Air Flow/drag Ideas...?

hookahmon

Ok I just recently built a hookah out of a water cooler tank and i've been a hookah smoker for a little while now. Anyway, now im addicted to the whole hookah building thing, but I'm not particularly wise on the subject. If I understand correctly, the longer the smoke is exposed to water, the cooler, smoother, and more filtered it will be. I know that the deeper the stem goes into the water the harder the drag will be. My question is: Is there any way to keep the smoke underwater longer without increasing the drag?

Maybe it could sort of just be redirect with barriers.
Heres a diagram of what I was kind of thinking, but I really doubt would work:
[attachment=1016:hookahgram.gif]

Hopefully someone has some sweet ideas for this...

Keeping it under water long isn't really going to help much of anything. Use a diffuser which will make the bubbles smaller without making the drag harder. The smaller bubbles will give them more contact with the water biggrin.gif

QUOTE (oino @ Feb 6 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could put a peculator in the stem some how.

But the smoke has to come from the bottom.

That is a really interesting idea. I would like to see a hookah made like this, would even give the smoke more time to expand and cool. I could see the vase having a point where the the stem goes into the bottom area, so just a longer stem. Also making it so the stem never touches the water and less likely to corrod over time. A really good idea (*gets that dr frankenstein look on his face*)...maybe when I have some spare time/money I will experiment.

QUOTE (gr!m @ Feb 6 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a really interesting idea. I would like to see a hookah made like this, would even give the smoke more time to expand and cool. I could see the vase having a point where the the stem goes into the bottom area, so just a longer stem. Also making it so the stem never touches the water and less likely to corrod over time. A really good idea (*gets that dr frankenstein look on his face*)...maybe when I have some spare time/money I will experiment.

I was actaully trying to think of a way that it could come from the bottom... but I dont get exactly what a percolator does. Is it just the fact that the stem has to pass through the water and the smoke would cool somewhat while still in the stem? Or is it just a really hard core diffuser? Or would the heat of the smoke cause it to rise up through the stem and reduce the force of drag? Hmmm this idea is very interesting...

And another really crazy random question: Would it be a bad idea to basically completely reverse a hookah? In other words I basically just want to know how terrible of an idea it would be to have the shisha above the coal. My guess is really bad, but I have no clue...

I felt like stuffing some diagrams in here:
[attachment=1034:percolatorgram.gif]

and if thats a bad idea maybe this?:
[attachment=1035:percolatorgram2.gif] Edited by hookahmon

Would the heat of the smoke cause it to rise up through the stem and reduce the force of drag if the stem came from the bottom with a design similar to a percolator?

And another really crazy random question: Would it be a bad idea to basically completely reverse a hookah? In other words I basically just want to know how terrible of an idea it would be to have the shisha above the coal. My guess is really bad, but I have no clue... And yea I know I posted this as a reply but I think it ws kind of misplaced.

[attachment=1045:percolatorgram.gif]

[attachment=1046:percolatorgram2.gif]

QUOTE (QuiltedMaple @ Feb 8 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spiffy diagrams, only problem I see is putting the stem in the box.

Put like 5 percs in there, and then stack five boxes up, that'd be tiiight.

-QM

That would actually be a really sweet idea, at least it would look insane. Actually, If there was just one vase I figured maybe somehow I could just have a removable lid on top as long as it was airtight somehow...

I think I might just go to yard sales this summer looking for junk to turn into ridiculous hookahs... haha
But thats a long time from now...

QUOTE (hookahmon @ Feb 8 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would the heat of the smoke cause it to rise up through the stem and reduce the force of drag if the stem came from the bottom with a design similar to a percolator?

And another really crazy random question: Would it be a bad idea to basically completely reverse a hookah? In other words I basically just want to know how terrible of an idea it would be to have the shisha above the coal. My guess is really bad, but I have no clue... And yea I know I posted this as a reply but I think it ws kind of misplaced.

Your idea is sound, its been done before:

http://www.amazon.com/Hookah-Table-Round-T...666&sr=1-49

Although I reckon it would be very hard to clean such a shisha

The perc isnt the main water filter. The perc is a secondary water contact point. There is actually 3 tubes not 2 and the tubes also diffuse the smoke through 6 slits in the tubes. Its hard to explain. I would post a picture but it wouldnt fly with the rules. So all I can tell you is to look up roors or PHx's on google. Or just search percolator on google vidoes or something...

