Hey what gives....('Shisha is the pipe NOT the tobacco')

[quote name='cymptom']:lol: It's kinda hilarious that you (King) have a few times mentioned education in connection with your argument, as the type of argument you make has absolutely no place in contemporary academia. You keep talking about facts, so okay... lets talk about facts.

In Arabic, "m3assal" refers to hookah tobacco.
In Europe, "shisha" refers to the pipe.
In the US, "shisha" refers to hookah tobacco.

Those are facts (for now.) But the "fact" you want to argue is that when referring to hookah tobacco in any context, using the term "shisha" is WRONG. Do you actually believe that this is a FACT?  

You seemed reluctant to actually engage the main points I tried to make in the first thread, aside from the side note about your "posting style" and motivations to which you simply responded "Nut-uh!", so I'll reiterate a bit:

If you refer to hookah tobacco as "m3assal" in the US, it's very likely you will not be understood. Those who understand "shisha" as referring to the pipe and "m3assal" as referring to the tobacco have likely done some investigation of the hookah as a cultural item, but these people are not necessarily the "right" ones. [b]It is not "wrong" to smoke hookah in ignorance of its cultural origins. [/b]You can't simply declare that "m3assal" is the "correct" term for the tobacco just because hookah smoking is largely a product of Arabic cultures... there are no such universalities in reality, and arguing otherwise makes you look like a supremacist (though I'm not saying that's the case.)  

As for your motivations, just let me ask this: What is the point of arguing over the correctness of one term over the other even when the terms you argue against already have widely established connotations in the US? Both sides of terms have their respective "correctness" within their respective contexts. If an American goes abroad, he/she should be informed about the differences in terminology... but really, why would you take these socio-linguistic differences and call one side right and one wrong? You mention attacks on the "fabric of language" -- do I need to be the one to tell you that language is not a set of constant, absolute signs?[/quote]

I was going to reply, but as soon as I saw this... there would be no point, cymptom has made my points better than I could :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote name='Scalliwag'][quote name='JonnysGirl']King Mo, you cannot sit here and say that you were no just as guilty as the others for "name calling" you did it as well! I read the other thread entirely and you are just as much fault as the others.[/quote]

Well, you are technically wrong. Se, King Mo being the holder of all knowledge is not name calling, he is making a professional analysis. So let's say he calls someone an idiot. He is not name calling because his in depth analysis shows it to be true.
Those of us lowly and ignorant are just too below him to grasp it and in turn we think he is the idiot. But we are wrong and if you don't believe me, just ask Mo. ;)[/quote]

Haha, Scalli you are hilarious!!
This is such a pointless discussion...Regarless of what we say to "His almighty, lord of all knowledge" He still will not be satisfied....I hate to say it but, yes we are American and we tend to do things the way we want to, this is our country so with that said...We should be allowed to call it "Shisha" regardless to King Mos opinion...I dont care what he says, I will call it whatever I want...Fine, from now on, I am going to call hookah tobacco "pink bunny" what do you say to that KING MO???[/quote]

Well girl we just have to accept the fact that we are infadels and all is good ;)

[quote]Well girl we just have to accept the fact that we are infadels and all is good ;)[/quote]

Haha, according to him apparently...I personally feel that the majority of the people in this forum are very intelligent and well-worthy people...The most intellect I have seen in a public forum/chat room.

Kudos to you guys~

King Mo said "M3assal = molasses = muassal = Tobacco = Shisha Tobacco "

Now, molasses is a by product of producing refined sugar. Anyone who uses this word to mean a tobacco product is ignorant about what mollasses is. Molasses is an ingrediant in some, but not all, shisha tobacco, Calling shisha tobacco mollasses would be like calling "bread" "flour". Yes, flour is an ingrediant in bread, but it is not the whole product. Anyone who calles shisha tobacco "Mollasses" is IGNORANT about what mollasses is and is "raping" the word, destroying its meaning. It would be nice if people on this board did not equate mollasses, a sugar byproduct, with tobacco as this is completley incorrect.

[quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote]Well girl we just have to accept the fact that we are infadels and all is good ;)[/quote]

Haha, according to him apparently...I personally feel that the majority of the people in this forum are very intelligent and well-worthy people...The most intellect I have seen in a public forum/chat room.

