If...?

[quote]What would make me want to act any more proper than the president of the USA?[/quote]
Dignity and self-respect, perhaps?

While you quarrel against the ambiguous group of people who happen to share nomenclature and similar ideologies, citing their inappropriate behavior as grounds for you own, you fail to understand the environment in which you are expressing yourself. Do you not expect people, the people on this forum, who have not evoked such names, to turn their noses at you? Justify your puerile assaults however you wish, but understand this is not the place for them - regardless of what political affiliation you attribute to members. On a personal note: If you want to argue facts, stop injecting your statements with your opinions.

Rani said:"

The problem my acerbic friend, is the way you criticize. You have a better than average intelligence which I know from personal debate with you many times in the past, but in the manner of your criticism you come across like a petulant 11th grader after his first US Government class. If your criticism has value, if it has point, then it shouldn't be diminished by your offhand attitude with it. Calling names works fine when venting behind closed doors, but doesn't drive an audience to consider your point of view when it's public. You do yourself a disservice. What's more, you do a disservice to the conservative movement. Just as Tea Bag Party participants do themselves. You say not even the President has the right to call names and should expect the same in return when he does so. You don't like or respect him, so why descend to his level?"

Well said, Rani.

See, Scotsman, here's my problem with your name-calling. Back when Bush was president, Fox News would call him Mr. President, or President Bush, never just Bush. Now with Obama I never hear them do that. It's always just Obama, or some stupid childish name. So one man deserves the respect while another one doesn't? Hell, I even remember one time a guy said Bush and whoever it was (Hannity, O' Reilly, etc.) said, "He is Mr. President to you!" Funny now how that is not the case. All the other news networks seem to respect the prez no matter who he is. Just some food for thought.

[quote name='Rani' date='07 July 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1278563303' post='474357']
[quote name='TheScotsman' date='07 July 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1278561155' post='474350']
[quote name='mustafabey' date='07 July 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1278522303' post='474249']
The Scotsman said:"obambi,the bumster, the messiah,the saintly-anointed-one"

I don't understand the name calling here, unless you listen to far too much conservative talk radio. We get Limbaugh, Boortz and Hannity around here and they also use these very words and a few more. If we are having an adult discussion about American politics, then this childish name calling is out of order. We can agree or disagree on a man's record and decisions, but we don't have to stoop to name calling. The man IS the President of the United States! I know, you respect the office, not the man(thank you Neal Boortz). I recall, when the shoe was on the other foot during the Nixon years, those of us that even thought about critisizing the President were accused of lack of patriotism and called names like commie etc. This is one of things that disturbs me about the far right wing, they adjust the rules to suit themselves. I don't know much about you,sir, other than what I read here. Sometimes I agree with statements you make and sometimes I don't, but the name calling thing doesn't lend your editorial much credibility. Again, not refering to you, but when I listen to conservative talk radio hosts bash Obama with various names and epithets, I feel that really what they want to do is use the one epithet they feel he deserves and that would amount to very serious racial slur.
[/quote]

Libs have called conservatives names for years-funny how they don't accept the behavior they have initiated. I saw bush portrayed as everything from hitler, to the villiage idiot. While the later may be pretty close to true, one would have to say the portrayal didn't respect the office, or the man. Now suddenly, since their guy is there, that is supposed to be different? that makes no sense to me at all. Libs said nothing when chavez shows up in our country then calls the president the devil, but some libs get bent out of shape at any regular citizen saying "obummer"? They must think he's the messiah, and should be free of "blasphemous names", eh? The same liberal-mentality that showed up at a friend's funeral, and protested the war by carrying downright nasty signs, and yelling slurs at his family, say I can't call PEBO "the messiah" Give me a break. That is the definition of "adjusting the rules" to suit themselves.