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Feb 9 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man good luck cleaning any of those...

Im thinking of trying to find a containter with a removable airtight top. Then just cutting a hole in the bottom and maybe making the stem several parts so the straight part can be permanently attached and less likely to leak. Either way, at least some of the stem could just be removed from the top.

QUOTE (gr!m @ Feb 6 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've seen one like this its in the form of a coffee table.

I found a container with a large lid on top to use for this idea. It doesn't seem real sturdy though so I thought I'd ask if anyone had a good idea for keeping it from folding in, just in case the air pressure is too high for it to remain rigid. Maybe I should just find somehting better to use, but this is really just a test to see if I can do it. Either way, I'd be interested in anyones ideas.

if its not sturdy enough try reinforcing it on the inside or outside with some sort of support beams... im not sure what would work while hoping to maintain aesthetics. i dont think you should limit yourself to things with removable lids, as you can easily make things have removable lids.

i was originally thinking something like a plastic milk jug, but im not sure if thats big enough for these purposes... maybe something like a jug thats much bigger than that. like get one of htose HUGE bottles of pine-sol from costco, cut it into two about 1/3 of the way down... and use that. to make the two ends re-connectable to each other make a sort of slide on jig.... like some other piece of plastic or cardboard on the inside of the bottom half that protrudes up a little so that the top part can slide onto it.

that might sound really confusing... ill draw up diagrams if your confused

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Feb 16 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if its not sturdy enough try reinforcing it on the inside or outside with some sort of support beams... im not sure what would work while hoping to maintain aesthetics. i dont think you should limit yourself to things with removable lids, as you can easily make things have removable lids.

i was originally thinking something like a plastic milk jug, but im not sure if thats big enough for these purposes... maybe something like a jug thats much bigger than that. like get one of htose HUGE bottles of pine-sol from costco, cut it into two about 1/3 of the way down... and use that. to make the two ends re-connectable to each other make a sort of slide on jig.... like some other piece of plastic or cardboard on the inside of the bottom half that protrudes up a little so that the top part can slide onto it.

that might sound really confusing... ill draw up diagrams if your confused

Yea definitely confused... Diagrams would be useful just so I have another Idea if this doesn't work. Its actually not even a transparent container, so the aesthetics part probably wont matter anyway. It would be nice to know what your talking about in case I need it in the future, so if you get around to it, diagrams would be great.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Feb 16 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to think though, having 2 stems into the water doubles the amount of strength you need for the pull. Plus 2 bends, that increases the amount you need to overcome to inhale the smoke.

The bends inthe diagram wont effect the pull at all i believe, and there being 2 stems doesnt really matter because they dont really have a set diameter.

Overall this diagram would work but there seems to be no added benefiet compared to branching a normal stem into 2 pipes, rather than some complex loop that brings air in from the bottom.

QUOTE (Stealth @ Feb 17 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Feb 16 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to think though, having 2 stems into the water doubles the amount of strength you need for the pull. Plus 2 bends, that increases the amount you need to overcome to inhale the smoke.

The bends inthe diagram wont effect the pull at all i believe, and there being 2 stems doesnt really matter because they dont really have a set diameter.

Overall this diagram would work but there seems to be no added benefiet compared to branching a normal stem into 2 pipes, rather than some complex loop that brings air in from the bottom.

There isn't any added benefit from buy a convertible instead of normal car, but its cool...

So yea, you might be right that it doesn't really have any benefit, but have you ever tried it? I don't know, but it could possibly be a more efficient design considering heat rises. Who knows...

QUOTE (hookahmon @ Feb 8 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only one who sees a dude waving his junk around in these diagrams? I really need to grow up.

QUOTE (FlyingCostello @ Feb 19 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hookahmon @ Feb 8 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only one who sees a dude waving his junk around in these diagrams? I really need to grow up.

Yea I definitely thought of that after I made it, so if you ever want to make a REALLY disturbing hookah that diagram might be helpful.