Kudos to you guys~[/quote]

Hey, don't let a little thang like common sense mess ya up. We are all ignorant infadels.... just ask Mo dammit!!! BTW, Did you not get the memo from Mo that womenfolk aren't supposed to think for themselves anyways? ;)

man i had to laugh at his stupid comments! damn he just cant take it when someone doesnt fully agree with him. he claims that i ruined the thread i was the first one to step up and argue his point and he got all defensive. ohh well...guess what guys im playin work hooky!!!!! hehehehe to celebrate free shisha for everyone!!!!!

[quote name='Scalliwag'][quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote]Well girl we just have to accept the fact that we are infadels and all is good ;)[/quote]

Hey, don't let a little thang like common sense mess ya up. We are all ignorant infadels.... just ask Mo dammit!!! BTW, Did you not get the memo from Mo that womenfolk aren't supposed to think for themselves anyways? ;)[/quote]

Yeah I saw that, it doesnt surprise me considering he stated that he was arabic....Dont we all know how shitty arabic men treat their women...Funny, (MOST) American men treat their women like queens...I think that in general, the arabic nation just has it ALL WRONG, WITH EVERYTHING. I bet that if you said that arabic men treat their women wrong, he would try and argue with you and start stating his so called "facts"

I am an intelligent, open minded, female, American...therefore I can speak my mind freely and show a little skin sometimes...GET THE CONCEPT!!!

Regardless of what I say, it was carried too far way before I said anything. Yes, I am probably making it worse. I deleted half of what I said because it was racist and unfair. I apologize, but the other half of what I said was completely true!

[quote name='Joseph']Umm, I think some people have carried this a bit too far.[/quote]

point taken. My apologies for my part. I said a lot of stuff in a playful manner that were not meant do nothing but get a few laughs and piss off Mo :(

Personally, I am sick of all the ranting/raving/fighting/childishness going around here lately. I am starting to visit the boards less frequently because of it.

Just for the record, King Mo, I have nothing against you; but I can think of now two instances where your threads have turned into flame wars. Regardless of who started it, you continue to participate in them. You continue to call people childish, but you, yourself are behaving in this way by contributing to it. Perhaps you just need to calm down a little.

"Anyone who went crazy like xpimp and a few others like milquetoast who simply want to resort to childish name-calling, were ignored or decimated."

Decimated? Come on now.

Smoking hookah, or narghile, or argeeleh, or what ever you want to call it is a relaxing experience. Try to remember that.

True, many people refer to ma'assel(which Is the way I type m3assal, as many others do. Please do not misinterpret my incorrect syntax for ignorance) as shisha, and are unaware of its incorrectness. Though this is a valid topic to discuss on this board, you need to consider that perhaps it is your own militancy that has caused 2 threads to turn into fights.

I understand that you speak arabic, and consider yourself somewhat of an expert on the subject. Well, I am a semi-professional drag racer, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. I cannot tell you how many times I overhear (or read on forums), people who have absolutly no idea what they are talking about/doing regarding an automobile. I could jump in and impolitely explain to them that they are confused- or I can contine to let their BS conversation continue. If they are not doing something dangerous/hurtful, what is the point of me doing so (unless of course I genuinely wanted to help my fellow man, by bestowing my knowledge upon them)? Perhaps it is your method of delivery that is the issue.

I believe it is best for the forum, if threads like this become a thing of the past.

[quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote name='Scalliwag'][quote name='JonnysGirl'][quote]Well girl we just have to accept the fact that we are infadels and all is good ;)[/quote]

Hey, don't let a little thang like common sense mess ya up. We are all ignorant infadels.... just ask Mo dammit!!! BTW, Did you not get the memo from Mo that womenfolk aren't supposed to think for themselves anyways? ;)[/quote]

NOTE TO MODS:

Yeah I saw that, it doesnt surprise me considering he stated that he was arabic....Dont we all know how shitty arabic men treat their women...Funny, (MOST) American men treat their women like queens...I think that in general, the arabic nation just has it ALL WRONG, WITH EVERYTHING. I bet that if you said that arabic men treat their women wrong, he would try and argue with you and start stating his so called "facts"

I am an intelligent, open minded, female, American...therefore I can speak my mind freely and show a little skin sometimes...GET THE CONCEPT!!![/quote]

Now, With Scalliwag making a comment about 'infidels', implying that he is seen as such by me, with the obvious racial connotations regarding Islam, etc despite no such idiocy on my part.

jonny'sgirl, also seems to think that arab women are not happy with their men? American men treat their women like queens??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I could decimate your argument into worthless smithereens without even blinking a royal eyelid. If you want to show skin, that's your choice, perhaps you need the attention.

