Wow Fml

Tyler

Actually FSU, I'm sorry, that was a dick comment on my part. I just think you got screwed pretty bad. If you like your car and all and are ok with paying it, more power to you. Guess I jsut hate seeing people get screwed on cars.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sportsfan6216 @ Oct 2 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1968 mustang for the win....... any old ford parts work with it..... generic batteries are fine..... i broke down last month.... cost me 45 bucks to fix.... had to replace a fuel pump and filter..... which again are amazingly cheap (which is due in part to the fact that ford pumps go out ALL the time but still)...... now that car is sex on wheels

Nice! I'm going to get a '98 cobra and rebuild it as a project one day. Can't wait. yahoo.gif

I'd rather spend a few hundred once than 50-100 every year on a car.

It was actually an interstate battery that went bad. And @cyrax, I don't have to pay for oil changes, break pads, or rotations/alignments.

I don't know why everyone is giving him crap. We all buy the cars we love, pay what we pay for the maintenance required based on the model and that's that. Lay off guys..... He was looking to vent about his experience, not wanting to hear people giving him a hard time about his personal choice of vehicle.

'Rani

I feel your pain, FSU. I had to do some massive repairs on my 92 Accord, all bc of a little thing called a thermostat. I will never trust any of my future vehicles to a dealership again (well, not really, just the shady ones costumed-smiley-091.gif ).

Most expensive car I've ever had to work on was my 95 Olds Aurora. That monstrosity had a battery under the backseat that was MASSIVE. It weighed more than a not-so-small child and cost $250. Could not find a cheaper replacement at any auto parts store, at least at the time.

My 88 BMW 735 is actually the cheapest car I've ever owned as far as maintenance goes even considering the fact that I'm retarded when it comes to working on the vehicle. Granted, that's because I can get junkyard parts and there's tons of guides out there so I can make sure the mechanic isn't completely lying to me. 20 years and 250K miles and the engine and tranny are great. I will say that the electronics have been a pain in the ass the last year or so and that they tend to use cheap plastic when they use plastic (like for the stupid gas door).

That being said, I'd never buy a new BMW (or other brand for that matter). After a number of years, I've finally learned that an old car can still be reliable.

Thanks ~Rani, I honestly don't get why everyone is so antiBMW. They're awsome quality cars, much better than acuras, definately better than fords and toyotas. I had one issue because the previous owner put in a sub-par battery. Sure, the matience was more than most cars, but unlike most cars I only have to do it once every few YEARS. I also probably paid much less than people did/would for the same type of car/year. I'd personally never own a japanese car, they're just as expensive as BMWs are to maintain [dont try to tell me they're not, I have many friends who drive at least one of every Japanese brand -- Infiniti is a brand of Nissan, Lexus and Scion are brands of Toyota, and Acura is a brand of Honda. Toyota is one of the largest automakers in the world and also the lowest selling import due to the low quality of cars and trucks. Iszusu, Mitsubitchi, Subaru are all really expensive to fix when compared to Chevy and also need more upkeep more often. Just so we're clear here, I was initially upset that I had to spend money on my car, ended up getting more than just the battery done and paid slightly over $300, for a dealership, a BMW dealership, to replace and instal my battery, my serpentine belt, brake fluid, and also got my car "serviced" BMW style which means topping all fluds, balance align and rotate tires, new wipers, A/C recharge, and floormat replacements all on top of a free vaccume and wash. If you can get all that for $300 anywhere else, let me know so I can call you full of shit, unless you do it all yourself.

QUOTE (FSUReligionMan @ Oct 9 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks ~Rani, I honestly don't get why everyone is so antiBMW. They're awsome quality cars, much better than acuras, definately better than fords and toyotas. I had one issue because the previous owner put in a sub-par battery. Sure, the matience was more than most cars, but unlike most cars I only have to do it once every few YEARS. I also probably paid much less than people did/would for the same type of car/year. I'd personally never own a japanese car, they're just as expensive as BMWs are to maintain [dont try to tell me they're not, I have many friends who drive at least one of every Japanese brand -- Infiniti is a brand of Nissan, Lexus and Scion are brands of Toyota, and Acura is a brand of Honda. Toyota is one of the largest automakers in the world and also the lowest selling import due to the low quality of cars and trucks. Iszusu, Mitsubitchi, Subaru are all really expensive to fix when compared to Chevy and also need more upkeep more often. Just so we're clear here, I was initially upset that I had to spend money on my car, ended up getting more than just the battery done and paid slightly over $300, for a dealership, a BMW dealership, to replace and instal my battery, my serpentine belt, brake fluid, and also got my car "serviced" BMW style which means topping all fluds, balance align and rotate tires, new wipers, A/C recharge, and floormat replacements all on top of a free vaccume and wash. If you can get all that for $300 anywhere else, let me know so I can call you full of shit, unless you do it all yourself.

