Wetshaving

Zinite

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Jul 10 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My facial hair grows very very fast. I grew up using a safety razor and always used one with great results until I hit my 20's and got lazy. Now I just buzz it off every couple days with an electric trimmer/edger.

Robots have facial hair?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight razor all the way. I have some antique blades that I keep up by honing them myself. Nothing like the smoothness from it. When I travel, though, I use my fusion 5-blade thing. Can't complain about it, just glad I don't use it all the time.

Switched from Gilette Fusion to a Merkur Safety Razor some months ago and I haven't looked back. In fact, I just placed a new order of about 400 blades and three new shaving creams (my favorites so far are Truefitt & Hill, Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street).

For anything shaving related I really recomment the Badger & Blade-forums.

QUOTE (jmorandall @ Jul 10 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Robots have facial hair?

no.

• 5 weeks later...
Got really into researching wetshaving awhile ago! Think I am going to go with the Murker slant blade, shavemac 23mm finest, Tobac soap, blade sampler from WCS and not sure about aftershave but possibly Gentlemens Refinery. Glad to here there are some people that have heard of or are into wetshaving!

QUOTE (Sisonpyh @ Aug 14 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got really into researching wetshaving awhile ago! Think I am going to go with the Murker slant blade, shavemac 23mm finest, Tobac soap, blade sampler from WCS and not sure about aftershave but possibly Gentlemens Refinery. Glad to here there are some people that have heard of or are into wetshaving!

I got the Merkur HD long handle, 100 Sharp blades ($20 on Amazon), Tweezerman brush ($15?), and Col. Conk Bay Rum soap. It's also suggested that you use an after shave balm that doesn't have alcohol in it. I'm using Nivea For Men no-dye no-fragrance vitamin E balm.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Aug 14 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the Merkur HD long handle, 100 Sharp blades ($20 on Amazon), Tweezerman brush ($15?), and Col. Conk Bay Rum soap. It's also suggested that you use an after shave balm that doesn't have alcohol in it. I'm using Nivea For Men no-dye no-fragrance vitamin E balm.

I was thinking about getting the Merkur HD but I figured since there is already going to be a learning curve I might as well get the slant, even with people making it seem like I would be shaving with a rabid weasel lol.gif . Blades are so much cheaper to, but I cant complain, I have been using the same cartidge for the fusion for over 6 months now. How do you like the Tweezerman? Seems to be recommmend quite a bit for a badger brush. The Gentemens Refinery does not have alcohal in it. I do want to try witch hazel though, seems to be highly regarded.

QUOTE (Sisonpyh @ Aug 14 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking about getting the Merkur HD but I figured since there is already going to be a learning curve I might as well get the slant, even with people making it seem like I would be shaving with a rabid weasel lol.gif . Blades are so much cheaper to, but I cant complain, I have been using the same cartidge for the fusion for over 6 months now. How do you like the Tweezerman? Seems to be recommmend quite a bit for a badger brush. The Gentemens Refinery does not have alcohal in it. I do want to try witch hazel though, seems to be highly regarded.

Haven't had any problems with the Tweezerman. It lost a few hairs at first but it seems to work great otherwise.

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Aug 14 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I shave everything in the shower with a gillette fusion

I used to use a Gillette 5 blade in the shower. Shaving with a safety razor is a completely different experience. Half of it is just the ritual (sort of like the pride from being able to set a good hookah up) and the other half is the closest shave you've ever experienced. It takes longer to shave, but it's actually kind of fun to whip up the shaving cream with the brush.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Aug 14 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sisonpyh @ Aug 14 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haven't had any problems with the Tweezerman. It lost a few hairs at first but it seems to work great otherwise.

Seems to be typical of most brushes, definitely a cheap alternative. Ever thought of going with a higher quality brush?

QUOTE (Zinite @ Aug 14 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Aug 14 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I shave everything in the shower with a gillette fusion

I used to use a Gillette 5 blade in the shower. Shaving with a safety razor is a completely different experience. Half of it is just the ritual (sort of like the pride from being able to set a good hookah up) and the other half is the closest shave you've ever experienced. It takes longer to shave, but it's actually kind of fun to whip up the shaving cream with the brush.

Besides what you mentioned above, how else would you explain your transition to DE shaving? Like something you look forward to every morning, cases of RAD, would you ever go back to cartridge shaving etc.

Really interested in wetshaving, hopefully I order everything soon. Just doing as much research as possible.

QUOTE (Sisonpyh @ Aug 16 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides what you mentioned above, how else would you explain your transition to DE shaving? Like something you look forward to every morning, cases of RAD, would you ever go back to cartridge shaving etc.

Really interested in wetshaving, hopefully I order everything soon. Just doing as much research as possible.