To the point... if the president can call me, and people with the same views "tea baggers", then the libs give him a standing ovation, but then I can call him "obummer" the self-righteous show up and beat their gums about how disrespectful it is. Which is more disrespectful, the President calling the citizens by a sexual slur, or the citizens criticizing the government? I can show you a constitution that says I have the right to criticize the government ( more [url="http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/speech/overview.aspx"]here[/url]). What can you show me? No one has the holy right to call people names, and not expect a return of the favour, not even the president.

I mean the man IS the president of the USA, he should do better than calling Citizens names, wouldn't you think? What would make me want to act any more proper than the president of the USA?
[/quote]

The problem my acerbic friend, is the [u]way[/u] you criticize. You have a better than average intelligence which I know from personal debate with you many times in the past, but in the manner of your criticism you come across like a petulant 11th grader after his first US Government class. If your criticism has value, if it has point, then it shouldn't be diminished by your offhand attitude with it. Calling names works fine when venting behind closed doors, but doesn't drive an audience to consider your point of view when it's public. You do yourself a disservice. What's more, you do a disservice to the conservative movement. Just as Tea Bag Party participants do themselves. You say not even the President has the right to call names and should expect the same in return when he does so. You don't like or respect him, so why descend to his level?

You are too intelligent to have your views shunted aside as being without merit because of the attitude you give off when you give them. Sarcasm only comes across well on a stage. If you're looking for a stage presence, find an open mic night near you. If you're trying to influence and impact a government badly out of control in the hands of madmen of both parties, then you need to come across as convincing. Not petulant.

'Rani
[/quote]

Ok, I will give you that.

Just for Rani I will refrain from using - obummer, obambi, onumbnuts, obamazombie, or any of my (many) favourite pieces of verbiage for this regime, and company. This is going to be hard, but we will see.

Incidentally, I think they call themselves tea party.... the "bag" part is an addition of Obama (ouch, that hurt) supporters. (and I don't mean to infer anything about athletic supporters- I may have been thinking it, but that is not the light I use the word in. :lamsey_woot3:

Frankly, I don't care what fox calls anyone. On the opposite side we have people like most of msnbc, cnn, franken, thom hartmann, ed schultz, and randi rhodes that called bush/conservatives anything they want, yet the liberals say nothing. Apply the same logic to both sides, or give it up.

Eh, Obama has done some really, really dumb things in his term -- perhaps to try to solve a problem or perhaps on bad judgement, but Bush did the same thing. Guess what? Every single president has done dumb things during their term. Know what defines dumb? Whatever you blieve in. No one is ever going to agree 100% with any president, I liked Bush for the most part but there are some things he did that made me want to move to a remote island and lock my self into a cage and curl into the fetal position. I dislike Obama, but there are some things he's done that makes me glad he's our current President. Every president has their good and bad moments, but we don't always hear about what they do every single day all the time, we only hear about the things that one side or the other in the political spectrum loved/hated most recently. I for one am tired of Republicans bashing Obama simply because he ran with the Democratic party, and I am tired of Democrats bashing Bush because he was a Republican. Both presidents ran their day-to-day fairly well and any attempt to say otherwise is just futile. So you didn't agree with one of their major decisions? Tough shit, you voted, maybe your guy won, maybe he didn't but if you live in the United States that's what you have to deal with, sometimes you get what you want sometimes you dont -- bitching and complaining about everything, especially about things in the past, isn't fruitful at all. If you don't like something then maybe you should use your energy to get a petition going or something, become politically active in the system. At least then you'll have a reason to complain if something doesn't turn out the way you want it to. Personally, I don't like Obama at all and I think his foreign policy sucks monkey balls, but I don't use every single chance I get to bash him about it, because there are a few things he's done that I do agree with. Same with Bush, I liked a lot of his decisions on many things, but I rarely ever got into a political debate defending him because there are things he did that I strongly disagreed with. People who watch the news channels, CNN Fox MSNBC BBC anything are going to get a biased account of the story one way or another, it's whether or not you agree with it that makes it any good. Of course most Democrats are going to disagree with Fox News, just like most Republicans are going to disagree with CNN; that's why they both exist.

