Un On Tasers

TheScotsman

The United Nations Committee against Torture has declared tasers a form of torture.

The resolution opens the doors for civil litigation against agencies, and personnel employing them, as well as making their use by military personnel a war crime. It is going to be pretty hard for any agency to defend against the use of a weapon of torture in any circumstance. There are going to be some rich lawyers off this. Since it would be a violation of a civil right to get tased, the officer would be personally civilly liable, in a civil case the burden of proof is significantly lower, not to mention the $ come from the person, not the dept. Insurance companies would be quick to remove even the thought of a taser if anyone wanted coverage. The new quote could become... don't tase me bro, or you are gonna get sued." The use of a taser is torture according to the UN... good enough for me. Put me on the first civil suit jury against a cop there... PLEASE! biggrin.gif

Damn, who would believe the UN making a good decision on ANYTHING. My hat is off to them.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Nov 26 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The United Nations Committee against Torture has declared tasers a form of torture.

The resolution opens the doors for civil litigation against agencies, and personnel employing them, as well as making their use by military personnel a war crime. It is going to be pretty hard for any agency to defend against the use of a weapon of torture in any circumstance. There are going to be some rich lawyers off this. Since it would be a violation of a civil right to get tased, the officer would be personally civilly liable, in a civil case the burden of proof is significantly lower, not to mention the $ come from the person, not the dept. Insurance companies would be quick to remove even the thought of a taser if anyone wanted coverage. The new quote could become... don't tase me bro, or you are gonna get sued." The use of a taser is torture according to the UN... good enough for me. Put me on the first civil suit jury against a cop there... PLEASE! biggrin.gif

Damn, who would believe the UN making a good decision on ANYTHING. My hat is off to them.

Have a link?

And since the US government has never ratified the ICC, no cop can be tried there. Moreover, since the current US administration has done away with the Geneva Protocol against torture, this won't have any effect in the US at all.

wow.....Tasers as Torture......I've been tasered....have to say it wasn't that bad...nothing "torturous" anyways...of course in the wrong hands it could be used as a torture device...but seriously.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Nov 27 2007, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd take a taser before I'd take a bullet anyday.

You completely miss the point.
No cop would get away with drawing, much less discharging a weapon against someone for refusing to sign a ticket, or having a diabetic coma.

The problem is that like most "tools" you give cops, (or courts for that matter) there is an underlying desire to overuse/abuse them. The concept of the taser, in the right circumstance, is a good one, but in reality they are unregulated, overused, and abused by our "trusted" guardians in blue.

OC is not even a challenge, that stuff is lame, even as a hot sauce.

Why is this an issue. Do what the officer tells you and wow you can walk away with just a simple ticket. But no, people want to be hardasses. You cant give me that, this is bullshit, I am not taking that ticket when I know I was speeding. You break the law, you pay for it. These people wouldn't last a day in a foreign country. Talk back to a cop yeah, thats a smart move.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Nov 27 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I agree with everything you just said. I just said I'd take a taser over a bullet anyday.

I have never had the honor of either, but neither is on my entertainment "A" list either. wink.gif

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Nov 27 2007, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is this an issue. Do what the officer tells you and wow you can walk away with just a simple ticket. But no, people want to be hardasses. You cant give me that, this is bullshit, I am not taking that ticket when I know I was speeding. You break the law, you pay for it. These people wouldn't last a day in a foreign country. Talk back to a cop yeah, thats a smart move.

I guess by that logic they should have shock-tortured the civil rights marchers in the '60's!

Or it was just fine for the military to shoot students at Kent state....

Or hell, we should have had some cop step on the bus with Rosa Parks, and light her up with a cattle prod.
Damn, that logic means MLK should have been taser-murdered by a big gang of cops for not listening to them!

I suppose, by your logic, then Frederick Willaims, needed 5 zaps while he was handcuffed, and restrained by a whole pile of cops. Not only did they have him already restrained, but they had time to go get nitrile gloves before torturing him. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...h&plindex=0

You support that garbage? I feel sorry for you... almost.

They blame the deaths on "excited delirium", yet the AMA, and the diagnostic manual for mental disorders does not acknowledge such a condition, and it only seems to happen with tasers. How about we change death by gunfire to "excitable blood leakage" then the cops can disavow any responsibility for shootings too!

We have a right against the use of torture, and one would think any person that purported to support one amendment would have the totality of thinking to support them all... but in typical republican fashion, it appears to be smorgasbord civil rights, you just pick what you want, and condone the abuses against those you don't.