Anyone Noticed Those Truth Campaigns?

MechAnt

QUOTE (joseph* @ Sep 17 2007, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, you say you "don't smoke," then say "But I smoke hookah" Smoking hookah is Smoking. It is harmful, and has a very potent drug called nicotine in it, which is equally adictive whether ingested from a cigarette or a hookah. Its the nicotine that makes the hookah relaxing. So, lets be clear, you are a 20 year old smoker, who uses a drug (in this case nicotine).

Really? How come people have such a hard time quitting cigs but even veteran Hookah smokers can stop smoking without any real urges or withdrawl symptoms?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People hate tobacco companies becuase they are literally marketing a product that will slowly kill you, and if you smoke a lot, will give you cancer and slowly kill you at an earlier time. They know for a fact that it's deadly, and WE all know for a fact it's deadly. Any 5 year old can tell you smoking is bad. So why do people STILL do it if it's so completely blatently obviously bad for them? And in cigarettes it's not just straight tobacco, there's all kinds of other shit in there that makes it worse. The truth campaign that really got me was that lady with the hole in her throat that STILL smokes cigarettes, and not through her mouth, BUT THROUGH THE HOLE IN HER NECK! Tobacco companies are never going to change anything just because some weird looking guy says "Did you know that tobacco companies say that smoking cigarettes is no more harmful than drinking milk??". WHO THE FUCK CARES??? Those stupid ads don't do shit, and what the hell is there cause anyway? Stop smoking? How will that make people stop smoking? If anything i'd love to take a drag and blow it right in that geeky guys face. wink.gif

I also noticed a newer one (not a Truth ad but another agency) where it shows some guy smoking on his breaks during work and on the split screen, there's a lab rat drinking from a mini pitcher of nicotine. The line on the ad was something like, "Are you going to let Big Tobacco control you like that?" I was like WTF?!!! Who gives a shit what Big Tobacco does, the focus should be how cigarettes are freaking deadly! Also, Big Tobacco isn't exploiting us with a nicotine addiction, tobacco smoking has nicotine in it naturally and with enough consumption over an extended period of time, you will get addicted. Big Tobacco is just capitalizing on that fact.

sad.gif
QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Oct 2 2007, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People hate tobacco companies becuase they are literally marketing a product that will slowly kill you, and if you smoke a lot, will give you cancer and slowly kill you at an earlier time. They know for a fact that it's deadly, and WE all know for a fact it's deadly. Any 5 year old can tell you smoking is bad. So why do people STILL do it if it's so completely blatently obviously bad for them? And in cigarettes it's not just straight tobacco, there's all kinds of other shit in there that makes it worse. The truth campaign that really got me was that lady with the hole in her throat that STILL smokes cigarettes, and not through her mouth, BUT THROUGH THE HOLE IN HER NECK! Tobacco companies are never going to change anything just because some weird looking guy says "Did you know that tobacco companies say that smoking cigarettes is no more harmful than drinking milk??". WHO THE FUCK CARES??? Those stupid ads don't do shit, and what the hell is there cause anyway? Stop smoking? How will that make people stop smoking? If anything i'd love to take a drag and blow it right in that geeky guys face. wink.gif

i totally agree with you man. people are always looking to blame someone else, but like you said; they know what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...
what most people don't know is that almost all anit-smoking adds and devices and pills and patches and what have you, are amde by big tobacco companies!

They are economic geniuses! They have an addictive "cool' relaxing product. and then they set up puppet companies to tell you not to do them, and sell you items to help you stop! That is pure brilliance.

as far as kids smoking. Do not force them, do not TELL them. Smoking is a right. if somebody wants to smoke by all means I will let them, I just watched the movie "Thank you For Smoking" the other day and I fully agree with it. If my kid has just turned 18 and he wants to smoke I will buy him his first pack. Smoking is about freedom! Our freedom to choose, Our freedom to live or die as we may. Smokers are some of the most discriminated people ever! and quite frankly it pisses me off. where have all the Smokers Rights gone?

I agree with Bushbr. Smokers are now the new outcast. My parents are smokers. I've been around it all my life. But I never smoked. Why? Because I was afraid they wouldnt be proud of my decision to do so. I want my parents to be nothing but proud of me. If that means I only get to smoke a hookah once in 3 months, then that's the way it's gonna be. Would I smoke more? I dont know. Depends on how harmful hookah actually is. Right now, with all the back and forth about how little or how much nicotine you get smoking a hookah, I'm still on the fence about doing it more than once every couple months. But I'm 21, my parents no longer control how I live my life. They may frown upon it, but they cant stop me. It's that frowning upon me that I fear the most.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 25 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Bushbr. Smokers are now the new outcast. My parents are smokers. I've been around it all my life. But I never smoked. Why? Because I was afraid they wouldnt be proud of my decision to do so. I want my parents to be nothing but proud of me. If that means I only get to smoke a hookah once in 3 months, then that's the way it's gonna be. Would I smoke more? I dont know. Depends on how harmful hookah actually is. Right now, with all the back and forth about how little or how much nicotine you get smoking a hookah, I'm still on the fence about doing it more than once every couple months. But I'm 21, my parents no longer control how I live my life. They may frown upon it, but they cant stop me. It's that frowning upon me that I fear the most.

i used to live like you. caring about things, but with the crap i recently found out about my parents, i've realized they have no right to judge me. I'm already light yers beyond what they were at my age.

haha yeah.....I hate finding shit out like that..... but i used it against them once, so it went from "Don't drink, don't make bad desicions, i'm kicking you out if you mess up one time!" to... "OK, have fun, don't drive! Make sure to drink lots of water when you get home." This was all while i was in Highschool.

