Tangiers Question.

Okay, so I received my crown micro phunnel today, and even though I didn't want to smoke from it for some reason I don't want to mention, I couldn't resist.

I had a packet of tangiers Kashmir guava that smells heavenly! And I stirred it up and packed it and smoking it currently! Now, I acclimated it in the same room I was smoking in, but had a fan on at the time, but I usually turn the fan off because I like to do smoke rings.

I am getting big clouds but absolutely no flavour out of this, so I want to ask, does it make a difference if I keep the fan on while I am acclimating and turn it off when I smoke it? Like, does it somehow change the humidity or something?

It could very well be my packing technique but I am fairly sure I got it pretty good, but now how would I know it? I am a noob at tangiers. I remember reading about the fan thing somewhere but I can't find it for the life of me, so please tangiers experts! Shed some light on it!!

Thanks. :)

And I'd like to add. The smoke is good...it's not harsh at all! I used 2 halves of a coal on it on the very edge of the bowl, and what surprises me the most is that I am not even getting that famous hand shaking Noir buzz either! And I am a mostly AF smoker and sometimes I get buzzed from that too! :( Edited by vendetta_revived

For the Micro phunnel I pack the Freaking crap out of it for Tangiers. I mean super tight. That's what I would suggest.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1311952709' post='517620']
For the Micro phunnel I pack the Freaking crap out of it for Tangiers. I mean super tight. That's what I would suggest.
[/quote]

That's how I packed it! Oh hell, I guess I can't expect to master it on my first try. Tonight I'll either be smoking mint, or eskarandani apple because today is the first time I was able to get that apple flavour here and I can barely wait for my smoking time! But tomorrow I will try again and pack it damn damn tight!

I am the last one to blame shisha, and tangiers especially since so many people swear by it, And I acclimated it for 2 hours only, though it smells so soo good! And I figured it's done, since I've read that it's good to go once it smells so awesome.

The Micro is the only bowl I pack the crap out of because it's such a small area and a lot of glass around it heating up.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1311954368' post='517622']
The Micro is the only bowl I pack the crap out of because it's such a small area and a lot of glass around it heating up.
[/quote]

Do you mean you smash it in there to the point the juices start to squeeze out of the tobacco? Also, how full do you pack it?

well if you use ice water that will cut down on the flavor...but not make it disappear. if your an avid smoker i think you nicotine tolerance will be high. If there isn't that tickle when your smoking the means its pretty well acclimated. thus flavor should be good.i remember guava was a light taste.. kashmir would be the stronger one. maybe try a windcover for a bit see if that give more flavor without becoming more harsh.(of course depending on the sizes of those half coal.

[quote name='Plex' timestamp='1311959882' post='517631']
[/quote]

Do you mean you smash it in there to the point the juices start to squeeze out of the tobacco? [b]Also, how full do you pack it[/b]?
[/quote]

Stuff it! As much as the bowl will hold, and push it down hard several times.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1311961712' post='517632']
well if you use ice water that will cut down on the flavor...but not make it disappear. if your an avid smoker i think you nicotine tolerance will be high. If there isn't that tickle when your smoking the means its pretty well acclimated. thus flavor should be good.i remember guava was a light taste.. kashmir would be the stronger one. maybe try a windcover for a bit see if that give more flavor without becoming more harsh.(of course depending on the sizes of those half coal.
[/quote]

Yeah I don't know about my nicotine tolerance, I don't smoke any cigarettes and I am an AF exclusive smoker considering that's the only good tobacco I get locally, and I've heard stories about even cigarette smokers getting smacked in the face with noir buzz. Add to that that the kashmir flavours are more buzzy than most, and you've got yourself a riddle. :(

And there is no tickle, no harsness, no wispy smoke! Big ass clouds with no flavour, or a molasses flavour if you will. I know about ice water killing the flavour so I always use only room temperature water. :) Gonna try lukewarm water tomorrow though.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1311961878' post='517633']
big clouds, no flavor mostly means too much heat.

[/quote]

I am using 2 halves of one coal man. :blink: And it can't be too much heat, I mean I wasn't even getting any smoke like 10 mins into the session, and only got good clouds when I added windcover!

I am gonna try warm water + super super tight packing.

In my experience, a fan being on hasn't made a negative effect on acclimation. And I have three fans on and off all the time in my small one-bedroom apartment. I believe it's your packing or heat management.

