Let's Make Our Own Hookah Etiquette List

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of Eric's statement, I now have an urge to setup a remote switching hot plate so once you know that you're about to.... finish, just hit the remote to start the coals up and they'll be red hot in no time tongue.gif Edited by MechAnt

• 9 months later...
The rules/etiquette for my hookah are:

-You can hold on to the hose for as long as you like, just use some common sense and don't be a dick.
-Always pass with the handle pointed towards the next person.
-First person to arrive is my assistant for setting up the hookah.

Don't forget to cover your hose end. If people forget one more fucking time I'll make them eat the coals.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Oct 7 2007, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10. Hubbly-Bubbly...don't even start with that phrase. It makes want to punch people in the face.

a-fucking-men...

1. respect the owner of the hookah he/she gets it for however long they want
2. if possible keep 2-3 people a hookah
3. when passing the hose the mouth tip will face toward you
4. when someone comes after the session has started offer them a hit from your hookah
5. do not ask for the hose even if its a really long time, wait. (in Lebanon you can wait for like 5-10min before getting it again but u have it for about 5-10min when you do get it.) And if you ask for the hose don't ask every 4 puffs...I will smack you if you do hookah is a relaxing activity so do not make it stressful with your whining.
6. when you are ready to pass the hookah and the person next to you is not paying attention tap them lightly on the shoulder or arm to let them know that if they want it they can have it.
7. As a host one should let some of the guests choose the flavor and if you don't like any of the flavors suggest to replace one of the flavors with something you like.
8. It is ok to smoke a cigarette while there is a hookah going around but DO NOT light it with the coals or smoke the hookah while you are still smoking a cigarette and don't ash the cigarette on the tray, get an ash tray.
9. If the tobbacco is burning than move the coals slightly if you know what you are doing and if you know that it really is burnt (my brother thinks sometimes the tobbacco is burnt when really it isn't.)
10. Hold the hose correctly at the base of the handle and smoke out of the side of your mouth and wipe the tip if you are not using a mouth piece before passing the hose.
11. Do not act like an idiot and if you do I will punch you in the face.
That is all I can think of for now, pretty much use common sense and don't act like an asshole. If you do act like an asshole me and my friends will make fun of you until you take your sorry ass home happy.gif.

I was at a buds house and one of the people smoking with us would not pass the hose unless I commented on the hookah.

Don't be oblivious of the hookah rotation. Two puffs and move on to the next.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

A couple rules I usually use.

Host should ask guests which flavor they would like, and when one is chosen, ask the others if that flavor is OK.

I set up my hookah. You can set up yours.

Please don't sit there and tell a long story while flapping the hose around with your hand gestures and never pass it. (My GF is so guilty every time)

If it's harsh, politely tell me, and I will try to fix it. Don't make a horrible face and start coughing on me.

If you knock the hookah over and the coal burns the carpet, you're in trouble, but you'll be forgiven after a little harassment.

If you knock the hookah over and it breaks, you're leaving with a much lighter wallet.

DO NOT attempt to reimburse me for shisha or coals. If I invited you to smoke, it's because I wanted to share it with you.

I also always ask most of my friends if the flavors I plan to order are OK with them, since I don't smoke alone.

QUOTE (blckngld760 @ Jul 16 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rules:
1. no rules

i dont care if people use the coal to light their cigarette or ash their cigarette in my ash tray...some of you guys are very anal when it comes to smoking hookah haha...all these rules blink.gif

So you wouldn't care if I come over to your house and knock over your hookah, breaking everything? It's not that we're anal about 'rules', its because we respect the hookah far to much to let some punk-ass kids mess around with it.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jul 16 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rules:
1. no rules

i dont care if people use the coal to light their cigarette or ash their cigarette in my ash tray...some of you guys are very anal when it comes to smoking hookah haha...all these rules blink.gif

So you wouldn't care if I come over to your house and knock over your hookah, breaking everything? It's not that we're anal about 'rules', its because we respect the hookah far to much to let some punk-ass kids mess around with it.

That's how it is with me. I practice no holds barred hookah smoking. If you come to my house, you can smash my vase against the wall, throw the lit coals in my face, and insult my flavors... no rules, man. But since it's no holds barred, I can also bodyslam you into my fireplace if I'm strong enough.

