Electric Heated Bowl?

I've heard a lot of ideas on electric heated tops for bowls, but what about heated bowls? I'm talking about a coil going around the bowl itself and heating the shisha, and just foil on top for airflow. Of course, you can't heat it too hot or it'll burn, but just enough heat to cook the shisha all around the bowl, and not just the top.

Any thoughts?

QUOTE (*HOT&SMOKING* @ Apr 10 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might work, I have thought about it as well. But then I thought, if you have problems using a coil on top, you might just have the same problems using a coil around the bowl...but hey you never know..

-H&S

Yes, but heat directly on top will burn the top layer. Heat all around the bowl, at a gentle setting, could simply cook the shisha without burning it.

QUOTE (JDHarding @ Apr 10 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard a lot of ideas on electric heated tops for bowls, but what about heated bowls? I'm talking about a coil going around the bowl itself and heating the shisha, and just foil on top for airflow. Of course, you can't heat it too hot or it'll burn, but just enough heat to cook the shisha all around the bowl, and not just the top.

Any thoughts?

A couple of us talked about this months ago. Like a little tiny slow cooker with a vented glass top. I spoke to an electricianfriend of mine who said it was "doable" but likely not worth it from a financial point of view. Each unit would likely cost over $75 because it's a limited market item, can't really be made on a large scale like "everyday" items, and so probably un-saleable.

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Apr 10 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JDHarding @ Apr 10 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any thoughts?

A couple of us talked about this months ago. Like a little tiny slow cooker with a vented glass top. I spoke to an electricianfriend of mine who said it was "doable" but likely not worth it from a financial point of view. Each unit would likely cost over $75 because it's a limited market item, can't really be made on a large scale like "everyday" items, and so probably un-saleable.

'Rani

That would make sense...and building up a market for it at $75 a piece will not be easy that's for sure..

-H&S

actually if you think about it logically a $75 bowl that never needed coals? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And if people didn't have money they'd just have to break it down into saving a little everytime.

I spend $9 per box of exoticas, so after 2 months that bowl would have paid for itself. lol

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Apr 10 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually if you think about it logically a $75 bowl that never needed coals? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And if people didn't have money they'd just have to break it down into saving a little everytime.

I spend $9 per box of exoticas, so after 2 months that bowl would have paid for itself. lol

It wasn't so much the individual cost that was the problem, but finding someone to manufacturer on that small scale, and frankly we're a minority. There just aren't that many hookah smokers all together let alone those actually willing to plug in their bowl.

'Rani

also think about cleaning such a device!

my hookah is coming, soon....and it will have a working eleectric bowl, or it wont be my final design. dont worry yall i got this shit. Edited by K1024

QUOTE (LJ04 @ Apr 10 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check these heaters out. they're bowl size with a hole already in them. anyone on here make clay bowls? i don't see why one couldn't be embedded in a regular bowl. the disc and ring heaters: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/512/=1e1bjz

two things:

prices start at $40 per for the raw component

also
":Note: Not for use where moisture is present."
They would have to be sealed really well.

Yeah, the question is how would you wash the bowl.

The second problem is, a coil resistance heating element heating a ceramic body would have a very crummy response time, you'd be forever overheating or underheating, because the ceramic is going to take 5 minutes to hat up properly, and unfortunately, the heat requirements of shisha change constantly, and from flavor to flavor and company to company, getting a dynamic heating system to compensate would be impossible.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Apr 11 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
getting a dynamic heating system to compensate would be impossible.

If you were going to use bowl heat exclusively, I totally agree. However, I think there's still a use for it. The heating coils *in* the bowl could be used as supplemental heat to whatever heating source is on top.

I find I get a better smoke when the bowl is well heated. Puts a little less pressure on the coals.

I mentioned this to my R&D department ( a socially maladjusted genius who has barely left his apartment for 10 years), and now he keeps sending me links and ideas.

He suggested a solder pot for lighting up coals, and is sending me links for those and heating elements.

For anyone who wants to take the ball and run with it:

Here are a couple of promising hookah coal heaters. You would
probably need a variac or other step down transformer for the coffee pot.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsec...16/category/155

The iron one should work as is, but use heat resistant wire. Here aresome solder pots that are probably too expensive, but the replacementheaters might work.

http://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/in...;cat=solderpots
There used to be electrically heated soldering copper stands whichcould be perfect for you (I have one, but it is ancient and verydangerous looking), but it seems only propane ones are made now.

Hi Chuck,
MCM has cheap solder pots,
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENM...7339NB-/21-3511 . The
ones I've seen elsewhere are several times more money. MCM frequently
put them on sale, so go through the fliers online. You need to enter a
flier code to get the discount. You sometimes see various heating
elements surplus, and you can find nichrome wire surplus and at Antique
Elec. Supply.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Apr 11 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the question is how would you wash the bowl.

The second problem is, a coil resistance heating element heating a ceramic body would have a very crummy response time, you'd be forever overheating or underheating, because the ceramic is going to take 5 minutes to hat up properly, and unfortunately, the heat requirements of shisha change constantly, and from flavor to flavor and company to company, getting a dynamic heating system to compensate would be impossible.

Who said it'd be ceramic? I was thinking glass. Also, I never said the coil would be in the bowl material. Just build a coil shaped "cone" that the bowl slides into, with little locking clamps that clamp around the top rim of the bowl so the coil doesn't slip off. Put foil on the bowl first, then lock the clamps over the rim. Voila. When done, and after it's cooled, remove the coil, and wash the bowl by itself.

Heat management is deffinately a major concern, though. It'd require some sort of digital heat managing system that has to be precisely accurate in temp, with quick and easy temp response controls. Yeah, we're not talking $40 or $75, I'm thinking we're going into the hundreds at this point.

The point is, if you use a poor conductor of heat, whether ceramic or glass, the coil comes on, and heats the glass, but it takes longer to heat the glass and the temperature will creep up slowly, making it difficult to hit the exact setting...how high is too high and then 20 minutes later, after the bowl's temperature would go up, or the heat requirement goes up, the heater has to keep kicking up.

• 1 year later...
[font="'Times New Roman"][size="2"]Thanks for all the details! I think you all gave me half an idea. 1st) I doesn't need to get as hot as a soldering pot necessarily. If you use a better conductor like a [b]Lodge Spoon Rest / Ash Tray[/b]
[/size][size="2"] [/size][url="http://www.castironcookware.com/lodge-spoon-rest.html"]http://www.castironcookware.com/lodge-spoon-rest.html[/url]. More to come. . .[/font]

• 4 years later...