufacturers do not put 'flavoured shisha' as a label on their flavoured tobacco or molasses. This is because a 'flavoured shisha' is made from metal and glass/plastic.

B) Shisha is a noun that means a hookah, pretty much everywhere where smoking hookah is involved, even in India (I have verified this). Therefore, for someone to call the tobacco 'shisha', is not a result of evolution, simply a result of people smoking something that they've seen or heard called 'shisha', and they've mistakenly called the tobacco that.

It is a lack of knowledge that results in this.

c) People have been rather offended because they have been calling the thing by the wrong name, therefore cannot grasp that despite many Americans , and some even on my thread agreeing with me. To say 'in america we say shisha for the tobacco' is simply false, and there will be americans that disagree with you.

d) It is analogous to calling spaghetti pizza. Do you believe this is acceptable if people thing 'hey Italian junk, all the same, spaghetti, pizza, same thing'.

Shisha = hookah
Shisha does not = tobacco.

both are seperate things. To unite them is simply compounding the mistake of some Americans (and a number of non-shisha smokers that are introduced to shisha).

[quote]Blair Bush Corporation??

possibly the most anti arab and anti islamic organisation ever.[/quote]

Whats your opinion on a "pro arab and pro islam" organization?

One that supports terror, and the destruction of israel I presume.

And you need to draw a line between self defence and terror, before u accuse the US, Brittain, Australia or Israel of Terrorism.

Self defence means the use of violence to protect citizens from an external threat.

Terrorism, is the use of violence to achieve a political Goal.

Further more, if your in the mood of finger pointing, then the Governments of: Iran, Syria, Indonesia, Lebanon? The Taliban, Hamas, Hezballah? . How would you classify those?

You would probably say that they're battered, bruised, unfortunate disadvantaged people. and would morally equate any terrorism that they endorse, with self defence that they force Modernized Democratic nations to enter into.

I dont think that you could ever in your right mind say that the afforementioned countries endorse liberalism, freedom of speech and opinion, true freedom of religion, preservation of rights etc.

America and Brittain, serve much more honourable purposes, and rightly dont deserve the wild accusations that so many naive miserable people dish up.

What about calling tobacco "mollasses"? Mollasses already has a meaning, a sugar byproduct. Please tell me why it is acceptable to use this word, which is used by the vast majority of the world to mean one thing, to mean tobacco? All shisha tobacco has glycerol in it, why don't we call the whole product glycerol?

Thats what im trying to explain. In arabic it might mean one thing.

In english:

Im going to the river bank to fish OR Im going to cash a check at the bank.
My main course for dinner will be fish OR I took a math course in college.
I can hit a high Cm note OR Leave a note on the frige if you leave.
I packed a bowl of apple shisha OR lets smoke your shisha.

[quote name='benny'][quote] Blair Bush Corporation??

possibly the most anti arab and anti islamic organisation ever.[/quote]

Whats your opinion on a "pro arab and pro islam" organization?

One that supports terror, and the destruction of israel I presume.

And you need to draw a line between self defence and terror, before u accuse the US, Brittain, Australia or Israel of Terrorism.

Self defence means the use of violence to protect citizens from an external threat.

Terrorism, is the use of violence to achieve a political Goal.[/quote]

I don't look for 'pro arab' or 'pro islam' organizations. I look for neutral organisations that don't give a biased view, after all it's news.

By your definitions of terrorism and Self defence, Israel and USA are terrorists for their actions in Lebanon and Iraq.

Lebanon was destroyed before a single Southern lebanese rocket was fired in retaliation, and many lebanese have been kidnapped and killed prior to the kidnapping of 2 soldiers (within which destroying lebanon has no excuse- state terrorism).

Iraq was destroyed for no reason as the initial premise' weapons of mass destruction that the USA supplied' were not to be found, and it has never been a threat to the USA, in fact, it has always been an ally.

Iraq has experienced more terrorism due to US intervention than Israel and USA have experienced put together. (if body counts are anything to go by).

now, for further details, go to serious discussion.

My first IT job was a helpdesk job doing phone support for laptops. One of the smartest techs was also the biggest jerk. He would come across condescenting all the time and while he knew what he was doing, he got more complaints than anyone. Some of us had to put people on hold and talk to second level support and take longer to get and answer but would get customers giving props to us for being patient, polite, and giving them a respectful level of support. Meanwhile asshole had a way of helping people and leaving them pissed off enough to ask for his manager.
He just did not understand why no one liked him and he "knew" he was so much sharper than most the techs. When you factor in the asshole factor, everything else doesn't really matter.

Let me see, Mo calls me a racist? I use the word "infadel" and that makes me a racist? Is an Anti-Sematic <sp?> a racist? Mo sure fits that bill. Some of the Anti- U.S. remarks that were in depth were racist and covered entire groups of people.
I thought you had used the word infadel on another thread. Mushrat thought you had too but that he thinks it was deleted.
I really don't think you fall under the term racist actually. You are so egotistical and self-profess how you are the King I am pretty sure you are pretty much predjustice against mankind in general.

Let's be clear. I am not a racist. I do not like egotistical jerks that try to act as though they a superior to everybody else. It does not make a flip what race they belong to. So you can believe this has to do with race if you like but I pretty much get along with and like everybody else here I have dealt with. You on the other hand have made more enemies than anybody I have seen.
Just because I do not like Mo does not make me a racist. I didn't like the arrogant jerk at that first IT job either and for the same reasons.