Woohoo...random Information

agunn1231

Well. some of you know that i took up the carnivorous plant hobby last year. well, in that process i decided to see if i couldnt save an almost dead Nepenthes, well, i was able to revive it. it put out its first pitcher in january, and today i noticed its beginning to flower. from my understanding its hard to get these plants to flower, and some people have them for years without them ever flowering....just kinda excited ton see a flower starting on it
[img]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8628/nepflower.jpg[/img]

That's cool!

Side note... you now sounds like a James Bond Villain...Good Luck getting out of my Carnivorous Garden, Mr. Bond..... hahahahahaha

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1347248199' post='556077']
That's cool!

Side note... you now sounds like a James Bond Villain...Good Luck getting out of my Carnivorous Garden, Mr. Bond..... hahahahahaha
[/quote]
Lol This gave me a good laugh

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1347259032' post='556086']
SWEEET Alex!! :D
[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1347287594' post='556096']
Good for you. I know how tough it is to keep though things alive. I have been the inadvertent killer of a couple of Venus flytraps.
Ray
[/quote]

Thank you. it has gotten easier. i almost killed one of my hardyest plants last year, and killed a few others due to being too broke for the right kind of water. but stepped up my game this year and have kept my venus fly trap alive since last year, and 4 Nepenthes.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1347289406' post='556100']
Remind me to never visit you. I have a feeling you'd trap me in your house for forevers by using your carnivorous plants to hold me against my will... And forever serve you hot towels. :o

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]
and eternal room service...don't forget that

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1347313247' post='556130']
You didn't name it Audrey by any chance, did you? :lol:
[/quote]
lol no i didnt. but, that has been one of my favorite movies since i was really young. even got to see the play for my birthday once

My girlfriend's name is Audrey, but she's not like the one in the movie. Not yet anyway. :lol:

Congrats on getting that plant to bloom. You're not in a hospitable growing zone, so I'm assuming you have it inside or in a greenhouse?

its inside my apartment. i had a small greenhouse set up in my apartment for a while for other plants, but the one that flowered has always been sitting in my window.

I've never grown any of the carnivorous plants, but I think I may give it a try. Just need to find one big enough to eat the neighbor's dog. :lol:

Seriously, before I retire I plan to build a greenhouse. There's not enough room left in the house for another plant. It's full of peace lilies, arrowhead plants, devil's ivy, African violets, a Sago palm, Thanksgiving cacti, Christmas cacti, Mother-in-law's tongue, etc. etc.. I propagate a lot of plants to give other people. My next project is to propagate a pear tree that's over a hundred years old and still bearing fruit. It's been in the family for generations. The preserves made from its fruit are delicious.

sounds awesome. I would have to say if you are going to grow CP's look into finding a nepenthes. you can get small ones online and sometimes at ocal plant stores, but usually you will see bigger ones at plant stores. I was lucky enough to find a small one this year, so im gonna see how big it gets. When i decide to move i may try my hand a taking a cutting from one of my Nepenthes. I also have a venus fly trap, really resilliant plants if you know what to do to keep them alive...gotta use distilled or RO, or rain water. tap will kill them. At one point i had a VFT, 2 North American Pitcher Plants, 2 sundews, and 2 nepenthes. now both of those nepenthes have awesome basal growth, to there are 3 plants in two of my pots and two in the other. i ended up accidentally killing my other plants aside from the fly trap, but it wasnt a big loss to me. had no experience with them, had experience with VFT's from when i was younger. and im pleasantly surprised with how my neps are growing as this was my first time with them, yet they have always been my favorite typ of CP...probably because of pokemon (LOL). I also have a christmas cactus that has been in the family for about 40 years, my great aunt had it, then my aunt got it. and then a little piece fell off, and i took that and put it in some dirt and its growing like crazy.

We have pitcher plants growing wild in south Alabama, though I believe some are endangered. I know the Canebrake Pitcher Plant is. They're all Zone 8 and I'm in Zone 7, but I'm sure I could grow them with few problems. I like to stretch the zones a bit by planting things on the south side of the house in a protected area.

Two of the Thanksgiving Cactus that I gave my mother a few years ago bloomed in May of this year! They've always bloomed at Thanksgiving, but the weather has been so weird this year that everything is screwed up. I need to propagate some more -- usually do two dozen at a time and that way I always have plenty to give away.

When it comes to watering my indoor plants, I always get the chlorine out and let the water get to room temperature. It's not as easy as it used to be because most water systems are adding chloramine instead of plain chlorine to the water, and you have to use a chemical to get rid of it. If I were home more often, I'd definitely collect rain water.

[quote name='agunn1231' timestamp='1347247833' post='556075']
[u][b]Well. some of you know that i took up the carnivorous plant hobby last year.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

This is among the most bad ass combination of words ever.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1347854044' post='556512']
[quote name='agunn1231' timestamp='1347247833' post='556075']
[u][b]Well. some of you know that i took up the carnivorous plant hobby last year.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

This is among the most bad ass combination of words ever.
[/quote]
its a badass hobby

Well, it seems that all my plants are growing really well recently, and on an unrelated note i made progress with cycling my fish tank. And i may have a job. So all in all the last couple weeks have been AWESOME

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1348702777' post='557328']
title fits the post, though its off topic to original purpose:
just beat my minesweeper record, now at 112 seconds for expert field.
[/quote]
awesome. i havent ever been very good at that game