Most Americans have never ever left the United states, so in part, I do not blame your lack of appreciation for foreign cultures when all you are fed are media garbage. No excuses though.

I do wish to point out this ridiculous prejudice (then again if you're ignorant, you are one step towards being racist) which deserves adequate banning. Perhaps I should've stuck around to be a mod before a small but dedicated number of 'noobs' decided to bring down the integrety level a little, making some of the more legitimate posters look bad.

I hope such comments are dealt with by the moderators appropriately, as racism has no place in society, or on such a board. (I'm sure it violates some rule or other).

If you wish to debate those comments then the door was always open, but with your blatant racism which I will not accept, despite the majority of my comments being rather in jest (with serious fundamental undertones).

I do hope this is dealt with adequately, and I have quoted them for reference so all can see their ignorant minds.

I'm sure they may come up with excuses, as all racists do (my best friend is black, my step dad is an arab, my boyfriend is a turk) but naturally I hope this matter is taken seriously so that the public are not exposed to something vile as oppose to random, more common digs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic. :lol:

Now in line with the fact that I have addressed all comments put respectfully with adequate respect, I shall address some of the points for the more mature amongst you. Apologies in advance if I don't quote everyone, but naturally there's about 6 or 7 different people repeating the same mistakes so I'll adress the concerns. (obviously the racists shall be comfortably ignored)

I'll royally break it down into digestable chunks. Some of you may accumulate more posts than me, which is probably why forum life consumes greater emotion amongst you due to having more spare time than me, but I personally am very emotionally detached, as I always have been. I'll highlight mistakes or ignorance (or racism) naturally, but I always expect the worst. I take it as a compliment that some of you actually bother to take time to post insults as it clearly must've affected you to a considerable extent. If some of you have acquired a bit more knowledge about a different culture (racists excluded) then my work in this thread has been done.

1) The only time I have mentioned I am arabic (incidentally, I am London Born and raised so that makes me as English as most of you American, barring the native americans, of which I have cousins with such roots hence a more legitimate claim of being american ;), as oppose to the many Irish, Italian etc who are as American as I am English, which says something about the racists' ignorance ) was when Lebanese blond claimed to have legitimacy behind his/her incorrect claims due to the fact he/she was an 'arabic student'. Why some people display inadequacy regarding that fact is beyond me, as I have not used it in any way to imply authority. It is simply using my experience for readers to benefit. I give and take.
I am a native English speaker, so understand who you are talking to. As a British Arab, I have the fortune to be able to speak 2 languages fluently. I am no expert in the Arabic language which is incredibly complex with grammar rules that take decades to perfect. The concepts I am debating with you are as easy as the alphabet. Stop panicking when I mention 'arabic' as there is absolutely no reason to (well, except for the phobias the racists may have)

2) The 3 I use in m3assal, is the letter 3ain, which is the letter you would find in the name Ali for example or Aladdin if said in the correct arabic. It's nice that some peeps now know what it represents (the letter incidentally when written, looks like the numeric 3, which is why it is commonly used when transliterating arabic on webchats etc.

3) M3assal is literally 'molasses' in arabic. The product is called that, and there is no problem with it. It is also tobacco, and any adequate description will do. I have never said 'you should call it m3assal', and if you have the impression I did that, then prove it, as it's not hard to copy/paste my statements. Al-bab did it earlier and I responded to his questions. (his initial post which he deleted was 'owned' which again shows the standard of some of the posting)

4) My objection to the tobacco being called shisha, is because shisha is the pipe. If you call the pipe something else, it does not mean Shisha becomes the tobacco. It's calling an apple an orange and vice versa. Don't bring American culture into it, you can't simply play ignorant and blame America when many of the American websites, and members on this forum DO accept that the tobacco is not called 'shisha'. You are going at great lengths to change reality to satisfy an urge to remain ignorant. Why not open your mind to know what the hell you're smoking?? if not, there's always bongs.

5) It is a common mistake that people refer to the m3assal as 'shisha'. Upon being told what it is, the common response is 'oh, I didn't realise that, it's good to know'. This occurs amongst people of all cultures.

therefore, is it not the epitome of arrogance and ignorance, that people instead of admitting their error, they actually look to challenge the concept by saying "we are american, if we get it wrong, so what, I do what I like"

Seriously, a child (note the context) would grasp the simplicity better.