First, they're giving you good advice, so listen to what they're saying. I say that because it's commonly happened that when you see Tangiers being smoked correctly, you think it couldn't possibly be working. Looks like you'd be crazy or delusional to be packing that tight with so damned little heat, but honestly that's just how it works. If it's not packed as densely as when it was in the package before you opened it, it's not tight enough. And if your coals aren't tiny little bits, like one coconut coal split into 4 pieces, it's too much heat. (Different coals give off different levels of heat.)

Seriously, unless you're thinking people are seriously trying to make you try something that you think couldn't logically work, it's not done correctly for Tangiers. Honest.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1311976605' post='517679']
First, they're giving you good advice, so listen to what they're saying. I say that because it's commonly happened that when you see Tangiers being smoked correctly, you think it couldn't possibly be working. Looks like you'd be crazy or delusional to be packing that tight with so damned little heat, but honestly that's just how it works. If it's not packed as densely as when it was in the package before you opened it, it's not tight enough. And if your coals aren't tiny little bits, like one coconut coal split into 4 pieces, it's too much heat. (Different coals give off different levels of heat.)

Seriously, unless you're thinking people are seriously trying to make you try something that you think couldn't logically work, it's not done correctly for Tangiers. Honest.

'Rani
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. :) I never said that people are giving me wrong advice anywhere, I even said that it could be my packing technique since this is my first order and only the kings of kings can tame this beast in their first attempt. I was just curious about the fan thing, I think if I remember it correctly, I read something in the Q&A posted by Eric himself, oh imma gonna look for it! :D

I just packed another bowl (and god! it's 3:30 in the morning here, but it's weekend and I am a bad case of insomnia), and I cleaned my hookah and hose before doing it, and honestly, I think I packed it even tighter than it was in the packet. :D I am using 2 halves of a single coal, and my coals are low heat compared to cocos. Let's see how it goes! *fingers crossed*

And this is the only place I ever ask for advice btw. :) I never doubt the advice given here.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311977009' post='517681']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1311976605' post='517679']

'Rani
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. :) I never said that people are giving me wrong advice anywhere, I even said that it could be my packing technique since this is my first order and only the kings of kings can tame this beast in their first attempt. I was just curious about the fan thing, I think if I remember it correctly, I read something in the Q&A posted by Eric himself, oh imma gonna look for it! :D

I just packed another bowl (and god! it's 3:30 in the morning here, but it's weekend and I am a bad case of insomnia), and I cleaned my hookah and hose before doing it, and honestly, I think I packed it even tighter than it was in the packet. :D I am using 2 halves of a single coal, and my coals are low heat compared to cocos. Let's see how it goes! *fingers crossed*

And this is the only place I ever ask for advice btw. :) I never doubt the advice given here.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply you did. It's one of those things though where time after time we've heard it can't bloody work, and really for any other shisha it wouldn't. So what I was trying to say is that you'll know you hit the right method when you're absolutely sure it won't work but like a miracle it just does. People don't realize how far towards the seemingly impossible it needs to be.

'Rani

I'm relatively new to hookah smoking, been at it 2 months. But in this time I've lurked this website for half of my smoking time to get advice and learn. GOtten alot of good advice here, But i see all the rave is about Tangiers. Honestly it lookslike an overwhelming pain in the ass to deal with it. Or am I just getting the wrong vibe from the Tangiers community? Seems if something can go wrong with it, it usually does. Please, Correct me if I am wrong. I'm still learning here (And not meaning to hi-jack your thread either, I'm also wanting to know about acclimation and all that)

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1311995463' post='517725']
I'm relatively new to hookah smoking, been at it 2 months. But in this time I've lurked this website for half of my smoking time to get advice and learn. GOtten alot of good advice here, But i see all the rave is about Tangiers. Honestly it lookslike an overwhelming pain in the ass to deal with it. Or am I just getting the wrong vibe from the Tangiers community? Seems if something can go wrong with it, it usually does. Please, Correct me if I am wrong. I'm still learning here (And not meaning to hi-jack your thread either, I'm also wanting to know about acclimation and all that)
[/quote]

No, there isn't much that can go wrong with it...the only difference it has compared to other tobacco in preparation is the acclimation process....and going by the popular opinion, I am sure as hell it's worth it. It has lots of things going on for it for asking just that one little acclimation window - long lasting tobacco, robust flavours, epic clouds.

Just that tangiers has a learning curve to it, and it's easy for some, difficult for some. It's proving a bit difficult for me, but hey, I believe that everything worth learning is difficult. :) and it's like riding a bike - once you know how to, you know how to.

