Air Flow/drag Ideas...?

hookahmon

There is this thing, it's called a diffuser and basically what it does is it breaks up the smoke into smaller bubbles so that there is more sureface area for the water to contact. You can buy these from most hookah websites. The best one is called the Heba Diffuser. Or you can make your own. Basically what you need is anything that will fit on the bottom of your downstem and has a bunch of little holes. The easiest thing to make it out of is a filter that is usually used in lawn sprinklers and can be found at your local hardware store, but lots of other things will work.

Well, you could have something crazy thats wide and shallow with the smoke coming from the bottom only have a series of screens (say 3) running at fixed places along the base, that way when the smoke comes out the screens force the bubbles to continuously break up into smaller bubbles and the shallowness of the water would make it a light drag. You could even make it out of a tupperware container really. Maybe Ill make a 3d model to help better illustrate.

Alright, I spent about an hour modeling what I was talking about. Bear in mind that it's just a concept and I'm not sure how building it would go but here...
Side:
Angle:
Top Angle:

and this is with the refraction of the water and glass... I didn't add it before because it was too confusing as far as seeing the design, but it looks more realistic...

Tell me what you think

Oh no! That looks like Copper! aRe you insane!!11

But that seems like a very good idea. It wouldent have to be that massive though, and actually i would make the devider in between only have holes around the very sides, making the bubbles travel horrizontally through the water as opposed to just diffusing them.

WOW... that is what I call effort. Those are some sweet diagrams. The only problem I see with it is the fact that the water would fill up a lot of the stem . I suppose if it didn't enter at the center of the bottom , the stem could bend sooner and wouldnt fill up too much... I dont really know, but anyway this could be something really sweet to mess with.

QUOTE (Stealth @ Feb 29 2008, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that seems like a very good idea. It wouldent have to be that massive though, and actually i would make the devider in between only have holes around the very sides, making the bubbles travel horrizontally through the water as opposed to just diffusing them.

Yea I had thought of that before, but I figured it would just mean you would need to create more air pressure (aka hard pull). Does anyone know anything about stuff like that? I was also wondering if it would make a difference if rather than a perfectly horizontal divider, a slightly sloped divider was used so it would take advantage of the whole "air density/tendency to reach the surface" thing.

[attachment=1159:hokahgram27.jpg]

I think this might be something that just needs to be tested....

QUOTE (hookahmon @ Feb 29 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Stealth @ Feb 29 2008, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I had thought of that before, but I figured it would just mean you would need to create more air pressure (aka hard pull). Does anyone know anything about stuff like that? I was also wondering if it would make a difference if rather than a perfectly horizontal divider, a slightly sloped divider was used so it would take advantage of the whole "air density/tendency to reach the surface" thing.

[attachment=1159:hokahgram27.jpg]

I think this might be something that just needs to be tested....

Yea, the slight slopes kinda what i'm talking about too, you could even do a spiral sort of thing that leads the bubbles up to the top ; like a maze dirrecting the bubbles to the surface. And your right about the water in the tube. You can always just have it comeing from the top like a traditional hookah. For some reason people are obsessed with having the stem coming from the bottom right now...

in order to keep the pull at the same degree of difficulty, you have to match whatever you make to the normal hookah pull. (lots of math i will not do) the volume of water that must be displaced by the smoke in order for it to bubble is what im talking about. you have the 3/8 tube going into the water, about an inch. thats what determines how hard it is to pull. diffusers are good because it does not mess with the volume, it just separates it, thus more surface area on the bubbles, more cooling/filtration. the spiffy diagram with the screens works in theory, but that would have to fit into that one inch or so of water depth to get a normal pull. otherwise you have to have iron lungs to drag on it.

the best thing i can come up with is to get 5-10 tiny tubes to split of your main one like normal to make them go deeper into the water. the total volume of the tubes combined would have to be equal to the "resting" volume of the regular tube.

anyone follow that?

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (kounter @ Mar 5 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in order to keep the pull at the same degree of difficulty, you have to match whatever you make to the normal hookah pull. (lots of math i will not do) the volume of water that must be displaced by the smoke in order for it to bubble is what im talking about. you have the 3/8 tube going into the water, about an inch. thats what determines how hard it is to pull. diffusers are good because it does not mess with the volume, it just separates it, thus more surface area on the bubbles, more cooling/filtration. the spiffy diagram with the screens works in theory, but that would have to fit into that one inch or so of water depth to get a normal pull. otherwise you have to have iron lungs to drag on it.

the best thing i can come up with is to get 5-10 tiny tubes to split of your main one like normal to make them go deeper into the water. the total volume of the tubes combined would have to be equal to the "resting" volume of the regular tube.

anyone follow that?

Wouldn't that be basically the same as a diffuser or do I just not understand?

The length of water exposure only affects the amount of moisture in the smoke. More moisture just leads to less smoke. Ideally, the temperature of the smoke is what you're trying to change.

If you haven't tried crushed ice, that would be a good place to start. The reason behind this is that smaller particles in larger quantities have a larger relative surface area when conducting with similar sized gaseous particles.

If you find that this is still not enough, go for a combination of cubed ice and crushed ice. The variance in size will act as a better turbulator, which will create more bubbles and surface area contact.

• 2 weeks later...
im sorry to say but youre idea would not work. you will have water in your "copper downstem" thats the same water level as your tank. its going to take some lung power to suck all of that water down (because its going to want to go up to be equal with the rest of the water) why not just buy a KM and fit it with a difusor? it's probably going to cost a little more, around a hundred bucks, but will pull better, smoke better, look better and be better. but if you really wanted to go nuts you could attach a hair drier with a hotter heating element ( thinner guage wire) to the top of a bowl made for your contraption and make it an forced smoke deally then drag wouldnt matter, oud just pick up the hose wich already has smoke coming out of it and suck in, then pass it, smoke still coming out and so on and so forth, but to make it even better you could put it on a turn table and have it rotate, to make it even better you could simply buy a heba.