Job Hunt Frustration

I don't know if this is a serious topic, could be moved to general.

I know most of us are in college, how are you guys finding work....

This is the first summer in a long time I have been unemployed. Im graduating in a year and kinda bummed out....Im not sure what kind of work lies ahead for me. Im in the media field so there are for a lack of a better word morons out there clogging up the job market. Anyone else feel this general frustration?

dude I feel your pain................I'm starting my sophomore year in september and...it's so sad. I just bum around, do chores and smoke shisha....doesn't sound bad but it gets old fast. I NEED MONEY!!! I hope the job market figures itself out....I've applied to over 50 places and none of them want me. I'm a good guy. damnit.

last resort.......ANY job is a good job dont matter if its in a dam flower shop or not if ya get a paycheck at the end of the week bee happy for that cause this World situation isnt goin to make a quick turn around anytime soon... i was in the same boat i just said hell with it went to town DOOR to DOOR no matter what it was askin if they are in need to workers after about 5 hours of looking i came to a discount wine store....stocking they needed work i landed me a job makin $9.75 6 days a week im happy Edited by h00kaJimi

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 5 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if this is a serious topic, could be moved to general.

I know most of us are in college, how are you guys finding work....

This is the first summer in a long time I have been unemployed. Im graduating in a year and kinda bummed out....Im not sure what kind of work lies ahead for me. Im in the media field so there are for a lack of a better word morons out there clogging up the job market. Anyone else feel this general frustration?

I take whatever I can get. I'm still working at Starbucks while I'm in school (3 years and counting) but I'm not above other fast food positions over the summer if I need another job. They're always hiring around here.

I'm planning on working as an EMT within the next 6 months until I can finish up my degree and find a position at a fire department. Edited by Ralleac

I am in the same boat man. I went from working 2 jobs and going to school full time in the fall semester of 08, to one job and full time school in spring semester of 09, to NOTHING except one class this summer. I have just been doing the same, chore around the house, applying to wherever. Gets old VERY fast.

But, I met this girl in college last semester (I go to college 4 hours away from home) and we both just so happened to live in the same town. We have been hanging out this summer a bit, and she introduced me to a few of her friends. I was playing pool with one of her friends last week and we got to talking about job hunting. I told him I had just applied to like 4 of the Family Videos. He then told me that one of them is having open interviews monday. Then, just today I got a call from another of the Family Videos wanting to set up an interview. I am going to call her back tomorrow to set it up. I am really hoping to get one of the two positions.

Seriously though, I have never worked this hard to find a job before. I have gone from being discouraged at $9.00 per hour and not accepting less, to being happy to just HAVE a job. I'll even take minimum wage now. Job market just really sucks. This economy just really sucks. I also went from being a skilled laborer to doing whatever I need to make money (within reason of course).

I went last summer without a job and thus summer isnt looking too great either. Most people think its nice to not have to do anything, but it does get old real quick and having no money isnt good either. I'll be going into my 3rd year of college and would like to save some before I go, but I need a job first!

QUOTE (ryno @ Jun 6 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went last summer without a job and thus summer isnt looking too great either. Most people think its nice to not have to do anything, but it does get old real quick and having no money isnt good either. I'll be going into my 3rd year of college and would like to save some before I go, but I need a job first!

I'll be a senior in college this fall. I have gone this entire time with ONE loan for $2500 (first year I was in college, which I have paid down to $2000) for one semester and that is it. I was hoping to make it out of college without any more loans(I have been working my ass off 40+ hours, working 2 jobs at the same time), but now after this summer it isn't looking too hopeful. But, I am thinking about going to grad school anyway so I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Edited by delSol_si

Electronic Media in short studying how to do anything and everything you see on TV. So pretty much everything I do is only useful when companies are spending money lol

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 6 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Electronic Media in short studying how to do anything and everything you see on TV. So pretty much everything I do is only useful when companies are spending money lol

Haha, and I will be the one determining when and how much money they will be spending. I can show a profit or a loss, whichever I prefer wink.gif .

Does that mean you are the guy that can electronically take the clothes of women?? ie. fake nudies?? If so, could I send you a few pics of some girls I would like to see naked? wink.gif

Those are photoshop skillz...ones which i dont have >.<

But yeah, so remember when someone ask about doing a video say yes, cuz we tech production guys are very poor.

Ive been looking for a job for over 2 months, and Ive had 1 interview, and my interviewer said I dont have enough experience...
No shit.
This got old about a month ago, when I got out of school and moved to my parents house. There is only so much I can do online.

