Band Geeks

headhunter

Im just curious to see if there are any other people that are or at one point were the "band geek". I only as because i just graduated from hs a month or so ago and today was the last time ill ever march with the band. Just makes me think how much im going to miss all of it. The sense of Brotherhood, the friends and most of all the music. So other than my original question lets make this a general Band thread, anything to do with it talk about it lol.

To start off im thinking about doing the DCI, to continue my band geek status, most likely with the Phantom Regiment out of Rockford here in ill.

[url="http://www.regiment.org/"]http://www.regiment.org/[/url]

Trumpet. I missed the brotherhood also. But our Director killed me on the trumpet. Never picked it up again after graduation.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1340732989' post='550097']
Trumpet. I missed the brotherhood also. But our Director killed me on the trumpet. Never picked it up again after graduation.
[/quote]

i can understand this, it really depends on your director and if you continue or not. and i am sorry that his actions caused you to no longer continue with the music. But i understand the brotherhood is a major loss.

My brother was a band-o, not really a geek I guess.

Not sure how he feels, but I haven't seen him pick up that clarinet in years. He's more into fitness stuff and making dollar bills these days.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1340746622' post='550114']
Oh I still play bass guitar, starting to learn how to play the mandolin.
[/quote]
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1340756269' post='550123']

Not sure how he feels, but I haven't seen him pick up that clarinet in years. He's more into fitness stuff and making dollar bills these days.
[/quote]

Mandolin huh? jeez quite a jump from bass huh? lol and yes well thats what happens to most, i am though determined to continue with music and make it a part of my life for the rest of my life since...well i love music in almost all forms (rap and country music are the only two i can not stand lol)

I played trumpet in junior high. Then I dropped out of public school and did high school through a private/home school program. My dad used to be the high school band director at the high school in our hometown. He quit due to BS from the new superintendent (the guy wanted him to "dumb down" the band because people were coming to the football games for the band and not the football team anymore, and discouraged him from doing fundraisers for the band), and the new band director was a piece of shit. When my dad was there, there were more than 100 kids in band. Now there's not even half that. What a shame. I'm glad I dropped out and wasn't a part of that. If my dad had still been there, I would've been more inclined to stay, and would have continued on playing trumpet through high school. Either way, my dad could play all the instruments he taught, but his focus was trumpet. My bro plays bass guitar and played bassoon when he was in school. My mom played clarinet and was the music teacher for 3rd and 4th grade (sucks having your mom as a teacher). So yeah... music was in my family a lot, but not so much these days...

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1340760963' post='550132']
I played trumpet in junior high. Then I dropped out of public school and did high school through a private/home school program. My dad used to be the high school band director at the high school in our hometown. He quit due to BS from the new superintendent (the guy wanted him to "dumb down" the band because people were coming to the football games for the band and not the football team anymore, and discouraged him from doing fundraisers for the band), and the new band director was a piece of shit. When my dad was there, there were more than 100 kids in band. Now there's not even half that. What a shame. I'm glad I dropped out and wasn't a part of that. If my dad had still been there, I would've been more inclined to stay, and would have continued on playing trumpet through high school. Either way, my dad could play all the instruments he taught, but his focus was trumpet. My bro plays bass guitar and played bassoon when he was in school. My mom played clarinet and was the music teacher for 3rd and 4th grade (sucks having your mom as a teacher). So yeah... music was in my family a lot, but not so much these days...
[/quote]
[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1340762773' post='550133']
All I can play is the radio. :(
[/quote]

Chreees: i am truly sorry to hear that, its sad to see a band go down hill because it was drawing more attention than the Football team. Makes me sick that an accomplishment like that (which is harder than hitting eachother in pads) was beat down for some dumb as fuck reason. On the up side though congratulate your father for me, it might be weird from someone he doesnt even know but im glad someone somewhere at one point gave more towards music and musicianship, compared to the norm now and days which is all about a Homoerotic sport and massive shows of Manlyness.

Gramps: lol and thats ok, not everyone got to learn how to play an instrument of some sort. Im just glad that u listen to music in general and (no offense ment) most likely to bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Rush and other awesome older bands that teens today (i can say this only because i too love this music, but also love the music currently released) find completely revolting.

Mandolin, bass, and violin are not that distant of cousins. I have the "family" violin, about 150 years in the family. Got it from my grandmother (who got me to love the instrument) who also played mandolin and told me the fingerings were similar.

I was in HS band for 4 years, drum line. Now, I'm going to be the first to admit I'm chronically "white" (BF will sometimes say to me when I'm working out a coreography, "god you're white"). So I'd start the season in the snare line and be forced into the cymbal line (those things were HUGE, who needs weights???). When I got into bellydance, being I have such a lack of rhythm, I'd do a lot of counting. One of my tribemates watched me and said, "You were in band, right???" LOL But those years in Band did help, though the cymbals I play now are much much smaller.

Oh, our HS marching band was HUGE. And our football team was pretty bad. However, we didn't get flack for it, not that Doc would let some pissant administrator tell him how to run his music program.

BF on the other hand - his father was composer for the Army Chorus, still teaches at Duquesne, and if you ever played "American Overture" that's his. BF was a music major so he helps me out with my dance. Edited by atalanta

Erica used to a be a band geek and all our friends here, i never was i play the guitar and thats about it.

but she used to play for Riverside community college, which is a VERY big music school, i know they play all over the world and smash people. they were in london last year for the new years parade, in paris 2 years before that in japan, Australia. and the murder people in competitions all over the US.

but since all that she has played the clarinet twice sinve we have been together, and the trumpet once. but shes an amazing musician, she can play everything if she really wants to actully do it, but she critics her self so much that she hates it.

I was a band parent. Two children were in the band; each marched for six years. I worked countless shifts in the concession stand and at countless fund raising functions (the BBQ chicken was my favorite). My daughter played clarinet and my son played saxophone. The people at the music store knew me by name because I was always buying reeds. :D

Neither one marched in college, though my son got his degree in commercial music. He plays guitar now and works as an IT geek for a hospital. He even built his own tube amp - sounds awesome.

My brother's two daughters were also in their high school band, and he has no musical talent. In other words, talent just skipped our generation.

But I love music! Everything from classical to big band to 50's rock to bluegrass to today's rock. It's all good.

Man gramps sound like a busy couple of years! I can't wait for that ;) my mom did all that stuff for me during baseball traveling the US with me and doing the same with my brother during his BMX racing. We both did two things to travel the states and she was a epic single parent!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zxg4oq

indeed lol thats why band involves everyone, not just the kids but the parents too. and HOPEFULLY the Community (but in my home town the Football team take prescience :/). Also Pavo thats really cool that erica was that deep into it, i hopefully plan to do the same thing and keep it going...again hopefully cuz idk what the future brings lol

i did marching band in highschool and now am a performance major at UMiami on bassoon.

i thought of doing dci since i played baritone, but didn't want to march anymore. my high school won a bunch of competitions and went to a few BOA comps while i was there

[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1340759653' post='550129']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mandolin huh? jeez quite a jump from bass huh? lol and yes well thats what happens to most, i am though determined to continue with music and make it a part of my life for the rest of my life since...well i love music in almost all forms (rap and country music are the only two i can not stand lol)
[/quote]

Well I bought one for because my wife to learn, but she has never picked it up, so now I am going to. I like to play instruments everyone doesn't play... Guitar is so cliche.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1341505890' post='550877']
[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1340759653' post='550129']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I bought one for because my wife to learn, but she has never picked it up, so now I am going to. I like to play instruments everyone doesn't play... Guitar is so cliche.
[/quote]

In not....ok maybe a little but that just means you have to get good and add your own touches to songs and write your own. Hell its also just a great way to de-stress in my opinion lets me think about nothing but the music and what im trying to learn.