If there's anything that we can all agree on, it's that Glenn Beck is a waste of oxygen :)

In my very young life, having watched all of the news networks over the years during the Clinton, Bush, and now Obama years, I can tell you that a lot more childish name-calling comes from the right. Take Limbaugh and O' Reilly for example. They're just the worst ones too. In turn, this makes it seem like the democrats (or liberals if you will), have no backbone. They just simply don't employ the same childish techniques as the Republicans (conservatives). In my opinion, the conservatives spend too much time thinking of names to call the liberals, and in turn nothing ever gets done. Honestly, I'd like to see a doing-away with of these "titles" of Democrat/Republican and Liberal/Conservative. Imagine what we could actually accomplish!

Oh, and glad to see you've agreed to drop the name-calling.

I have no idea why anybody, republican or democrat,liberal or conservative would ever want the job of President of the United States

[quote name='mustafabey' date='08 July 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1278625224' post='474470']
I have no idea why anybody, republican or democrat,liberal or conservative would ever want the job of President of the United States
[/quote]

Word!

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='08 July 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1278625999' post='474472']
[quote name='mustafabey' date='08 July 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1278625224' post='474470']
[/quote]

Word!
[/quote]

Ditto!

'Rani

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='08 July 2010 - 03:57 PM' timestamp='1278622622' post='474468']
In my very young life, having watched all of the news networks over the years during the Clinton, Bush, and now Obama years, I can tell you that a lot more childish name-calling comes from the right. Take Limbaugh and O' Reilly for example. They're just the worst ones too. In turn, this makes it seem like the democrats (or liberals if you will), have no backbone. They just simply don't employ the same childish techniques as the Republicans (conservatives). In my opinion, the conservatives spend too much time thinking of names to call the liberals, and in turn nothing ever gets done. Honestly, I'd like to see a doing-away with of these "titles" of Democrat/Republican and Liberal/Conservative. Imagine what we could actually accomplish!

Oh, and glad to see you've agreed to drop the name-calling.
[/quote]

It's just a temporary moratorium. :drinks:Sorta like the offshore drilling halt... but BP isn't giving either of us any bucks for it.

It's really more of a means of expressing displeasure, and frustration, than name calling. Call it a verbally graphic redress of grievances. there is a difference.

Now it's cooled off enough, I have a blown 572 waiting to take me to my favourite island for a short bit of mosquito-slapping, and Tang Lime. Gotta remember the torch this time. Lighting cocos on water injected headers is an exercise in futility, moreso when my drive has no reverse bucket, or neutral, idle is a good 5 knot clip. Holding a couple of coals in linesmans pliers, while going in little donut-circles only gets me dizzy-without lit coals.

Burning large quantities of alcohol, going fast, and hookah... what more can one ask for?

the thing people don't remember is people like anderson cooper,hanity and combs,limbaugh,and mark lavin get paid to make fun of these people.They are not journalists they are shock jocks.Anyone getting their news from any of these people deserve to live in their ignorance.
I recommend people read.AP,Reuters,local news and remember its about money and sponsors.
Ray

[quote name='Venger' date='08 July 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1278637109' post='474484']
the thing people don't remember is people like anderson cooper,hanity and combs,limbaugh,and mark lavin get paid to make fun of these people.They are not journalists they are shock jocks.Anyone getting their news from any of these people deserve to live in their ignorance.
I recommend people read.AP,Reuters,local news and remember its about money and sponsors.
Ray
[/quote]

Yeah Ray you're totally right. I actually learned about it in my American Media and Social Institutions class a few semesters ago. The lecture was about how ethics have been totally forgotten nowadays. He then proceeded to show us a video of Rush, Beck, Hannity, and O' Reilly and all the stupid things they have said. Yep, no ethics anymore. No just reporting the facts, which should be the news. It's sad really how everything has a spin on it to make a buck. No wonder the rest of the world sees us as being so ignorant.