i dont think its really anti-bmw, but i think its more of a this young guy going to college and drives a bmw truck kind of jealousy hate..lol

Hey, I made my own down payment and make my own monthly payments, while in grad school. I just don't have rent to pay biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thecyrax @ Oct 9 2009, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dr. B @ Oct 8 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
um... you know they manufacture them here right?

Acuras?

I know mine was made in Canada tongue.gif

Doesn't mean it isn't the same parts/quality as the actual made-in-japan cars.

it was more a comment about direct foreign investment and how foreign automakers manufacture domestically. Parts/quality aside, you're buying goods that contribute to US GDP and paying US labor to make them. That's what i as telling Del Sol Edited by Dr. B

QUOTE (Dr. B @ Oct 9 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Acuras?

it was more a comment about direct foreign investment and how foreign automakers manufacture domestically. Parts/quality aside, you're buying goods that contribute to US GDP and paying US labor to make them. That's what i as telling Del Sol

I really don't know the dates to well, but mine is a 94, not sure if they were producing them here back then or not. I guess my point was that I would like to see "foreign" quality in "domestic" cars.

NoB, I'm actually not jealous at all. I'm cheap so I like to drive something cheap on gas and maintenance and my Honda is cheap in both of those categories. But FSU is entitled to drive wahtever he wants and I'm glad he likes it. Thanks for the needed kick in the ass Rani.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Oct 9 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dr. B @ Oct 9 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Acuras?

it was more a comment about direct foreign investment and how foreign automakers manufacture domestically. Parts/quality aside, you're buying goods that contribute to US GDP and paying US labor to make them. That's what i as telling Del Sol

I really don't know the dates to well, but mine is a 94, not sure if they were producing them here back then or not. I guess my point was that I would like to see "foreign" quality in "domestic" cars.

NoB, I'm actually not jealous at all. I'm cheap so I like to drive something cheap on gas and maintenance and my Honda is cheap in both of those categories. But FSU is entitled to drive wahtever he wants and I'm glad he likes it. Thanks for the needed kick in the ass Rani.

i didnt mention any names..lol

The loaner I got to drive was a 2010 7 series. That thing had so many buttons and gadets on it I was scared to even change the radio station in fear I'd hit the transformer button.

QUOTE (FSUReligionMan @ Oct 10 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The loaner I got to drive was a 2010 7 series. That thing had so many buttons and gadets on it I was scared to even change the radio station in fear I'd hit the transformer button.

OH yeah the loners they give out are usually 3 series, but there is usually the lone 7 just waiting for that lucky someone.

Do you feel like everyone is judging you driving a 7? I was driving a friends through a car wash once and i just got the oddest looks...

I felt like I was rich. My X3 is a very nice car, but the 7 series is just disgustingly sweet. I got the 7 because my uncle owns the dealership, which is also why I got about 17,000 off of my X3 when I bought it.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brandon` @ Oct 9 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Mercedes cost 455 to replace the battery... I hate foreign cars, i'm only buying american from now on.

WHY!?!?!?!?! german cars are crazy expensive to work on yes but korean cars have taken leaps and bounds in quality and they are stupid cheap to work on. of course the jap cars are also really cheap to work on so long as you dont go to the dealership. american cars are junk ..... with this whole restructuring thing that they have been forced to do they are getting better but still dont have any shot at the AZNs. Edited by Decapitated Toy

Dude FSU I had no idea you owned a BMW. Sweet shit I love BMW's. My brother owns a 1997 528i. It is so much fun to drive and for the longest time my dad had a 2001 BMW X5. X3's are nice by the way i love em. But yea all that you got for 300 some dollars is a REALLY good deal.