Don't let my problems get in your way to trying any...it may be easier for you, or may be not, but it will definitely be worth it.

[/quote]

Sex takes a bit of work too. And that up and down action. You going to give it up 'cuz there's a little work involved?

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1311996360' post='517729']
[/quote]

Sex takes a bit of work too. And that up and down action. You going to give it up 'cuz there's a little work involved?

'Rani
[/quote]

Hahaha That made my day.

I guess what I was getting at is the work you put in Vs what you get from it worth it. I mean, I wont try it with my vortex bowl because from what I heard it pretty much sucks trying it with that. I also have a little mod bowl that came with my hookah, unsure if that'll really work. Would anyone care to PM me the full acclimation process and whatnot involving Tangiers? I cannot seem to find a thread going into great detail about Tangiers. Everyone already seems to have skipped over that and went right to a review or a different question hehe.

Glad you found it. We're always here to help, and I'll be more than glad to answer any questions you might have regarding Tangiers.

I used to really strongly dislike Noir. I would only smoke Lucid. But I kept hearing more and more about how awesome Noir was. So I got some more and tried it again and after some practice, I got it smoking pretty good. Now I always get it smoking great and with full flavor. Needless to say, my opinion has changed. Now I have no problems getting Noir. I still smoke mainly Lucid just because it's easier and doesn't have to be perfected so much (I sometimes have acclimation issues, and Noir is more finicky in terms of how you pack it). It just takes patience, really. Don't give up if you do decide to try it out. Start with Lucid, then work your way up.

I am not sure, but could this be a problem?

Tangiers is a heat sensitive tobacco.......I light my coals on an electric coil burner in the same room I smoke in, like 4 feet away from the hookah when it's being smoked out of, so that can affect the tobacco negatively right?

If you look at the packaging, Eric puts on there that chemicals and stuff in the air can affect the tobacco. But I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and light my coals on my stove just a couple yards from where I smoke. I acclimate my tobacco a few feet from where I light my coals. Therefore, I do not think it could be the lighting of the coals affecting your tobacco. When it's said that Tangiers is heat sensitive, it is only in the terms of coal being applied to the bowl.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1311963901' post='517640']
[quote name='Plex' timestamp='1311959882' post='517631']
[/quote]

Do you mean you smash it in there to the point the juices start to squeeze out of the tobacco? [b]Also, how full do you pack it[/b]?
[/quote]

Stuff it! As much as the bowl will hold, and push it down hard several times.
[/quote]

Smash it in all the way up to the outer rim, center spire, or what? How much is too much?
Should juices be dripping down the center and around the outer rim (visible once the foil is removed)?

I make it flush with the edge of the center spire. Your center spire should be just SLIGHTLY lower than your outer rim. You can pack it tightly to the top edge of the center spire, or do the foil test where your palm presses down the tobacco to just underneath the outer rim. I do the first option, because that keeps the underside of the foil clean and I'm just OCD like that (If you do the foil test, don't bother taking the foil off and wiping it off, just pull the foil back tight once you're sure it's packed well enough). Either way, you want the bowl packed as tightly as it comes new in the package, but you want it just a TAD bit below the outer rim.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1312165199' post='518010']
I make it flush with the edge of the center spire. Your center spire should be just SLIGHTLY lower than your outer rim. You can pack it tightly to the top edge of the center spire, or do the foil test where your palm presses down the tobacco to just underneath the outer rim. I do the first option, because that keeps the underside of the foil clean and I'm just OCD like that (If you do the foil test, don't bother taking the foil off and wiping it off, just pull the foil back tight once you're sure it's packed well enough). Either way, you want the bowl packed as tightly as it comes new in the package, but you want it just a TAD bit below the outer rim.
[/quote]

Okay is this for the micro phunnel? It appears to me that when packing this way, the foil would hardly be touching the tobacco once it's tight on the bowl? I know I am new to tang but I read a lot on it before I even ordered and I am definitely packing it as tight as it came in the packet, but my tobacco touches the foil alot!

[Edit] And thanks for explaining the heat thing, it occurred to me that I might be overthinking there but really wanted to eliminate the possibility of that being a reason. :)[/Edit] Edited by vendetta_revived

Well, the Crown phunnels don't have as defined of an edge, so it's going to be a little bit more complicated. In this situation, I'd say just pack it right below the outer rim, even if the tobacco is higher than the center spire. Reason for leaving the very slight space is the tobacco will boil and rise a bit once heated.