One Punch Hole Poker. With Pictures!

CarlKillerMiller

I got a little bit sick of using a pocketknife to punch a hundred holes in a sheet of foil every time that I wanted to smoke a bowl, so with about three bucks and an hour of time, I made a fast, easy hole poker. Observe!

It starts out with a stack of three circles of foamboard cut to the size of the top of my phunnel. I started to drive very thin finishing nails into the three circles of foamboard. The best way to do this it to push them in a bit, then use a bottlecap or something as a thimble to push them in the rest of the way. You'll end up with this nice little number:

You're going to have to take a pair of needlenose pliers, or something thin like that, to push the nails in the middle of the circles further into the foam (I used the poker on my Mya tongs). This is because while you're punching the foil, it will bend inward due to the pressure. Pushing the middle nails further in counteracts this. You'll end up with this:

Once you've done all this, place the poker dead-center over the foil, then rock it forward, backward, left, and right. his will get you cleaner holes without as much bending of the foil.

Enjoy!

Yeah there's a company that issues plastic ones with a pattern, but it only works for smaller bowls because the pattern area is small.
Smoking-Hookah.com sent it to me.
Just so you know, the idea has already been patented and mass-produced.

Good tool you made though!
More effective than that plastic thing I got.
I think I'll post a pic sometime soon.

hate to burst your bubble, but IMO that is WAY too many holes for a phunnel. i probably have 3/16ths the amt of holes you have. this may also be your problem with not getting the phunnel to work.

2 concentric circles on a phunnel. the outer one has about 20 holes MAX, the inner has about 10.

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Sep 30 2007, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hate to burst your bubble, but IMO that is WAY too many holes for a phunnel. i probably have 3/16ths the amt of holes you have. this may also be your problem with not getting the phunnel to work.

2 concentric circles on a phunnel. the outer one has about 20 holes MAX, the inner has about 10.

Not necessarily true. I use a thumb tack to make my holes on every bowl. For the phunnel I make 3 rings. The outer ring has each hole gapped 1mm. I am sure you can do the math on that. Probably end up with more than 50 along the outer rim. 40 on the next one in and maybe 20 for the 3rd as I skip more spaces.

• 7 months later...
I found a bowl, just a reg one) only requires about 22 holes for a LARGE mouth bowl. I use a # sign pattern and punch it with a mechanical pencil, works awesome every time.

But congrats on the hole puncher I had thought about making one of my own too.