I think he was indicating for passing the hose, crossing your legs a certain way, say "shalem huskababee" after each puff. Things like that.

I just want the dam hose at least once every 5 minutes. I gotta admit though, some of you are pretty anal. Is that such a bad thing though? If it ruins the vibe, hell yeah it is.

-QM Edited by QuiltedMaple

QUOTE (ronald_dooley @ Jul 16 2008, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jul 16 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rules:
1. no rules

That's how it is with me. I practice no holds barred hookah smoking. If you come to my house, you can smash my vase against the wall, throw the lit coals in my face, and insult my flavors... no rules, man. But since it's no holds barred, I can also bodyslam you into my fireplace if I'm strong enough.

lol owned

1) Don't hold your hand out for the hose or beg, especially when I'm trying to get it going during the start of a session
2) Don't drift off into another galaxy when holding the hose
3) Move very slowly and carefully around the beast
4) Don't complain about flavors. Suggestions are fine but nobody is making you smoke
5) Have fun

here is what i compiled

• One person sets up the hookah, unless he asks for assistance.
• Hookah is placed on the floor, unless it is of a mini style.
• Bowl packer is in charge of charcoal, placement and lighting- unless agreed upon by hookah owner.
• The one whom packs the bowl, gets first smoke.
• Charcoal setter gets second smoke if not the one whom packed the bowl.
• Circle rotation shall be clockwise.
• Always hold hose is right hand.
• Hold the hose like a women, don't grasp with the fist.
• When passing the hose, flip tip over, opening toward body.
• Never hog hose, even when attempting to do smoke tricks.
• No one in circle shall ask for a smoke, only wait until it's their turn in the pass.
• Never blow smoke into someone's face, unless you want to have intimate relations with them.
• Never make the one whom is smoking laugh.

*violation of these rules may result in violator’s skip of turn, or expulsion from the hookah circle*

of course there are exceptions, but some punk ass kids treat the hookah like a bong. Edited by MWlax00

QUOTE (supersubby @ Sep 29 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for all the girls out there...lipgloss while smoking is a NO NO!!!!!!

LOLL once a friend of mine was smoking and she had lip gloss on...after like 5 mins her head starts to buzz and so she passes the hose..as I come to take a puff, I look at the tip and its all glowing from the lip gloss and...to make things appear worse, she slobbered all over it too lol. paper towel did justice that time.

I dont know if this has been mentioned:

Never ask to smoke if the hose is in someone else's hand. Wait until they are done smoking [weather that be 5 minutes or 20] and then feel free to get the hose.

My friends cousin CANT wait to get the hose. He is always and contantly asking someone for a hose. Its like, ok, I just packed the hookah, I set everything up, a hooked up the coals. Then i sit down, take like5 hits, and hes already asking for it lol.

We have a rule in our garage, and it states that "The person that packed the bowl is the only person that could start the hookah up, unless the person that packed the bowl offeres someone else to start it for him/her".

We have been following this for the longest time..then again its not a problem because there are always 3-4 hookah lit up at once..only one person is usually left out.

And MWlax00, you said never blow into the hose? Ever heard of Purging the base? You have to blow into the hose..it is why the purging valve was created to begin with.

There are a lot more..I just dont want to write out the whole thing lol.

QUOTE (Codename067 @ Jul 16 2008, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And MWlax00, you said never blow into the hose? Ever heard of Purging the base? You have to blow into the hose..it is why the purging valve was created to begin with.

Not everyone has a hookah with a purge valve.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jul 16 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rules:
1. no rules

well ive never had people knocking over my hookah on purpose...if that starts happening then maybe thatll be rule #1...but everybody i smoke with is careful not to tip over the hookah or drop the coals

QUOTE (blckngld760 @ Jul 16 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jul 16 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rules:
1. no rules

well ive never had people knocking over my hookah on purpose...if that starts happening then maybe thatll be rule #1...but everybody i smoke with is careful not to tip over the hookah or drop the coals

Yeah, its on thing if somone is trying to be careful and an accident happened. If a friend of mine was trying hard an accidently knocked over the hookah, I'd be upset but I wouldn't be angry at him. If he was being careless and fucked shit up, then yeah, I'd be mad.