Tati, I know what you meant, partially. That is exactly why I am procrastinating graduation of college. If I wanted, I could graduate in 1 more year, but I decided to drag it out another semester...maybe even 2. And I agree, I would like a management position eventually. You notice what requirement EVERY management position has out there??? Management experience necessary. How the hell do I get experience if I cannot get a job in that field in the first place? I am starting to think you have to work for a place for a long as time and hope you can work your way up to management. I know a lot of people who have tried this and it didn't work though because the company decided it would cost to much to train another person to take the their old job so they could do management. How is that for fair?

Edit: also, getting a job during school is much easier than getting one once you graduate. You can get just about any job when in school because you don't have to worry about benefits like health insurance and such. When you are out of school, the pool of jobs that you can get are limited to those who offer benefits. That is why I am scared...I am just looking for any job and am having a hard time finding one...just shows me how much harder it will be later. Edited by delSol_si

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 8 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You notice what requirement EVERY management position has out there??? Management experience necessary. How the hell do I get experience if I cannot get a job in that field in the first place? I am starting to think you have to work for a place for a long as time and hope you can work your way up to management.

It depends on the job, but that is basically how it happens where I work. You have to apply as an assistant manager. They are trained in everything the manager does. When a manager leaves from any store in the company for whatever reason a bulletin is sent out and anyone interested can apply. The assistant managers automatically have a leg up on outside hires or regular employees because they already know the system, and they have a lot of motivation to go after the position because their pay literally doubles.

• 3 weeks later...
I am bumping this topic because I am completely frustrated trying to find a job and having no luck. I recently moved back home after living in San Antonio for 5 years. Over there I had it made, my own apartment, great money, and a great job. I moved back because I was lacking focus on school and really needed to buckle down. I didn't think it would be such a big deal moving here with the experience that I had. I worked at AT&T making $11/hr PLUS commission. Part-time I was making close to $2000/month (I hate thinking where that money went, but then I look in my closet and see all the purses and shoes). I didn't want to make that much moving home, but I wanted to make something. AT&T wasn't hiring down here. I applied at every other wireless place with no answer. I started applying elsewhere, found a job doing simple office work but was only working 10 hours a week and it barely covered my gas money for driving to where the job was at. Anywho, fast forward to present day, still no job. Not even ONE interview. I've revamped my resume, applied at over 100 jobs. I am completely over this city and want to go back to where I was making bank and see if I can settle down school wise.

The only good thing that has developed is that I have a group interview with Wells Fargo for a teller position on Thursday. Man, I really hope I get this job. I really want to buy a KM soon! tongue.gif

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 24 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the current job market, sucks balls. I have never had this much trouble finding a job before. Thanks Obama.

you really mean thanks Bush Administration for royally fucking us, but props for Obama worrying more about healthcare than the economy

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 24 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the current job market, sucks balls. I have never had this much trouble finding a job before. Thanks Obama.

you really mean thanks Bush Administration for royally fucking us, but props for Obama worrying more about healthcare than the economy

Thanks for correcting me. Guess I should wait a longer time before shifting blame towards Obama. I am glad obama stands being fuel efficient cars as well.

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or giving American Car Companies more money than giving the general public.

This job market is awful. I am over qualified for so many jobs, but won't get hired because I'm not bilingual. Shittiest part about living in a bordertown. Not to mention that you can't cross the border to get cheap tequila without having your life in danger.

I am just trying to get one job, got fired last week from the job I had. I really liked that job too, but I am just to the point of where I will take anything that pays, and is legal. Its just miserable trying to find a job, and I screwed myself yesterday because I went longboarding and screwed up my knee, so I kind of have to wait for that to heal up a little bit before I can continue the job hunt.

Stupid board rolling away from me.

Haven't held a job in 2 years and all I did was mow lawns for 20 a yard. Made decent money but now I work formy dad 5 days a week 7-4 making 13.75 an hour.

I will be able to offer you guys commissioned sales of 50% for the first 3 months of a subscription... starting soon.

PM me for details and if we have talked before.

Can I make a couple of suggestions...eh book suggestions.

These are a few books that changed my life when I was out of college, living with my parents:

48 Days to the Work You Love - Dan Miller (Finding the job you want)
What Color is Your Parachute - Richard Nelson Bolles (Updated Yearly and I believe the 2009 version is out)
No More Mondays - Dan Miller (For those with an Entrepreneurial Spirit)
QBQ: Question Behind the Question - John G. Miller (Removing yourself as an obstacle)
Flipping the Switch - John G. Miller (Expansion off of QBQ)
The Go-Getter - Peter B. Kyne (Quick read and very motivational)
The E-Myth Revisited - Michael Gerber (For those that want to strike out on their own and succeed)
Rhinoceros Success - Scott Alexander (Motivational and a bit over the top, Aussie style)