2 (Not At All) Important Announcements!

Bawhee

1. EVERYONE should watch the expendables 2 and like it. I honestly enjoyed watching this more than the new Batman. Took all the potential the first film had (but didnt use) and just went all out. Truly great.
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

This song is not only stupidly catchy but is also a pretty interesting social commentary... I doubt many of us know what Psy is even saying (aside from "Heeeeyyyy sexy lady!"), and even if you do know some Korean, it's hard to understand the implications unless you live there, it seems.

[url="http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/"]Anyway, just read this.[/url] There's also a translation available in there.

One good example of what I'm talking about, FTA for the lazier among us... ;)
[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]"[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia,] Psy boasts that he's a real man who drinks a whole cup of coffee in one gulp, for example, insisting he wants a women who drinks coffee... [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia,] 'In Korea, there's a joke poking fun at women who eat 2,000-won (about $2) ramen for lunch and then spend 6,000 won on Starbucks coffee.' They're called Doenjangnyeo, or 'soybean paste women' for their propensity to crimp on essentials so they can over-spend on conspicuous luxuries, of which coffee is, believe it or not, one of the most common."[/font][/color]
[color=#000000]Basically it's about wanting luxury/material goods to the extent of harming other portions of your life (i.e. credit crisis).[/color]

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1346955893' post='555905']
I can't bring myself to see Expendables 2... Not since watching the first one.
[/quote]
Same, the first one was so horrible that I can't bring myself to even think about renting the movie when it comes out on dvd.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1346972776' post='555915']
Open condom style!

Good luck hearing anything else in the chorus now.
[/quote]

Thanks, Jay....now i love this song even more. Can't stop laughing now!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of Gangnam Style since whoever showed it on TC!

[/quote]
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1346981440' post='555922']
[/quote]
Same, the first one was so horrible that I can't bring myself to even think about renting the movie when it comes out on dvd.
[/quote]

[img]http://officialmancard.com/omc/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/revoked_card.jpg[/img]
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1346991037' post='555935']
Can't get enough of Gangnam Style since whoever showed it on TC!

[/quote]
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1346981440' post='555922']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[img]http://officialmancard.com/omc/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/revoked_card.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Dude! Don't get me wrong, the explosions were cool and all... but it just lacked a good story. I was super pumped for it originally. Friends have told me the second one is much better, so maybe I will watch it. We'll see.

EDIT: And yeah, Jay made the song even funnier now! :lol:

You don't watch the Expendables for story. I didn't expect a story with Shoot 'Em Up either. Love the fact the Clive Owen only reloads twice in the whole movie!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1346962727' post='555910']
This song is not only stupidly catchy but is also a pretty interesting social commentary... I doubt many of us know what Psy is even saying (aside from "Heeeeyyyy sexy lady!"), and even if you do know some Korean, it's hard to understand the implications unless you live there, it seems.

[url="http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/"]Anyway, just read this.[/url] There's also a translation available in there.

One good example of what I'm talking about, FTA for the lazier among us... ;)
[color=#000000][font=Georgia,]"[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia,] Psy boasts that he's a real man who drinks a whole cup of coffee in one gulp, for example, insisting he wants a women who drinks coffee... [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia,] 'In Korea, there's a joke poking fun at women who eat 2,000-won (about $2) ramen for lunch and then spend 6,000 won on Starbucks coffee.' They're called Doenjangnyeo, or 'soybean paste women' for their propensity to crimp on essentials so they can over-spend on conspicuous luxuries, of which coffee is, believe it or not, one of the most common."[/font][/color]
[color=#000000]Basically it's about wanting luxury/material goods to the extent of harming other portions of your life (i.e. credit crisis).[/color]
[/quote]

Apparently PSY is a graciously educated music industry professional who studied in huge music colleges in the USA, so it would make sense for him to be the type of person interested in making subtle claims like these.

Although, after reading the English lyrics and the website linked, I fail to see much of the wealth commentary discussed. As far as I noticed, there was a little self-deprecating humor, and PSY announcing his love of rich girls.