Iain's Bike Thread

IainUM

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1354471199' post='563600']
Anyone on the forum into riding bikes? [b]I'm talking about any types of bikes[/b]. I like to ride mountain bikes on the trails down here in south florida but i also have a fixie i am about to custom paint myself this winter
[/quote]

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1354647413' post='563853']
well i intended it to be just bicycles, not motorcycles, too...........
[/quote]

oops

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1354717384' post='563944']
[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1354471199' post='563600']
Anyone on the forum into riding bikes? [b]I'm talking about any types of bikes[/b]. I like to ride mountain bikes on the trails down here in south florida but i also have a fixie i am about to custom paint myself this winter
[/quote]

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1354647413' post='563853']
well i intended it to be just bicycles, not motorcycles, too...........
[/quote]

oops
[/quote]

He was probably drunk when he made both of those posts, so............ :lol:

• 5 months later...

I decided to get back into biking and buy a new bicycle. A few of my friends mountainbike so I plan to get out with them this year. A lot of the ski hills, mountains and parks in alberta and bc are open in the summer as bike parks, so I'll probably check that out too. I ended up going with a Specialized Enduro Comp. Got a pretty good deal on it and it's a balanced bike that offers me enough adjustment for use riding it pretty much wherever. Stoked!

pmvWm.jpg

Holy fuckstick, $2k for a bike... I wish I could afford a REAL mountain bike. Good job, Ty. Unfortunately, I had to go with this... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-V2100-26-Mountain-Bike/16685814 Was within my budget and had pretty decent reviews. I know it's a Walmart bike, but for the casual amount of riding I'll be doing, it should be okay. I did the Site-To-Store optiion because I trust myself more than a Walmart employee to put it together. Should be ready for pick up tomorrow.

I toured all over both France and Japan by bicycle not so many years back.  There are still touring organizations out there.  And I absolutely plan to get back into it.  Best way to see anywhere.

'Rani

I decided to get back into biking and buy a new bicycle. A few of my friends mountainbike so I plan to get out with them this year. A lot of the ski hills, mountains and parks in alberta and bc are open in the summer as bike parks, so I'll probably check that out too. I ended up going with a Specialized Enduro Comp. Got a pretty good deal on it and it's a balanced bike that offers me enough adjustment for use riding it pretty much wherever. Stoked!

pmvWm.jpg

God that is such a gorgeous bike, making me a little jealous as I am about to unload my stumpy. I was so impressed by how well the enduro could climb, what a great ride.   

pmvWm.jpg

God that is such a gorgeous bike, making me a little jealous as I am about to unload my stumpy. I was so impressed by how well the enduro could climb, what a great ride.   

Do you already have another bike in mind if you are getting rid of your current one? I really wanted to try out a few of the different Enduro models, as the Comp is essentially the base model and I was willing to spend a bit more, but the salesman said they have basically been flying off the racks this year. Luckily they had my size! I really like the on-the-fly adjustments the front and rear susp has, you can add just enough stiffness to make climbing effortless and enough cushion for downhill that it doesn't feel choppy. Not sure if your stump has that, but it's seriously awesome. 

pmvWm.jpg

Do you already have another bike in mind if you are getting rid of your current one? I really wanted to try out a few of the different Enduro models, as the Comp is essentially the base model and I was willing to spend a bit more, but the salesman said they have basically been flying off the racks this year. Luckily they had my size! I really like the on-the-fly adjustments the front and rear susp has, you can add just enough stiffness to make climbing effortless and enough cushion for downhill that it doesn't feel choppy. Not sure if your stump has that, but it's seriously awesome. 

The Enduro pricing is kind of weird, I dont understand why they dont have anything in between the comp and the carbon, maybe the stumpy evo is kind of taking its place. I have not ridden in a while, knee issues have kept me off the bike. 

I used the propedal on the shock for climbing as I like the descents really cushy (where I would ride its almost all climbing then all descending) but honestly I never really used the compression damping on the fork. Maybe it would come in more handy with more travel, but the nicer forks seem to have really good slow speed compression and do not bob at all.

pmvWm.jpg

The Enduro pricing is kind of weird, I dont understand why they dont have anything in between the comp and the carbon, maybe the stumpy evo is kind of taking its place. I have not ridden in a while, knee issues have kept me off the bike. 

I used the propedal on the shock for climbing as I like the descents really cushy (where I would ride its almost all climbing then all descending) but honestly I never really used the compression damping on the fork. Maybe it would come in more handy with more travel, but the nicer forks seem to have really good slow speed compression and do not bob at all.

Yeah, I don't understand the Enduro pricing either. Big gap/jump in pricing from comp to carbon and the added features for that jump are a little bit lacking (aside from weight cut, which I honestly don't think is a big deal on an all mountain bike). The front for me is mainly a downhill thing, and to be honest I could keep it soft all the time, as the spring I get while climbing in the front isn't bad, but the back is just way to mushy when I'm pumping up a hill. Generally speaking, as a former bmx rider, I could ride very stiff all the time and be fine, but I do like having a good cushion for those hard drops.