Looking To Buy A Gaming Desktop. Suggestions?

vendetta_revived

I know there is already a topic going about this, but didn't want to hijack it. Also, most people don't look in the threads they have already replied to, so I am starting a new one. :) And may be, the OP of the other thread may get some good suggestions out of this one too.

I currently use :
[list]
[*]Acer AO751H netbook with an atom processor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 225GB HDD - For net surfing.
[*]Dell Vostro Laptop with 500GB HDD, i5, 4GB RAM - For programming needs.
[*]An ancient desktop with pentium 4, 80GB HDD (I know, ancient.).
[/list]
I am retiring the desktop since I no longer use it and it's collecting dust in my room.

I want to get a Windows based Gaming desktop, and kind of need suggestions for the specs. And though budget is an non-issue, I don't want to go overboard and get myself a super computer (I am looking at you Stuie. :P), but I also don't want to get something that will be obsolete soon.

So if you have any suggestions, I'd be more than grateful!

here is a list of the top 10 2011 model gaming rigs with specs you can use them if you want to do the build yourself or you can get one of these beast
[url="http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/"]http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/[/url]

[quote name='Trini' timestamp='1315926182' post='523659']
here is a list of the top 10 2011 model gaming rigs with specs you can use them if you want to do the build yourself or you can get one of these beast
[url="http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/"]http://computers.top...ews.com/gaming/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. They are not vary varied though, all of them are using i7 processor (and hence DD3 RAM), and most are using Nvidia GTX video card, and while that's not a bad thing, I am looking to find out how different people who do game have put together their rigs.

I am also confused about getting i7 or an AMD x6 (still researching before making the call).

The link you have posted does use a variety of mobos though, so I am gonna look into all those and how compatible they are with what they are using. Thanks!

Here's what I am going to build in the next couple months for gaming -[list]
[*]Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
[*]Z68 Mobo, USB 3.0 mobo
[*]SLI GTX 560 Ti
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 @ 1.5v
[*]3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB in RAID 5
[*]whatever else, maybe an SSD for the OS
[/list]
The Intel Sandy Bridge chip is the only way to go right now. The choice is between the 2500k and the 2600k. I don't need uber encoding and transcoding, so I'm going with the 2500k. The successor to Sandy Bridge is Ivy Bridge. It is due to be released Q1 2012. The good news is that it will use the same socket, LGA 1155, as Sandy Bridge, so the motherboard won't become immediately obsolete.

The main decision is between video cards. Traditionally the best and most powerful video card is not the best for the buck. The $250-300 cards usually have the best performance to price ratio. I'm a Nvidia guy myself because ATI drivers have pissed me off to no end.

i'm looking to build a new PC once D3 comes out too...i'll just copy whatever John does, but get a processor and video card(s) :P

....and a lot less storage. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Click' timestamp='1315937876' post='523688']
Here's what I am going to build in the next couple months for gaming -[list]
[*]Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
[*]Z68 Mobo, USB 3.0 mobo
[*]SLI GTX 560 Ti
[*]Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 @ 1.5v
[*]3 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB in RAID 5
[*]whatever else, maybe an SSD for the OS
[/list]
The Intel Sandy Bridge chip is the only way to go right now. The choice is between the 2500k and the 2600k. I don't need uber encoding and transcoding, so I'm going with the 2500k. The successor to Sandy Bridge is Ivy Bridge. It is due to be released Q1 2012. The good news is that it will use the same socket, LGA 1155, as Sandy Bridge, so the motherboard won't become immediately obsolete.

The main decision is between video cards. Traditionally the best and most powerful video card is not the best for the buck. The $250-300 cards usually have the best performance to price ratio. I'm a Nvidia guy myself because ATI drivers have pissed me off to no end.
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks! :) You have any info on the Amd x6? The reason I ask is that when I said that the budget is a non issue, it was because I thought I will get that. It has 6 cores and costs a lot less than an i5?

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315945295' post='523700']
i'm looking to build a new PC once D3 comes out too...i'll just copy whatever John does, but get a processor and video card(s) :P

....and a lot less storage.
[/quote]that was supposed to read "a better processor"

yep, i'm bored...

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1316024767' post='523860']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315945295' post='523700']

....and a lot less storage.
[/quote]that was supposed to read "a better processor"

yep, i'm bored...
[/quote]

AKA the 2600k? Or wait for Ivy Bridge?

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1316000814' post='523790']

Awesome! Thanks! :) You have any info on the Amd x6? The reason I ask is that when I said that the budget is a non issue, it was because I thought I will get that. It has 6 cores and costs a lot less than an i5?
[/quote]

The fastest x6 is still slower than the 2500k despite having the two extra cores. [url="http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288"]http://www.anandtech...duct/203?vs=288[/url]
But, you will save $30-40 bucks going with the x6. I've just turned my head away from AMD in recent years as Intel has produced consistently better products. AMD does have its new line, Bulldozer, coming out in the next couple months. It is a complete redesign for AMD and looks promising. AMD is looking to compete not just on price, but also on performance.

i can tell ya im using an alienware m17xr3, nice rig, has the intel i7-2630QM Cpu @ 2.00 GHz (quad core all at 2.00ghz), 16gb ram, 64 bit windows 7 os, nvidia geforce gtx 460m (not the best but does the job for the games im playing, and still no lagg on newer games)

like i said tho mine isnt the best they have available but for the price i paid i also got what i wanted(paid around 2300 usd), also my rig is 3d capable, just need the glasses (and new monitor i think)

now i know everyone says "dude you got a dell!" but just remember its still an alienware, there customer service and tech help is all alienware.

Now im not suggesting that THIS IS THE RIG FOR YOU!, by no means, im just saying alienware has a great customization system on there site, and its a helpfull tool to "build your own", after you have the rig of your dreams built just go to some other store (newegg, fry's, ect ect....) and just get the same parts and peice it together your self, you might not haave the fancy alien head on the case but the rig will be just as good

• 2 weeks later...
I built a new one in January. Building your own will save you some money and Newegg is a great website. Just know that if your at college or a different address then what you car is under you have to call your bank and add the other address before they accept payment... Also from personal experience I would stay away from Rosewill products.

I would say you can get build yourself a good gaming pc. When you find products you are willing to buy, read up on some pc site reviews, some products have great performance out the gate but break sooner then you would have thought( The problem I had with a bio-star mobo)