I have pretty light facial hair so I shave every other day. The transition has really been painless. There's a great series on Youtube that I watched before I started:
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxFXpdLvG0

The biggest change is not applying any pressure to the razor when you're shaving. With a cartridge razor you can push hard and it won't matter, but with a safety razor you can really do some damage. I have only nicked myself once so far (luckily). I don't think I could ever go back.

Fuck shaving cream, fuck body wash, fuck moisturizer, etc.

Coconut oil > everything. Massage oil or even olive oil works in a pinch.

I've been using a straight razor in the shower for years.

If you're worried about cuts and ingrown hairs, etc., my best advice is to not use a mirror. Just take your time at first, feeling your way through it, by touch instead of by sight. It's the difference between reality and what light is reflected in the mirror, that causes people to fuck up. Edited by gaia.plateau

QUOTE (Zinite @ Aug 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sisonpyh @ Aug 16 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have pretty light facial hair so I shave every other day. The transition has really been painless. There's a great series on Youtube that I watched before I started:
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxFXpdLvG0

The biggest change is not applying any pressure to the razor when you're shaving. With a cartridge razor you can push hard and it won't matter, but with a safety razor you can really do some damage. I have only nicked myself once so far (luckily). I don't think I could ever go back.

I really enjoy Matic's videos, I have seen many of them, they are really interesting. Starting to get back on the B@B forums, used to go there all the time before I started losing interest, but now my interest is fully back.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Aug 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fuck shaving cream, fuck body wash, fuck moisturizer, etc.

Coconut oil > everything. Massage oil or even olive oil works in a pinch.

I've been using a straight razor in the shower for years.

If you're worried about cuts and ingrown hairs, etc., my best advice is to not use a mirror. Just take your time at first, feeling your way through it, by touch instead of by sight. It's the difference between reality and what light is reflected in the mirror, that causes people to fuck up.

What strop and hone do you have? How often do you hone your razors? I have starting doing research on strait razors as well, they seem very fascinating. Has this old school badass factor to it, at least for me.

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Jul 10 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My facial hair grows very very fast. I grew up using a safety razor and always used one with great results until I hit my 20's and got lazy. Now I just buzz it off every couple days with an electric trimmer/edger.

True that, since I hit 20 years old I am so lazy to shave. My beard gets so thick and I look at my self in the mirror and I am just like I should trims this today...

And I dont cause I am a lazy bastard.

Today I shaved my mustache with an eletric shaver because all my Shick Quattro/Mach 3 are dull as hell. I really would like a good razor blade that lasts. A straight razor blade and a electric shaver would be a perfect combo for me since I hate buying new razor blades for my mach 3 and the quattro very expensive and dont laste long at all..

Got all my stuff a few days ago! Beat up my neck a bit with the slant blade the first and second time but today did much better. It feels much more comfortable in my hands now. I still need to work on lather and blade angle but so far I am enjoying everything.

If you get that strait newjacksm, keep us posted! I bet my Mach 3 blade is dull as well, I have been using it for a minimum of 8 months, but still works great and I get very little irritation so I am not complaining.

I tried that bodywash with moisturizer style of shaving and manscaped and I have to admit.. Im never gonna buy a bottle of shaving cream ever again

For me, Merkur Slant-Bar, Personna blades (red packs, get em on Ebay for about $10-15 per 100), Edwin Jagger finest silvertip shaving brush (special forum buy a while back...they no longer offer that hair grade), Taylor's Eton College shaving cream, and Crabtree&Evelyn Nomad aftershave.

Fantastic results, and usually only a single against the grain pass (what the slant-bar was designed to do....offer incredibly comfortable ATG passes for those of us who have disturbing hair density).

I don't reccomend starting on a slant-bar though...you need to get good with a regular DE first...the slant can really hack up your face if you apply any pressure at all.

Well, I just use a Gilette Fusion 5 blade.. And it's true new blades are quite expensive. But i have just now ordered something called "RazorPit" which is supposed to be able to clean out the expensive razorheads, effectively making them like new. They claim that you can get 150 shaves out of a single head if you clean them with this thing smile.gif

Reasoning being that the blades don't get ineffective because they are worn, but simply because they get dirty after a few uses. Apparently it's old technology, but obviously lobbyists can achieve a lot of things tongue.gif

The thing cost me 200DKKR, or just under 40$.. It'd probably be somewhat cheaper in the US smile.gif But that'll be worthwhile pretty quickly.

Yeah, I saw the razorpit in a Norwegian barbershop as well. What I love most about the DE-razors is the price of the blades. Recently bought about 500 blader (Astra, Personna, Feather, Derby and some other) and it cost me about the same that 20 Fusion-blades would do.

For anyone looking for cheap blades I reccomend Connaught Shaving.