Interviews

Nerdy

I have a very great interview tomorrow, it's finally a break that I need to get a career and not a job.
Anyone have any good tips, pointers, questions to ask?

I'm in IT and I'm going to be interviewing for a senior help desk tech position. I'm currently an information security administrator on a contract and the gig I will be trying to get is for a full time position, something somewhat hard to get in IT.

I know about the dress code and how to sell yourself to the hiring manager. Just need more tips.

Learn about the position and the company as much as you can. Try to incorporate this knowledge into the interview, it shows them that you do care about the interview. They might also ask if you have any questions for them at the end of the interview, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple prepared

[quote name='mavsfan31' timestamp='1352342721' post='560307']
Learn about the position and the company as much as you can. Try to incorporate this knowledge into the interview, it shows them that you do care about the interview. They might also ask if you have any questions for them at the end of the interview, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple prepared
[/quote]

I work for this company already as a contractor and I know the manager as he works indirectly with our team. So the company knowledge is there. This situation is just so different to any other interview I've had. Since we know each other how do I project myself without sounding cocky or fake? He already knows my personality and him offering an interview shows his interest in me. So that is a good sign for sure.

I would ask these questions:

What do you consider is the most important aspect of this job?
What do you expect from me a year from now?
What do you like most about this company?

Tell them that you are not looking for a job but a career and that you want to organically grow within the company. Most likely the help desk is going by the ITIL and tell them your plans on how to decrease the amount of tickets in the que, fullfill SLA requirements, provide training....etc

Good luck!

It's all good, the interview started a bit weird, typical HR type questions but then I took the interview in my hands and started asking questions about the position and the management style, things of that sort and the vibe in the room brightened up a bunch. I will know by the end of the month. He is having to overlook the candidates and possibly do second interviews.

I am going to say that I have a 90% chance of getting it. It's just a waiting game from here.

I just make sure I go in with tons of swag. Whaddup, bitches!

Nah, I typically go in pretty neutral and adapt to the person's mood/personality. If its some lady, I try to be sweet and whatnot. If it's some bro type of guy or whatever, I try to be a "guy's guy," if you know what I mean. I basically just play off of whatever the vibe is and go with it. I generally feel well when leaving interviews.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1352699700' post='560761']
I just make sure I go in with tons of swag. Whaddup, bitches!

Nah, I typically go in pretty neutral and adapt to the person's mood/personality. If its some lady, I try to be sweet and whatnot. If it's some bro type of guy or whatever, I try to be a "guy's guy," if you know what I mean. I basically just play off of whatever the vibe is and go with it. I generally feel well when leaving interviews.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Yep, it's what I had to do in the interview. The first few questions were just so mundane. Then I took the questions in my hands and asked him questions, asked him what he is liking for, spinning his answers in things I could relate to.. Heck we even talked about VW and how we are fanboys. All in all I say it went well. The only thing that is left is the waiting game.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Nerdy' timestamp='1354323803' post='563468']
Thanks much fellas. I think I need to find a pipe that is .. A bit [b]exotic[/b]. Ideas? Farida? Elmas?
[/quote]

If you're looking for exotic, you really only have one option...

[url="http://www.starbuzztobacco.com/starbuzz-gallery/"]http://www.starbuzztobacco.com/starbuzz-gallery/[/url]

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354414568' post='563546']
Al Nawras Syrian from Mark at Kasbah.us.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]
Funny you should mention this Chris.

I just got home from celebrating with my fiancée, and the convo came up of what would i like as a "gift" she knew it was hookah related. But I mentioned that I would love to get a narwas spear. I find that pipe beautiful. I looked on marks site earlier today and I didn't see any as being available :-/

I plan on getting that within a couple months. I hope there is a stock up soon. I also hope that Syria gets their stuff together, scary shit going on there.

Edited by Nerdy

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1354394100' post='563524']
[quote name='Nerdy' timestamp='1354323803' post='563468']
Thanks much fellas. I think I need to find a pipe that is .. A bit [b]exotic[/b]. Ideas? Farida? Elmas?
[/quote]

If you're looking for exotic, you really only have one option...

[url="http://www.starbuzztobacco.com/starbuzz-gallery/"]http://www.starbuzztobacco.com/starbuzz-gallery/[/url]
[/quote]

Those are quite the lookers. More decorative than useful, I would assume.

I also discovered the Porsche hookah. Now that is a "modern" I would like, but freaking expensive.

[quote name='Nerdy' timestamp='1354433945' post='563576'][quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354414568' post='563546']

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

I just got home from celebrating with my fiancée, and the convo came up of what would i like as a "gift" she knew it was hookah related. But I mentioned that I would love to get a narwas spear. I find that pipe beautiful. I looked on marks site earlier today and I didn't see any as being available :-/

I plan on getting that within a couple months. I hope there is a stock up soon. I also hope that Syria gets their stuff together, scary shit going on there. [/quote]

The spear is actually available on 5StarHookah.com. Look under Syrian hookahs, it's the first one on the page, $199. Pricey for the base and hose it comes with, but the shank is amazing and will blow your mind. I will never let go of mine.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354435976' post='563583']
[quote name='Nerdy' timestamp='1354433945' post='563576'][quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354414568' post='563546']

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

I plan on getting that within a couple months. I hope there is a stock up soon. I also hope that Syria gets their stuff together, scary shit going on there. [/quote]

The spear is actually available on 5StarHookah.com. Look under Syrian hookahs, it's the first one on the page, $199. Pricey for the base and hose it comes with, but the shank is amazing and will blow your mind. I will never let go of mine.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

That is one gorgeous looking pipe/base combo. Do you know if they have a Christmas sale or something like that?? I'm not in a rush to buy one, then again don't want it going out of stock.

[quote name='Nerdy' timestamp='1354436415' post='563584'][quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354435976' post='563583']

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

That is one gorgeous looking pipe/base combo. Do you know if they have a Christmas sale or something like that?? I'm not in a rush to buy one, then again don't want it going out of stock.[/quote]

I doubt it. On a rare item like this, they won't be knocking it down any. He only has a handful, and once they're gone, they're gone (unless someone finds another hidden stash of them lol). Just look at how often you see people post that they have one. I'd go ahead and bite the bullet now if you really, really want it. I would have found a way to have paid $200 for mine had that been the only way to get it. These could possibly sell out by Christmas, so I'd get up on it. Alex at 5Star knows they'll all sell eventually because its a hot item.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone