Okay, so I am tired of buying 50gm boxes of AF, as all I can get here is either a 50gm box or a kilo tub. No 250gm ones. :( Once opened, they get soggy, messy and the tobacco loses it's life quickly!

So from now on, I am going to be buying kilo tubs of my regular smokes, and a few 50gms of the flavours I want to try.

My question is if those tubs are airtight? I mean, is the packaging good enough for me to store the tobacco in the tubs themselves once I've opened the packet inside? (Don't know if the packets are resealable either?).

Thanks. :)

On an unrelated note - While looking for the answers to the question above, I found out about AF Ark Sous, and I've never seen it. Does anyone happen to know if they still make it? Edited by vendetta_revived

The 250s are good enough for storage, I would assume that it would be the same with the kilo containers, the 250 ones can be shaken etc. with no spillage or anything so you know, pretty decent containers.

Yep, thats my name :P The 250g ones seem to hold flavor pretty great (I do smoke a lot so I use up one tub rather fast but still. Also, have you thought about getting a tuppoerware and just moving the tobacco from the sealed bag to the tupperware (when tupperware runs out just add in new tobacco from the bag). That should be pretty simple and should work imo

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1331305729' post='541920']
Yep, thats my name :P The 250g ones seem to hold flavor pretty great (I do smoke a lot so I use up one tub rather fast but still. Also, have you thought about getting a tuppoerware and just moving the tobacco from the sealed bag to the tupperware (when tupperware runs out just add in new tobacco from the bag). That should be pretty simple and should work imo
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, I have thought about this, but the reason for my question is that I've seen several users state that the flavour in a 50gm packet is just not as good as you get from a 250gm one, and I am talking about a freshly opened 50gm packet, so even if I am to take that route of buying 5x50gm packets and putting it in a tupperware, the result would be me having 250gm of tobacco which doesn't have flavouring as strong as a single 250gm packet.

This of course being based on the hypothesis that a 50gm packet of AF mint is a fail when compared to a 250gm tub of the same tobacco.

A kilo works good. In my experience a kilo of mint and peach smokes just as well as if you bought the 250g packets. I don't like the 50g packets unless I'm picking something up to smoke on the fly. But, in your case at least, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

The tubs (250's at least) also come with resealable bags inside the tubs so you have extra protection. Not that I actually use the bag, because it's just too much to deal with a rather stiff plastic bag smeared with flavoring if you ask me, but they're there. I've kept open AF up to a year or so in the tubs with no flavor loss that I can tell.

'Rani

The kilo tubs come with the same resealable bags inside as the 250g tubs have. What I would do is get yourself a tupperware container and move the resealable bag from the AF tub to the container, no worries about freshness if you do that.

Resealable bags similar to fumari for anything larger than a 250g.
Also Af makes 500g too if im not mistaken. Edited by S3cretz

Buy a couple of these: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1780-glass-shisha-storage-jar.html

I bought three, altogether they hold ~600g of shisha (or any other substance). They provide a perfect seal, and make you look professional lol :)

Thanks guys! I think I will do what Mark suggested and move the resealable bag to a tupperware container. I think I am also gonna buy a small resealable packet, put a small amount of tobacco in it, and leave it in the tub. That way I will be able to see if it loses any flavour when stored in it's original packaging. :)

Btw, anyone knows anything about AF Ark Sous? Edited by vendetta_revived

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1331388481' post='542035']
Thanks guys! I think I will do what Mark suggested and move the resealable bag to a tupperware container. I think I am also gonna buy a small resealable packet, put a small amount of tobacco in it, and leave it in the tub. That way I will be able to see if it loses any flavour when stored in it's original packaging. :)

Btw, anyone knows anything about AF Ark Sous?
[/quote]
Ark sous was Licorice's predecessor was a million times better too. As far as I know its out of production

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1331394302' post='542049']

[/quote]
Ark sous was Licorice's predecessor was a million times better too. As far as I know its out of production
[/quote]

God damnit! They craptified their grape tobacco and replaced Ark sous with the licorice they sell now? That stuff is god awful! Of course, I've never tried Ark Sous, but the little amount of information I was able to find on it said that it was a VERY different tasting licorice, and tasted like the root, not the candy...very mild, and very awesome!

I’ll fire off a critical e-mail to the manufacturer.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1331398530' post='542051']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1331394302' post='542049']

[/quote]
[/quote]

God damnit! They craptified their grape tobacco and replaced Ark sous with the licorice they sell now? That stuff is god awful! Of course, I've never tried Ark Sous, but the little amount of information I was able to find on it said that it was a VERY different tasting licorice, and tasted like the root, not the candy...very mild, and very awesome!

I’ll fire off a critical e-mail to the manufacturer.
[/quote]

good luck, its definitely a flavor I have never seen..but I don't smoke AF all that often.

[quote name='Quizit' timestamp='1331321725' post='541945']
Buy a couple of these: [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1780-glass-shisha-storage-jar.html"]http://www.hookah-sh...torage-jar.html[/url]

I bought three, altogether they hold ~600g of shisha (or any other substance). They provide a perfect seal, and make you look professional lol :)
[/quote]
Those are mighty expensive jars. You can usually buy 16 oz apothecary jars w/airtight lids for around $25 or $30 a dozen.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Majid' timestamp='1331440753' post='542158']
With kilos i divide them up in 3 or 4 air tight containers. That way you do not open up the whole kilo every time you fill a bowl and it stays fresher.
[/quote]

That's a good idea, but isn't there a chance of dividing the juices unevenly between those portions? And thus having a container which has really juicy tobacco, and another one that is comparatively drier?

I am asking because I just bought my first kilo tub, and while it was brilliantly packed to begin with, I am not sure it's airtight once it's opened. Neither the resealable bag, nor the tub itself look airtight to me.