Hmm.

I can't speak for starbuzz as i don't smoke it. But i dont' worry about the shisha touching the foil. Better to get a nice full bowl (within reason)

but mostly thick clouds comes down to heat management. I use a windcover to regulate the heat in the bowl.

JD

You will def get better smoke using Foil over a Screen.. But some Reynolds Wrap and a windcover and should be blowing billows of clouds in no time.

QUOTE (sk1zz0t @ Feb 13 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, wow.. I actually never even considered heat management as a factor.

So, you think a screen would be a good investment? Me and my friends use the 3 kings circle coals, but we don't really pay very special attention to them. We move them around and switch them out when necessary but nothing more than the occasional check up.

It takes special attention and practice to a screen. I love mine and don't go without. But its a personal preference and experience when it comes to them. Most people that are waaaay more experienced and learned than me use foil. So its your call. I'd say for starts stick with the foil and maybe give the screen a try sometime after you've perfected foil. Screens take a lot more attention, hastle, and skill. I generally take the screen off 4 times during my smoke and dump the coals. This rids the ash. The regular ash method used on a screen gets lots of ashes in the bowl since the holes are rather large.
Once again, I love screens, but its all personal preference.

I dont really care for ashing that much..

1. Light Coals
2. Put on bowl
3. Smoke
4. Be Done

When im using my phunnel/superchief I probably just move the coals once.. dont even ash all that often.

I've found that using foil only burns the shisha too quickly, so I use a jury rigged setup. A screen with foil around the edges to seal it a little better. works flawlessly

In terms of copious amounts of smoke the best brand I’ve found (that one can acquire state side) is Al-Fakher, though a general rule of thumb is “more heat, more smoke”. The only issue with that mentality is… More heat, harsh burnt bowl!

Only recently have I started smoking Star Buzz and have found it is tip-top in terms of flavor but not in smoke without an odd burnt Okey after taste. As far as preparation: lightly fluffed and resting in the bowl, no Tobacco touching the leading edge of the foil, and two 33’s as far opposite each other on the sides of the bowl. Star Buzz has shown to require special attention in heat distribution for the simple fact of its immense amount of sugar and molasses content; which is necessary for there achievement of wonderful tastes. As such I would suggest mixing it with something very dry and potent like El Nakhla. Nakhla Mango and Star Buzz Strawberry Margarita complement each other very well and give a well desired fog!

If all else fails… Wind a covers work well as miniature ovens, though can be very squffy in that a bowl can start burning harsh at the drop of hat. I try to avoid wind covers and stick with just coals, however Star Buzz seems to be a “special needs” Tobacco in terms of high heat, much to the opposite effect of Tangiers.

Best advise: fluff don’t pack!

QUOTE (clickhea @ Feb 13 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the foil is burning the shisha too quickly because your using too much heat

Of course. That's the only reason why the shisha would burn too fast. I already know that, what I don't know is why using foil would make enough heat to burn through a whole bowl of nakhla in 20 minutes with one 3 kings coal. Whenever I use the screen I end up having a 2 hour session with 3 coals before it starts to taste burnt.

My wife and I go through at least a bowl a night, and we've never had a problem with our setup. I'm not sure how the rigged screen/foil on the edges works, but I imagine ours is similar. We just completely cover the screen with foil, and then poke new holes in the top of the foil with our coal tongs. It's simple, and very effective... plus it's really quick, even if you're sloppy with poking holes there are always holes in the screen below.