I Live In A Very Nice City

Tom1

[quote name='Kathrynx' date='15 January 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1263598843' post='445664']
So, what video game do you think that kid was playing to start stabbing other kids? COD? Kids these days.

You do live in a [s]very nice[/s] city...
[/quote]

I hope to god thats a sarcastic comment...

[quote name='LZ22' date='15 January 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1263602570' post='445678']
[quote name='Kathrynx' date='15 January 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1263598843' post='445664']
So, what video game do you think that kid was playing to start stabbing other kids? COD? Kids these days.

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL WUT?

[quote name='SloppyJoe' date='15 January 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1263604758' post='445688']
[quote name='LZ22' date='15 January 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1263602570' post='445678']

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL WUT?
[/quote]

I was hoping it was a sarcastic comment because video games DO NOT cause violence in today's youth. Anyone who thinks so is using it as a scape goat to try to make a complex problem have a simple solution.

Yes, it was sarcastic to the "gaming and violence" reference. I've been reading about it today (again) and I'm rolling my eyes at everything I am reading.

Sorry, smilies don't load here, I was going to put the sarcastic one...

[quote name='Kathrynx' date='15 January 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1263610961' post='445714']
Yes, it was sarcastic to the "gaming and violence" reference. I've been reading about it today (again) and I'm rolling my eyes at everything I am reading.

Sorry, smilies don't load here, I was going to put the sarcastic one...
[/quote]
Alright I thought it was sarcastic ha...

Anyways, what was that recent story? Like some young girl killed an 8 year old or something just to see what it was like to murder? It was in the news recently. Then there was that girl who was raped in her own middle school by like 5 different students. This youth violence is so tragic, this kind of stuff shouldn't happen to anyone let alone children :(

damn. just... damn.

I'm a proponent of reactive violence but I have no reason to believe this particular altercation was anywhere near the realm of just. People are wil'in out nowadays; they have no sense.

Stay strapped and ready to bump. You never know when you'll be in the cross hairs but at least you can be prepared...

Damn.

The kid is a product of his environment, Newburgh had THE highest crime rates per capita in the country a few years ago (can't remember). I went to NFA when I was in high school and it was JUST as bad, two people were stabbed on the day I graduated...

Watch Blackboard Jungle (1955) some time. These things are nothing new. Especially not in New York. They are regrettable and tragic, but not unusual. Only our hyper-sensitive modern times have made them seem unusual. Remember your bible "Cain slew Abel." He didn't use harsh words to kill his brother. Presumably he spilled his brother's blood on the ground. Read Homer's "The Iliad". Shakespeare. French Revolution. Salem Witch Trials. Just because we've learned to be repelled by such things hasn't stopped them from happening. Not to mention what goes on in other countries already. We somehow think of the United States as more civilized (it isn't by a long shot), the United States is more like Lebanon than it is Japan or Canada. We are shocked by the deaths of a couple of kids who shouldn't have died, but we ignore 50,000 deaths in the Haitian Earthquake of a week ago, among many nationalities, including our own and it being scarcely 200 miles from our border. Thousands of children's blood ran on the streets that day, I would wager. Babies. School children. Leaving a trail of orphans, widows, and homeless. The headlines on the news of the day had something to do with Sarah Palin writing a book. I must have missed the Hookah Forum Thread on the tragedy in Haiti...it only has 10 replies...I did catch the one on Sarah Palin though.

Perhaps we can all make our cities better and safer when we start regarding the events and tragedies of all mankind as our own and stop focusing on what's over the backyard fence.

Just a friendly reminder.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='16 January 2010 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1263680797' post='445907']
Watch Blackboard Jungle (1955) some time. These things are nothing new. Especially not in New York. They are regrettable and tragic, but not unusual. Only our hyper-sensitive modern times have made them seem unusual. Remember your bible "Cain slew Abel." He didn't use harsh words to kill his brother. Presumably he spilled his brother's blood on the ground. Read Homer's "The Iliad". Shakespeare. French Revolution. Salem Witch Trials. Just because we've learned to be repelled by such things hasn't stopped them from happening. Not to mention what goes on in other countries already. We somehow think of the United States as more civilized (it isn't by a long shot), the United States is more like Lebanon than it is Japan or Canada. We are shocked by the deaths of a couple of kids who shouldn't have died, but we ignore 50,000 deaths in the Haitian Earthquake of a week ago, among many nationalities, including our own and it being scarcely 200 miles from our border. Thousands of children's blood ran on the streets that day, I would wager. Babies. School children. Leaving a trail of orphans, widows, and homeless. The headlines on the news of the day had something to do with Sarah Palin writing a book. I must have missed the Hookah Forum Thread on the tragedy in Haiti...it only has 10 replies...I did catch the one on Sarah Palin though.

Perhaps we can all make our cities better and safer when we start regarding the events and tragedies of all mankind as our own and stop focusing on what's over the backyard fence.

Just a friendly reminder.
[/quote]

I don't think I'd go as far as to say that America is ignoring the Haiti crisis. Every single time I turn on the news, every channel, its about Haiti. Every article that pops up on my google news feed is on Haiti. I hear a commercial about Haiti every day on the radio. Many of my friends on facebook have changed their status' to numbers to text to donate to Haiti. The US will raise billions upon billions upon billions in aid to Haiti. The same thing happened when the massive tsunami hit years ago.

Aside from that, City of God is an incredible movie and this thread reminded me of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats ridiculous, a 13 year old getting in a knife fight and killing someone? That's insane, the world is getting more and more messed up I swear. We have at least one school shooting a year now.

[quote name='Dr. B' date='15 January 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1263613561' post='445737']
damn. just... damn.

I'm a proponent of reactive violence but I have no reason to believe this particular altercation was anywhere near the realm of just. People are wil'in out nowadays; they have no sense.

Stay strapped and ready to bump. You never know when you'll be in the cross hairs but at least you can be prepared...

Damn.
[/quote]

Something I can agree with Dr.B on.
frightening.

This is really nothing new at all. people are little more than slightly socialized predators, leave a bunch of them with nothing to do, and time on their hands, sooner, or later it's going to get bloody. Toss in the teenage-superman factor, and some testosterone, and the blood is coming more sooner than later. Best you can do is to be ready to survive the stupidity.

Very seldom will a homicide involving an edged weapon turn out to be a self defense killing.