Tooth Extractions And Hookah

First, off topic, but necessary: This is my first hookah post in a long time and that's very weird.

On topic: tooth extractions and hookah.

I recently had a minor oral surgery done where I had to get my back top left molar extracted, my gums cut open so they could take out some infection, and they drilled from my tooth socket to my sinus cavity where the infection spread. This happened because when I was 16 I was in my friend's car and we got rear ended, I slammed my teeth together very hard and my molar split like this [| |] eventually I had it sealed up and it didn't bother me for many years...until about a month ago to be exact. I guess the sealent wore off or something because I woke up and my tooth was bothering me, didn't think anything of it so I took some advil and it was behind me. It got progressivly worse. Eventually it got so bad when I would take a breath through my mouth I felt like I had a chainsaw in my tooth so I finally made the appointment to have it extracted.

Now that it's been done I've been going through the "normal" healing motions... I had the tooth taken out on Thursday around 11:30 AM. It is now Saturday almost 7 PM. The first night I didn't do much of anything except take the viccodin I was given every 5-6 hours and slept a lot. Didn't eat anything. Slept on a towel so that my blood-droll wouldn't ruin my sheets. Woke up Friday around 12, already had a blood clot formed. Didn't feel like eating so I didn't, took more pain killers, slept on and off all day, finally had some pudding around 10 PM friday night. Managed half a can of ravioli around 2 AM. More meds, more sleep.

Today I woke up around noon. The last pain pill I took was around 4 AM and since I was starving at this point, I heated up 2 cans of ravioli. Was able to eat them both without any pain or soreness so I washed my mouth out with some warm salt-water and took one last viccodin just to make sure, took a small nap. I woke up at 6 and man...the only thing I want is a hookah. I texted my best friend's mom a lot because she's a dental hygenist and she actually made me text her a picture of my blood clot lol but she said that even though it usually isn't advised for people to smoke before 4 days after an extraction, that because i didn't eat much (to cause a disturbance in the healing process) and slept so much (allows healing to take place peacefully) that I should be okay to smoke hookah tonight if the draw is very easy.

Now the question is, what should I do for the easiest draw and most enjoyable session? Unlike most people I actually enjoy a medium to strong draw on my hookah for some reason so I don't really know how to make a good AND easy draw hookah. I have many bowl options:

Phunnel
Vortex
Crown (holes on outside rim)
Egyptian male
Egyptian female
Fruit bowl (orange, pineapple, mango, baby watermelon)
Mod bowl
Some weird bowl that looks like an Egyptian but only has one big hole on the bottom middle, like a phunnel without a stem

Which one do you think would provide the easiest pull?

Also, I know water-level has a lot to do with the pull, standard water level is 1 1/4 submerged , I usually do 1 1/2 for the pull power, but would making it less be bad? Like maybe only 3/4 inch? Is that too little to make the filtration work?

Finally, what should I smoke? If I use the cafe's DA blend (Nak and AF) and pop 2 coals on, it usually hits fairly easy...but I'm not sure I want to smoke a strong flavor like DA....not really a mint fan unless I'm craving it so...

At the moment I'm thinking using my med phunnel with some orange from Saudi my roommate got me, using my v4 narb and santino hose tip with 3 coconaras....water only 3/4 submerged. Sound legit?

Sorry if I'm rambling, I still have pain killers in my system lol

I think its different for everyone, is smoking really worth that much to you, a friend had complications for smoking and it turned into this huge issue and took much longer to heal.

As far as submerging it, I do not know how much of an impact that is going to make. It seems like the draw is reduced by water tension on the surface and once that breaks depth really has no affect on it.

I would go with a phunnel bowl, I always seem to be able to get good airflow and you don't have to worry about the hole being clogged. Poking a hole in the center will probably help.

I would also advise not smoking for too long as the nicotine, lack of food, and painkillers can result and nausea, and its no fun to vomit with the surgery so recent.

