Here's Curiosity....and A Rant

Bulldog_916

I was looking into trying vaping and had ideas on setup and all that. Then I pulled back. Why you ask? I'll tell you.

One, it's in the name. Vaping sounds like something goth kids do when they aren't vamping or discussing the sources of their depression and how no one gets them. They wanna look like they're smoking but don't want the unhealthy side effects. Either smoke or just stop trying. Inhaling anything is unhealthy if it ain't air.

Two, I've watched a bunch of videos now on it and every single person in those videos 1. Looks like a hipster trying to get into the next big thing. 2 sounds asthmatic and like they have fluid in their lungs and 3. Talk about voltages and sub ohming and drippers and mods like nerds talk about processors and video cards and refresh rates on Far Cry.

I was ready guys, I was in. I wanted something I could realistically take with me in places smoking wasn't allowed or I couldn't set up a hookah. Now all I can think is, if I can't do the real thing, I might as well quit. Smoking is my gateway to relaxation and hovering my lips over a stick with a battery and a coil sucking on it hoping for anything but a dry hit seems the same as a habitual pack a day smoker trying to duck out for a smoke break. Like stress colored in chrome or copper or whatever the F they're made of now. My co-workers do it and it's helping them quit cigs and that's a good thing on every level. But for me, hookah is the real deal. It's got history. Guys like Eric from Tangiers always keep things interesting. Life moves too Damn fast and is too Damn short to not take a break and realize you're alive. Vaping is just the opposite of that. Stressed sucking on a chrome rig justifying your fast paced lifestyle. Even working 6 days a week I got time to stop and know I'm alive and all the flavors that brings even if it's only 3 right now.

Sorry fellas you know I love you all.

Different strokes for different folks. It's not for everybody. There are some "more legitimate YouTube reviewers" out there, such as Phil Psuardo and Todd's E-Cigarette Reviews. I tend to avoid the guys such as GrimmGreen and RIPTrippers. There's a waaaay larger market for Vaping that has exploded in a very short amount of time compared to hookah. The innovation and development that takes place is astounding if you look at where e-cigarettes were just a few years ago. Now most people want to ditch the cigarette connotation altogether and just call it vaping. Why? Because it's not just a healthier alternative for cigarettes. It's so much more than that.

I personally quit hookah and now Vape exclusively because when I started hookah, I didn't have a wife, house, dogs, side job, and kid. Now I do. I found myself hardly having the time to smoke hookah. Eventually it got to where when I did have time, I felt like my time was better spent doing something else. So now I just vape, which I can do in the car, at work, and with friends when the opportunity presents itself. It has been an excellent alternative to hookah for me. It better fits my lifestyle now. Do I wish I still had my hookahs? Sure. But they'd hardly ever be used, because I am that satisfied with my current vaping setup.

As for the history, vaping is building its own right now. You have guys like Eric of Tangiers who are innovating the market and trying to do different, better things.

Regardless, I hate to see you give up so quickly on something that I feel you could enjoy, if you used the right equipment and the right juice. Don't think of it as replacing hookah- use it as a supplement for those times you just don't have enough minutes in the day to setup a bowl. It doesn't have to be one or the other. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up vaping, mostly thanks to my brother.  He's hooked and I found it intriguing.  However, it won't replace hookah for me.  Like Chris said, it's more so to get nicotine and flavor when setting up the hookah wouldn't be convenient or feasible.

P.S.  Good to see you around, Bulldog.

Edited by Arcane

Thanks man.

I just couldnt see myself getting in that deep. I wanted to, but all the reasons above made me pull back. Life's too damn short to be trying to cram an otherwise enjoyable activity into a little stick so that you can do it anywhere. It loses its appeal. Then it really is habitual instead of recreational. And if it is habitual, you're addicted. Maybe not to the nicotine if there is any, but to the activity. I'm already addicted on a level to hookah, not physically but I really do need that escape from life to slow down and relax and remember that life is short. Maybe vaping is a healthier alternative, but it's probably more addictive and after factoring in all the posibilities, more expensive compared to hookah. I mean, look at cell phone addiction in places like Asia. They actually have AA-type treatments to get people to put down a cell phone. There is no nicotine in a cell phone that I know of. LOL

Depends on how far you let yourself fall into it. I can go weeks without vaping no problem, so I know I'm not physically addicted. Just went two weeks without it while dealing with the birth of my son. So much was going on leading up to it and at the hospital that I just didn't care to mess with it, even though it really doesn't take much time to rewick, drip liquid, and take a puff (if you're using a dripping atomizer, which is all I use now).

As for cost, you can get any clone mod or atomizer for a fraction of the cost of a hookah. E-liquid is also cheaper than hookah tobacco, I believe (haven't done the exact math on it). Then you're just out Kanthal or whatever you use for your coils, and cotton. I purchased 100 foot roll of kanthal off Temco's ebay page for $8 (which will last me likely years), and rolled cotton from CVS (also will last years) for $5. Compare that to the crazy cost of coals and Reynolds heavy duty wrap- it's a no brainer which is cheaper. Vaping is only more expensive when you HAVE to have every new mod or atomizer on the market. If you stick with one setup, then you're not out anything except for juice. ;) I have only spent about $50 for my setup originally, and upgraded several times, selling my old setup in order to get the new one. I actually paid $5 more in order to get my box mod (sold my old Stingray X mod and Mephisto RDA for $60).

Anything can be addictive. It's all about self-awareness and self-control. Some folks are better at it than others.

What setup you rocking, Jay??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely understand where you are coming from Bulldog.  And it definitely does not sound like vaping is the right choice for you.  I am most likely addicted to nicotine (and caffeine), so vaping serves to get my nicotine fix as well.  And it's a healthier alternative than cigarettes.

However, the act of smoking hookah itself is definitely not habitual for me.  It's a recreational activity, where like you, I want to just unwind and momentarily escape from the real world.  Keep it up man.  It sounds like you got things in perspective from your standpoint.

For my set up, I have a Turtleship and Hobo.

Anything that keeps cigarettes out of your hands is a good thing. Vaping is serving you well sir. I still might pick it up if for nothing else then to save me scratch on tobacco. If I only smoke 2 times a week that'll definitely stretch the baccy out more.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started vaping myself (thanks Chris) after being a long time Hookah smoker. I personally think its 2 different worlds. For me Hookah has always been about taking the time to setup, light coals, pack bowls, manage heat, share with friends. Its more of a ritual, than just a nicotine transportation device. Vaping is much more relaxed, kinda instant gratification. I mean if you just want to wake up first thing and puff a big beautiful cloud of orange soda you can do it. Wanna take a poop and fog the bathroom with minty blueberry? you got it! In the car? yeaup.. At work? its ok..  Like I said, its very different.

So as far as money goes.. I spend about the same on e-juice as I did on Shisha and coals.the difference is I didn't smoke hookah everyday. I vape about 4-5 mls of juice a day. Juice costs anywhere from .30-.50 cents a ML so its a couple bucks a day in juice. You will probably use less. A guy I work with says a 30 ml bottle last him a month..

• 1 month later...