Electric Hookah

WesleyPipes

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Apr 8 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put a larger clay pot over the heating element to help trap the heat and I used a common light switch to regulate the heat; still, it didn't work.

A light switch won't vary the temperature. Use a pentiometer.

If you're getting too much heat, reduce the amount of resistance(uncoil your wire some). If you aren't getting enough heat, do the opposite.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (teq @ Apr 8 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (VDDZ @ Apr 8 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put a larger clay pot over the heating element to help trap the heat and I used a common light switch to regulate the heat; still, it didn't work.

A light switch won't vary the temperature. Use a pentiometer.

If you're getting too much heat, reduce the amount of resistance(uncoil your wire some). If you aren't getting enough heat, do the opposite.

What is a pentiometer? A potentiometer is no use if you are plugging into a wall socket, but for apparatuses with less than say 50 watts you can get a regular pot. You can also find rheostats for $20 on eBay, which would probabally work better if you are working with 120V/15A wall sockets.

QUOTE (Plain Old Me @ Apr 8 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is a pentiometer? A potentiometer is no use if you are plugging into a wall socket, but for apparatuses with less than say 50 watts you can get a regular pot. You can also find rheostats for $20 on eBay, which would probabally work better if you are working with 120V/15A wall sockets.

Typo.

oh wow that thing is neat!! I have to use my engineering skills and make one.

Read that article people... you can adjust the heat, pick different flavors to smoke all with the same hookah!

I varied the temp with the light switch (I turned it on and off). I had a potentiometer, it came with the the heater so you could vary the temp, it poped on me.

I wonder if that dudes hookah really works, I mean I could fool some people into believing mine worked, it even did, just not for long. I'm starting to be less and less of a believer in the electric hookah coal...

I'm sure his worked. That's an intense hookah.

I have one that works now but it is enclosed in wood and the wood starts to burn.

So once I find something else to use that won't burn all should be well, any ideas?

If you guys still don't believe and want to see wood/tobacco burning, let me know hah.

It looks like he just took a portable stove and placed it on top of the hookah. He failed to do what we are all trying to do, make a small, heating element that sits on top of the bowl. What he did is horribly inneficient, and I guarentee he never uses it.

wesleypipes, have you measured your current yet? huh.gif

it would seem from your guys finding that you need a 2 setting pressure activated 'coal' one thats at idle temp, and one that is at smoking temp... two coils would be easiest i guess
but you have to set the burning and idling temps first! ohmy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I had one that was mounted inside of a wooden frame that worked. Problem was it would start to burn wood after it was on for more than 10 minutes.

It did work at 1.6 amps with 35 guage wire.

Forgot how much actual wire I used, but you can figure it out with 1.6 = 120/x.

The wire was in 2 grids above the tobacco, this seemed to work better.

But now I have moved on to hydrogen boosters for cars, so if any of you are interested in getting some solid gas mileage let me know.

QUOTE (mj_b90 @ May 2 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wesleypipes, still no word on your trials?

QUOTE (WesleyPipes @ May 3 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But now I have moved on to hydrogen boosters for cars, so if any of you are interested in getting some solid gas mileage let me know.

You mean like the kind that produces hydrogen on-demand? Like THIS?!?! Either way, shoot me a PM cuz I'm looking to try this out myself.

• 3 weeks later...
wow what a let down.

hydrogen boosting seems interesting, just electrolysis of water to produce hydrogen and oxygen. looking at all the sites they have around on this topic, it is amazing how many cons out there are about.... many claim their vehicles will run purely on water tongue.gif yeaaaah right. it is impossible, and if it WERE possible they would be dead now!

any energy source that would threaten oil would disappear fairly soon methinks dry.gif

• 2 weeks later...
You can run it completely on water for a little while, but it is not possible to do it forever.

You would have to keep recharging your battery because the power you get from combusting hydrogen is less than the power it takes to produce the gas.

QUOTE (WesleyPipes @ Jun 8 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can run it completely on water for a little while, but it is not possible to do it forever.

You would have to keep recharging your battery because the power you get from combusting hydrogen is less than the power it takes to produce the gas.

Not true. That is what the alternator does.

Can you imagine driving a Hydrogen powered car in the city today, with the way people drive? Id be scared shitless sitting in a mini hydrogen bomb

Haha voski....I used to think that same thing. People would be doing it right now if the alternator really could keep up with the current draw of your booster.

It doesn't work, you would have to add more batteries, or add another way of charging them at the same time such as how hybrids batteries get recharged when they brake.

QUOTE (WesleyPipes @ Jun 8 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha voski....I used to think that same thing. People would be doing it right now if the alternator really could keep up with the current draw of your booster.

It doesn't work, you would have to add more batteries, or add another way of charging them at the same time such as how hybrids batteries get recharged when they brake.

I thought in theory it works like a normal engine except it burns hyrogen not gasoline. Are you saying water powered as in your splitting H20 and then burning it? Or directly pumping hyrodgen into the tank?

Right now all a hydrogen booster does is allow you to lean out your fuel mixture, then burn the smaller amount completely. This means better gas mileage.

A water powered car would burn just hydrogen and oxygen since both are products of the electrolysis, but if you did that it would take mad batteries to keep up, or a better way of splitting the water up.

guys, really, think about it

to run on water completely you would need above 100% energy transfer.

this is impossible.

if you are charging the battery with the hydrogen you split from the oxygen to power the engine to turn the altenator. and then putting enough energy to maintain that cycle.. well its just not possible, than AFTER THAT you still have move the car....

i guess now that i think about it, hydrogen powered is a little bit like charging your car (ie super/turbo)

seriously, im smelling a heap of bullshit angry.gif

also, on the subject of driving around a mini hydrogen bomb... the idea is you produce hydrogen on demand. ie not store it. Hydrogen has a very low energy density, to store enough to even come close to the energy density of petrol youd have to have it under extreme pressure, which is very dangerous! hence why we dont see many of them around!

electric powered vehicles are the only way forward, however until we find a lightweigh viable power source they still wont quite beat gas power for convinience.