Job Hunt Frustration

well, right now I just graduated college. granted, it was in Theatre Tech. but graduated one semsester early none the less. I currently push cart's at wal-mart for 7.50 an hour and have just been switched to the night shift, restocking shelves for 8.00 an hour.

nearly every other job i apply for has allready been filled, or i'm apparently not right for.

Last week, i got got truned down a job cashiering at home depot. FMLIFE!

QUOTE (neffertiti @ Jun 25 2009, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, right now I just graduated college. granted, it was in Theatre Tech. but graduated one semsester early none the less. I currently push cart's at wal-mart for 7.50 an hour and have just been switched to the night shift, restocking shelves for 8.00 an hour.

nearly every other job i apply for has allready been filled, or i'm apparently not right for.

This is why I am scared of graduating. I am majoring in accounting, which is a highly competitive field, and I am not a competitive type of guy.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 25 2009, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why I am scared of graduating. I am majoring in accounting, which is a highly competitive field, and I am not a competitive type of guy.

I was a Marketing major originally, but realized in this economy that whenever a company loses money that the Marketers are the first ones to go. I've decided to go to Management and Economics. They're not really expendable, along with Accountants. My mom is an Accountant and an accounting teacher. She loves her job, I personally hate accounting so I admire you for doing that.

Im still a ways off from graduating, but when Im done, I want to teach. Just needing some junky part time job while Im in college to fund the little things, as well as tuition and books.

Thankfully, my town has a really awesome junior college and a satelite campus of one of the bigger colleges in my state, so Im just living with the parents to make life easy. Edited by ashes87

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 25 2009, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People always need accountants, especially during tax season...highly recommend just putting yourself out there, maybe advertise on CL once you get your degree, etc...if you're able to work for yourself, it sure as hell beats working for somebody else!!

You guys must be good luck or something because my interview with Wells Fargo turned out incredibly well and I was just offered a position. I am really excited to say the least smile.gif

Accounting & Economics here.

I'm fend to go out for a bank job to keep money coming in over the summer. I manage a tax office but its post-season so its not to busy and I work maybe 8 hours a week at it. I'm making slow progress though but the money from tax season is holding me over.

I'm not feeling too much stress in this economy, especially considering my #1 priority is school at the moment.

I am definitely noticing the bad market... Just graduated from Northern Arizona University with a finance and management double major in May, I've had 2 interviews but nothing really happening... so yeah, bad times

In the Los Angeles Times, today, an article relating to the whole mess.

In May, 2008, the jobless rate in CA was 6.5%, with job seekers 16-19 having an 18.7% jobless rate and in the 20-24 bracket a 10.1% jobless rate.

In May, 2009, the jobless rate is 11.2%, with people 16-19 seeing a 27.8% jobless rate and people 20-24 seeing a 14.3% jobless rate.

Also, another article noted that the gap between unemployed men and unemployed women is growing, more men are going without jobs. The jobless rate for women is going up, but not as fast as it is for men.

Jackie: if you don't like the violence in Mexico, now, wait and see if it crosses into this country. Give it five years. The same exigent circumstances that are creating it are here, too.

I can't recommend highly enough that if you can afford it, stick around for your masters and then your doctorate if at all possible. When the job market goes belly up, those who generally get hired first are those with the most advanced degrees. Actually that's logical because as someone in another industry told me....."Right now I can get a PhD at the salary of a BA grad. So that's who I'm going with." Sure, eventually they'll have to come up, but at least the advanced degrees are working these days- even if at bachelors wages.

'Rani

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 29 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jackie: if you don't like the violence in Mexico, now, wait and see if it crosses into this country. Give it five years. The same exigent circumstances that are creating it are here, too.

It has already crossed over. That is definitely noticeable when living in a border town. It has only recently begun to make headlines in National News but it is something that we deal with daily. Friends having family member slain and Juarez's tourist market plummeting. I've heard from those that still cross that the city has become a skeleton of what it used to be. It has a lot to do with the rising unemployment and subsequent violence. It is something you learn to deal with, but never get used to.

I'm still working on undergrad at the moment, so I'm not really in the market for a manufacturing 9-5 type job... but they are getting rough around here. My father is working every other week and drawing unemployment on off weeks, it's amazing what his employer is doing to keep everyone they can on staff in these tough times.

I'm pretty much just trying to pinch pennies until school starts, maybe I'll be able to get some kids to tutor. Good thing I'm a chemistry major, there's not a lot of us, and a lot of students wanting help.