I smoked the night after having my four wisdom teeth removed and had no issues.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1314488569' post='521631']
just smoke like you normally would. While i've never had the hole drilled into my sinuses ive had several teeth extracted recently and I actually smoked the next day.
[/quote]

Same, I just didn't make a complete seal on the hose so that there is minimal pressure.

I'd say it would be ok to smoke normally to an extent but be careful though because not only a tooth was extracted but your sinuses have been 'excavated' in to as well. And they are generally sensitive if they have had surgery, infections and the like. Edited by Satou

Back with all blood clots still intact, did a nice warm salt water rinse afterwards just incase and everything seems to be fine. I went with an egyptian bowl, for some reason I feel like the phunnel has a slightly tougher initial pull since I don't put holes over the center tower but everything seems to be legit. Kind of want to smoke another bowl to make up for lost time lol but I guess I'll take it easy after having surgery and all. I only did one round of coals though, don't want to over-do it too soon, as mentioned sinuses are prone to infection after having been rattled around in

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1314511740' post='521658']
Back with all blood clots still intact, did a nice warm salt water rinse afterwards just incase and everything seems to be fine. I went with an egyptian bowl, for some reason I feel like the phunnel has a slightly tougher initial pull since I don't put holes over the center tower but everything seems to be legit. Kind of want to smoke another bowl to make up for lost time lol but I guess I'll take it easy after having surgery and all. I only did one round of coals though, don't want to over-do it too soon, as mentioned sinuses are prone to infection after having been rattled around in
[/quote]

Not sure if you have tried it, but I would recommend a nasal irrigation system (neti pot) especially if you have been prone to sinus problems. It has worked wonders for me and still something I use regularly.

You're not supposed to drink from a straw as the clot forms, usually it takes ~48 hours in the mouth since it's a wet area. I got a green light from a dental hygenist before I did so and would not reccomend anyone to do it without checking in first.

Yeah I am a wuss. Had all four wisdom teeth out. A few pulls on a straw for a milk shake and realized crap, better stop... 2 dry sockets later. I wouldn't risk it. But that me... because the medicine...12 years later I can still vividly remember the awfulness of that taste.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1314824947' post='522077']
Yeah I am a wuss. Had all four wisdom teeth out. A few pulls on a straw for a milk shake and realized crap, better stop... 2 dry sockets later. I wouldn't risk it. But that me... because the medicine...12 years later I can still vividly remember the awfulness of that taste.
[/quote]

I'm with you, Stuie. If I had been smoking when I got my wisdom teeth out, I would've waited a FEW weeks before smoking again. Just not worth the risk.

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1314887673' post='522189']
oh god you guys. All 4 of my wisdom teeth are acting up <.< Tho it seems as if they have enough room to just grow out and be there and not bother me Im worried that they might now lol.
[/quote]

Most people it ends up becoming an issue at some point or another. One guy I know had his wisdom teeth fully grown for a good 5 years but he started getting infections in his mouth and his leg started acting up with this horrible pain. Turns out it was all due to his wisdom teeth. Had him yanked out, no more problems.

The case with mine was one dentist I was going to said, "Oh no, you'll be fine, you have plenty of room for them to come in and they won't need to be taken out." I switched dentists due to changing of my parents' insurance. The new dentist said, "Uhh, you do know your teeth are all being pushed toward your midline because of your wisdom teeth coming in, right?" I told him, "Well, that would explain why my teeth have been hurting lately." Got them out and had braces for a year to get my teeth back straight. That's right, thank the braces for getting my TEEF back PERFECT like they should be. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1314887673' post='522189']
oh god you guys. All 4 of my wisdom teeth are acting up <.< Tho it seems as if they have enough room to just grow out and be there and not bother me Im worried that they might now lol.
[/quote]

All 4 of mine where coming in sideways. Wasn't that bad really. Surgery was quick and painless. I got dry sockets which sucks, but other than that. All in all I was kind of down for about a week before I was eating normal and feeling fine.