Best, Most Convenient, Way To Make Coals

If youre tired of cleaning up the kitchen from the ash that is made from the gas or electric range, then i have a solution for you. Plus this method imparts no outside flavoring, propane gas, to the coals and wont smell up the house from coal starting.

Its highly portable and easily cleanable. Sometimes all you need to do is blow off ash.

HOOKAH HOT PLATE

[attachment=3561:hot_plate.jpg]

All you need is a power cord, i bought a dedicated 8ft extension cord for it. then You place the coals on it, then turn on high. When the side touching the coil is half white, then flip. Once the coals are almost white all the way through, take them off with tongs and give a few good blows to make them blow and place on hookah.

These range from about $10-$20. And are worth every penny!

This method is especially good if you take your hookah places as i do. I keep everything in a bag and im good to go.
ill never heat coals any other way again!

ENJOY wink.gif

BTW, Walgreens replaced the black model they sell with a white model. It doesn't get as hot, it burns the plastic when you light coals on it, and it takes longer to heat. Stock up on any of the black ones if you find them.

QUOTE (ryno @ May 12 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of us have something similar, but its from Walgreens. Its dead useful though

I wasnt claiming to be the purveyor a a big secret, i only posted it cuz i saw tons of ppl talkin about using butane torches or stove tops. I was shaking my head, cuz ive done that and its hella messy.

Mine is different and is more oldschool, just a thin black plastic outer encasement with metal catch and coil. It gets super hot and i heat coals while im packin the shisha and prepping everything else. Edited by beachkidcb

QUOTE (Zinite @ May 12 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, Walgreens replaced the black model they sell with a white model. It doesn't get as hot, it burns the plastic when you light coals on it, and it takes longer to heat. Stock up on any of the black ones if you find them.

Ahh, my friend went and bought on the other day, and said he got the last black one they had. Good to know about the new ones.

QUOTE (Zinite @ May 12 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ummm... I have the white one; works like a charm.

Takes me a few minutes on high to light a Coco or CH, one flip generally. Maybe there is ANOTHER white one?

QUOTE (evilded777 @ May 12 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Takes me a few minutes on high to light a Coco or CH, one flip generally. Maybe there is ANOTHER white one?

how long have you had it?
cause i have the white one too, it worked great for a month.. and now it doesn't even get hot enough to get the coils red..
it takes like 25 minutes to start the coals on it..

QUOTE (ElijahSing @ May 12 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (evilded777 @ May 12 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how long have you had it?
cause i have the white one too, it worked great for a month.. and now it doesn't even get hot enough to get the coils red..
it takes like 25 minutes to start the coals on it..

Well... I got it shortly after joining up here. So its gotta be a couple of months at least. It has recently gone from weekend use, to mostly every day use as I have mostly banned quicklights from my sessions and started smoking a LOT more.

QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 12 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i did a search hotplates.com has deals

this one is 1000w and a nice design for $19.99 Great hotplate for cheap

get that and have it for a long time

ah ha you lazy smokers need to to 25 second of research tongue.gif

hmmm... I don't think you're old enough here to be calling people names wink.gif

But that does look pretty sweet. Might make a nice new accessory, since I'm now a confirmed, non-quicklight kinda guy.

I have a Walgreens one. I thought it wasteful for all the heat to go up the chimney, except for the small amount going into the coals. Now I use a pan lid over the entire burner coil, it gets coals ready in like 3 1/2 minutes.

QUOTE (Thermo @ May 12 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plz describe how a hotplate can be used to make coals.

I've got some nice pieces of wood and I'd like to make some charcoal out of it. I've got my hotplate.

What next?

read the second part of my original post [aka scrolling up ^^^] biggrin.gif Edited by beachkidcb

Those burners are amazing and work wonders
but for camping trips and such, i use the small burners that run on the little propane cans
two bucks for a can that lasts me about 2 weeks if not more Edited by MeNouA

QUOTE (smoke eater @ May 12 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Walgreens one. I thought it wasteful for all the heat to go up the chimney, except for the small amount going into the coals. Now I use a pan lid over the entire burner coil, it gets coals ready in like 3 1/2 minutes.

I'd be careful with that. I used to make a foil cover for my coals and one day I noticed a melted plastic smell.... it was the plastic around the edges. Burner still works fine though

QUOTE (Thermo @ May 12 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah ha i dont live in the back woods like the duke's brothers or michael vick used to so i dont have the 'home on the range' space to construct such a contraption.

So ill stick with the age old olive or lemon wood that has been used for centuries tongue.gif

that is interesting though

QUOTE (smoke eater @ May 12 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Thermo @ May 12 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting! Not something I could get away with in my subdivision though.

Neighbors: ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Me in back: iroc-cop.gif

Lol, you probably wouldn't want to use construction grade scrap pinewood/treated pine for your charcoal either - not even for grilling use. I might make a mini version of this and use various hardwood scraps to see if something awesome comes out.

QUOTE (Zinite @ May 12 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine broke in a month after heavy use.

But, its 10$.

QUOTE (redjako @ May 12 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Zinite @ May 12 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine broke in a month after heavy use.

But, its 10$.

look at the one i linked about the 8th post or so, its money and was made in europe, NOT taiwan... its sturdy and durable... i already got one on order after i researched it....

QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 12 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If youre tired of cleaning up the kitchen from the ash that is made from the gas or electric range, then i have a solution for you. Plus this method imparts no outside flavoring, propane gas, to the coals and wont smell up the house from coal starting.

Its highly portable and easily cleanable. Sometimes all you need to do is blow off ash.

HOOKAH HOT PLATE

[attachment=3561:hot_plate.jpg]

All you need is a power cord, i bought a dedicated 8ft extension cord for it. then You place the coals on it, then turn on high. When the side touching the coil is half white, then flip. Once the coals are almost white all the way through, take them off with tongs and give a few good blows to make them blow and place on hookah.

These range from about $10-$20. And are worth every penny!

This method is especially good if you take your hookah places as i do. I keep everything in a bag and im good to go.
ill never heat coals any other way again!

ENJOY wink.gif

Thats what I use in my Bar.