6) Whether it is slang, mistakes, or whatever, I do not care. I have simply highlighted a clear error by some, which they are too proud to accept. Don't hate the player, hate the game. My initial post was informative and those who benefit from the information will be adequate reward for the couple of minutes it takes to do a post.

7) My online persona as King Mo, is just that, an online persona. If you don't like it, then it's up to you, if you try to read too much into it, you'll simply confuse yourself and ultimately post insults and racism for no reason. Nobody was targetted by me in the intial post, and seriously, if you read it again, it is hardly contentious. As this is an internet forum, you are only judged by quality, not quantity. If you don't like my threads, I have not got a vice around your balls forcing you to respond. Clearly you simply want to corrupt a thread. Unless of course I raped your mother then fair enough.
I am King, I'll post with a royal air and that'll be that. You can benefit from something you do not like ;)

8 ) Shisha in America refers to the pipe. Shisha to some americans refers to both the tobacco and the pipe. If people want to confuse themselves by compounding such an obvious error then go ahead, but don't confuse the more informed, or more open-minded around you. If you see a child refer to a petrol, as a car, and to the car, as petrol, then you will correct him. I'm not sure why some people who I'm assuming are above 16 (legal age to smoke in the UK) do not understand the simple concept of error.

You do not put shisha, in the shisha, to smoke shisha.
You do not put hookah, in the hookah, to smoke hookah.

IT is exactly the same thing, and the sooner people accept this, the easier it'll help you when you want to get degrees, jobs and whatnot to benefit yourself, as these are essential human qualities (the ability to recognise common sense).

Now, I still hope this thread doesn't get closed, I'm sure the racism can be adequately controlled, and as a respect to the time I have spent explaining points, it would be nice for it to stay open

I speak with confidence, as I am confident of the fundamentals of my points as well as the fundamentals of the errors by those opposing my comments. Naturally, those opposing me have no basis therefore resort to simply trying to oppose me for the sake of it, rather than for a legitimate intellectual reason. I'm doing a slamdunk on hard ground, you guys are attempting a slamdunk on quicksand :D

Best wishes, HRH

if you have any questions/comments, please add them and I will respond in kind (within my time constraints)

[quote name='Lakemonster']lets just call it something totally random like "Hookahmagoop" here in America.... screw it.  

Fries or chips.... Torch or Flashlight... Trunk or boot.  

WHO cares? just smoke it.[/quote]

Damn, you may be onto something. Maybe we should come up with our own word here? Ideas? "stickybaccy" or maybe "shisha"?

[quote name='King Mo']I am King, I'll post with a royal air and that'll be that. You can benefit from something you do not like ;)

I speak with confidence, as I am confident of the fundamentals of my points as well as the fundamentals of the errors by those opposing my comments. Naturally, those opposing me have no basis therefore resort to simply trying to oppose me for the sake of it, rather than for a legitimate intellectual reason. I'm doing a slamdunk on hard ground, you guys are attempting a slamdunk on quicksand :D[/quote]Oh... wow... :shock:

Seriously king, you gotta start making some arguments or else your people are never gonna follow you. You simply declare that using the term "shisha" to refer to hookah tobacco is "wrong," but you have not provided us with a "legitimately intellectual" argument to support that claim. You have again neglected to engage my argument which purports that you have no grounds on which to call Americans "wrong" for using the term "shisha" to refer to hookah tobacco.

[quote name='djbomberto']Who Votes to ban  

Lame Mo? i do......i mean this is getting out of hand.[/quote]Well... do we really need someone stompin around trying to be king of the internet? :roll:

[quote name='King Mo']I'm doing a slamdunk on hard ground, you guys are attempting a slamdunk on quicksand :D[/quote]

Wow, this pic came to mind. Could this be Mo driving the lane? :)

[img]http://www.itiraf.com/tembel/gallery/komik/0funny_-_midget_basketball_pic.jpg[/img]

hahaha, what a ridiculous disrespect to a long post by King Mo, by people simply coming out with more crap.

Now, hopefully when the racists are dealt with, some people with legitimate queries may engage in discussion should they wish.

Otherwise, I suggest people respond if they wish to contribute, not attempt to gain credibility by simply attacking the King.

I will respond when necessary, but at the moment, I'll leave my digestable points to digest, and perhap the inevitable people with no quality, to continue with their garbage.

Legitimate responses will be responded to

Best Wishes

HRH