Help! My Hookah Won't Bubble

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if people come on this forum and ask stupid questions like this, but my hookah won't bubble and I tried to find leaks or clogs and I can't find any.

I plug the top where the bowl should be and tried to inhale to find leaks, and there aren't any. I can't draw any air in when it's plugged.

When I take the main shaft out of the water, I can see through it to the floor, which I think means I don't have a leak.

Can anyone help me??

Thanks!
Lauren

The OP didn't mention what type of a Hookah , whether it is an Egyptian (closed chamber) or Chinese (common chamber) type. Having a leaky purge valve in an Egyptian might effect the draw a little bit but in a common chamber it will kill it. Also, check for hairline cracks in the downstem, I had that happen to me once.

I think the next querstion to solve your problem has already been tossed around...

When you inhale on the hose, is it impossible to get anything through? Like, a sealed vaccum? Or can you get air through, but the water isn't being disturbed.

If you can't inhale, like there is a clog somewhere there could be a few issues. Try taking your bowl off, and inhaling WITHOUT covering the top where the bowl was. If the water bubbles and you can freely breath, then your bowl packing is the issue, which will be solved later. Also, take off your hose and breath in through your hose, I wouldn't think this could be the case, but you never know. If you can't breath in through the hose, remarkabely, you have a hose clog. Lol. Just blow really hard through the hose, or unwravel a coat hanger and send it through like a plummer's snake. UNLESS YOU HAVE A WASHABLE HOSE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER PUT LIQUID THROUGH YOUR HOSE. IT WILL RUIN IT. ASK ABOUT YOUR HOSE BEING WASHABLE BEFORE YOU TRY IF YOU AREN'T SURE.

If air is passing freely through the hookah, yet the water isn't bubbling, there are a couple of things that might do that. Does your hookah have a long piece of pipe dipping into the water? Or is there nothing actually intering the vase when you put the stem on the vase. If there isn't any pipe, you are missing something they call a downstem. If there is that long pipe, the downstem is there. If the down stem is there, you can inhale freely, yet no water is bubbling, make sure that the lower pipe is submerged in the water. a good reccomndation is about from the tip of your finger, the the end of the closest knuckle.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1302671052' post='505236']
I think the next querstion to solve your problem has already been tossed around...

When you inhale on the hose, is it impossible to get anything through? Like, a sealed vaccum? Or can you get air through, but the water isn't being disturbed.

If you can't inhale, like there is a clog somewhere there could be a few issues. Try taking your bowl off, and inhaling WITHOUT covering the top where the bowl was. If the water bubbles and you can freely breath, then your bowl packing is the issue, which will be solved later. Also, take off your hose and breath in through your hose, I wouldn't think this could be the case, but you never know. If you can't breath in through the hose, remarkabely, you have a hose clog. Lol. Just blow really hard through the hose, or unwravel a coat hanger and send it through like a plummer's snake. UNLESS YOU HAVE A WASHABLE HOSE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER PUT LIQUID THROUGH YOUR HOSE. IT WILL RUIN IT. ASK ABOUT YOUR HOSE BEING WASHABLE BEFORE YOU TRY IF YOU AREN'T SURE.

If air is passing freely through the hookah, yet the water isn't bubbling, there are a couple of things that might do that. Does your hookah have a long piece of pipe dipping into the water? Or is there nothing actually intering the vase when you put the stem on the vase. If there isn't any pipe, you are missing something they call a downstem. If there is that long pipe, the downstem is there. If the down stem is there, you can inhale freely, yet no water is bubbling, make sure that the lower pipe is submerged in the water. a good reccomndation is about from the tip of your finger, the the end of the closest knuckle.
[/quote]
check these plus purge valve or other hose ports(autoseal could be open) make sure the ball bearings inside (which ever you have) are clean. soungs like there is something missing of some sort. for air to pass freely through your hose but not down the stem means there is a rather large space open. go through Dave's checklist and hopefully you will find the problem, if not come back with some pics of ur hookah and were can try to better troubleshoot based on model/type.

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1302649496' post='505190']
if there is no draw as in it is clogged, it could be how you packed the bowl...could have packed it too tight
[/quote]

OMG yes that is probably it if nothing else is wrong. That happened to me the first time I tried to pack mine too!

[quote name='ilikemyusername' timestamp='1302732193' post='505351']
...Yeah, I totally smell a troll but... thats okay.
[/quote]

Either that, or our friend Lauren here found her problem and A. didn't feel like taking the time to come back on the forum after her one time use and inform us, or B. found it it was something like, no water in the vase, or her hose wasn't connected or something really silly and didn't want to say so.

Whatever the case, I wish Lauren the best of luck in her non-bubbliness.

now i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight unless she comes back with an update....jk.
in these rare situations i think it's best to either make a video or go into a tc room. i have someone call me with a different issue that stumped me. i asked all of the usual questions and all abses were covered, i asked for a vid but it was hard to view. hidef is always best.