Breathing Problems

ok, so i have asthma and have been smoking for awhile, but recently ive been getting, well not short of breath but like its somewhat hard to breathe. (hard to explain) Someone told me to do 20 mins of cardio everyday to keep my lungs somewhat in shape, so ive been swimming everyday now. But my question is, do any of you have this problem? should i take a break from smoking for the weekend? i was thinking it would be a good idea to take a short break. please no smart ass remarks like DUDE YOUR SMOKING WHAT DO YOU EXPECT.

so he doesnt smoke at all anymore? what caused that?

well i was reading up online right now, and i guess i could explain it as "shallow breathing" as im not really "short of breath" persay. but the cause of that is heat exhaustion. hmmm maybe. i have the symptoms but who knows Edited by smidge

Well my friend also had Asthma. Along with him wanting to stop..his parents freaked out when he told them about his breathing problem and they told forced him to quit. He hardly smokes now.

I get some chest pain every once in a while if I'm at work. That's mostly in a place where chemicals are used to clean the conveyors and part of the time you dont have much choice but to just bear it. If I get a day off though, usually I dont get the pains. It's just overtaxing yourself that may be the culprit. If you breath shallow for a time, deep breaths will hurt a bit, or if you hold your breath. Swimming makes one hold their breath and only do short, forced breaths during the time you're expending yourself. Your body may not be used to it. It takes about 4 weeks to get yourself used to the exertion.

personally I would recommend some running/jogging/running combo. Not this long distance shit that a lot of people do. Best way to get in shape is to jog/run until you get tired, then walk, then jog/run. Alternate them for a set distance or for a set time. Always gets my metabolism going and my lungs back in shape.

My dad smoked for years before he was told he had asthma so you should be ok, it's just your lungs saying "dude what the fuck?" a day or two off wouldn't hurt you. I actually take a day or two off so it tastes even better when I smoke again.

Having asthma is a burden. I have it and I used to smoke quite often but now i only smoke 3-8 times a month. In my honest opinion, smoking and asthma belong on the opposite ends of the spectrum so you have to choose wisely on where you would like to be.

A good way is rating your health at 1 and smoking hookah at a 10. now choose a postition you feel your okay with.

I used to feel i was okay at about position 8 smoking 4-5 times a week and now I have prioritized my health a little bit higher.

good luck with the choice man

I would say take a week off, 2 day's isn't gonna do much... I just got over being sick for a week and I can tell the difference of not smoking for the past week.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 20 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personally I would recommend some running/jogging/running combo. Not this long distance shit that a lot of people do. Best way to get in shape is to jog/run until you get tired, then walk, then jog/run. Alternate them for a set distance or for a set time. Always gets my metabolism going and my lungs back in shape.

My dad smoked for years before he was told he had asthma so you should be ok, it's just your lungs saying "dude what the fuck?" a day or two off wouldn't hurt you. I actually take a day or two off so it tastes even better when I smoke again.

Interval training FTW.
I'd go along with this suggestion and do some light jogging with sprints mixed in. Best thing for me is doing this on a track, jog the corners and sprint the straights. Really get the lungs working and blood pumping.

I don't have any breathing issues (knock on wood) but my throat was getting really demolished and I would wake up feeling like shit. I took a day or two off and I felt a lot better. I was gonna go for three days but peer pressure =/

Smidge, I notice you're in SoCal. All week I've noticed (besides the ungodly 100+ heat(thats 38+ for you godless europeans) the SF valley and southward has had a poisonous brown haze. The smog has been really nasty. I've had a few respiratory problems lately, and haven't even felt like smoking. Last time I felt this fucked up was '94, when there was a high benzene component to our wonderful LA air. Albuterol and lots of antioxidants may help. OverOverdose (and then some more) on Vitamin C if your system can handle it. Unfortunately, it aggravates my ulcers, so I just try to stay out of it.