They were always cool with my Hookah though, as long as i smoked it outside or in the garage.

What's wrong with caring about things? Yea, my parents may be hypocritical about me smoking, but in that same breath, I criticized them and have appealed to them to quit smoking. Then 2 months later I go out and do hookah with my friends. Same hypocrisy. The only reason I chose to do hookah the first time was because my friend told me that it wasnt addictive and it wasnt like cigarettes. Now I know that isnt true. Not only is it NOT true, no one tells you anything different. There isnt a warning posted in hookah bars I've been to. There's no surgeon general's warning. Shouldnt people know what they are doing? Having all the statistics at their disposal, do you think hookah would be nearly as popular as it is? I dont think so. From what I've heard here, herbal shisha is shit, so thats no alternative. Where's the compromise?

It's just a choice in smoking. I do not prefer the taste of cigs over Shisha, i prefer shisha over all because of thick smoke, fun smoke, strong taste, and the social aspect. But the word "tobacco", even the word "smoking" , gives people wrong impressions, beacaus they know what "Smoking Tobacco" does to you. My sister is 6 years old, she could tell you that smoking is bad, and she would also say "My brother says never to smoke". I tell her it is bad. I tell her not to. Will i stop her? No, it's her choice (as long as she's at a reasonable age of course). I guess i am a hypcrate, but that is just the way some people are. My mom tells me not to drink, but she used to steal her mom's wine from the wine cellar. Parents, or older sibllings, are just looking out for you. And when they think that you are old enough to make your own choices, they will back off and ease up. There is nothing wrong with them caring. I would prefer it. I am pretty sure my sister will end up being a hookah smoker as well, she's always in asking what flavor i'm doing and telling me to blow a little ring through a big one. I'm not gonna kick her out and tell her NO, she won't understand. But i will tell her that she should not smoke, and mommy would be very sad, i want to keep her anti-smoking for as long as i can, and i know i'm not a good influence, but i try to be. She's just curious, and enjoys when i show off to her when people are around. She sees my smoke tricks as my best quality and tells all her teachers how good i am at "Hookahs". I will keep her from smoking until she's 17, as will my parents. I want to watch out for her. I do care. Caring is what makes a family.

Surgeon General's warning at hookah bars? What about plain common sense? Hookah tobacco isn't magical, it does not protect you from itself. We need to stop appealing to the lowest common denominator. People are going to smoke as long as they are allowed to, no matter how much one tries to explain that it isn't good for you. Ever seen cigarette packs in some asian countries? They have pictures of black lungs on them, people still happily smoke away.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 26 2007, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 26 2007, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There isnt a warning posted in hookah bars I've been to. There's no surgeon general's warning. Shouldnt people know what they are doing?

You needed a sign to figure out you were smoking?

JD

Evidently...

Wait hookah smoking is bad too!!?!?! blink.gif

CURSE YOU SURGEON GENERAL!

Seriously though Bulldog, you're addicted to hookah?? That's pretty amazing to me, you I think would be the first that I've met... I can (and do) stop and restart all the time... Some days I will smoke 2-3 hours, some weeks 1 hour to 45 mins a day, and some weeks none at all. With the extremely low nicotine content, I have to wonder how exactly you DO get addicted...

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Oct 26 2007, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 26 2007, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 26 2007, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There isnt a warning posted in hookah bars I've been to. There's no surgeon general's warning. Shouldnt people know what they are doing?

You needed a sign to figure out you were smoking?

JD

Evidently...

Wait hookah smoking is bad too!!?!?! blink.gif

CURSE YOU SURGEON GENERAL!

Seriously though Bulldog, you're addicted to hookah?? That's pretty amazing to me, you I think would be the first that I've met... I can (and do) stop and restart all the time... Some days I will smoke 2-3 hours, some weeks 1 hour to 45 mins a day, and some weeks none at all. With the extremely low nicotine content, I have to wonder how exactly you DO get addicted...

allot of my friends say im addicted to hookah, and i mgiht be, but its not the nicotine, it's the flavor and the thick smoke and the whole aspect of smoking a hookah that im addicted to. but the bitch setup and clean up tends to counter act those.

First off, I dont know where you quoted me when I said I was addicted...I never said anything like that. Second off, no I dont need a sign telling me that smoking tobacco is not healthy, but I also think that a lot of people are getting into it because it's popular. They do it because their friends do it, they dont necessarily know what they are doing. That being said, even sheep have to be informed of the dangers of their actions, and a misunderstanding about the possibility of danger is not being informed.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 25 2007, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wrong with caring about things? Yea, my parents may be hypocritical about me smoking, but in that same breath, I criticized them and have appealed to them to quit smoking. Then 2 months later I go out and do hookah with my friends. Same hypocrisy. The only reason I chose to do hookah the first time was because my friend told me that it wasnt addictive and it wasnt like cigarettes. Now I know that isnt true. Not only is it NOT true, no one tells you anything different. There isnt a warning posted in hookah bars I've been to. There's no surgeon general's warning. Shouldnt people know what they are doing? Having all the statistics at their disposal, do you think hookah would be nearly as popular as it is? I dont think so. From what I've heard here, herbal shisha is shit, so thats no alternative. Where's the compromise?

I think he meant that it's not true beacuse it is just like cigarettes?

http://www.thehookahlounge.org/2006/06/30/...or-your-health/

Some say it's worse.

I'm just asking even the sheep to be informed before they make a stupid ill-informed decision. After they make that decision, they are on their own, I have no argument there. I'm not trying to infringe on anyone's freedom here, just making a point. Meant no disrespect.

It isnt nonsense! I can GUARANTEE you that if half of the people I see at hookah bars knew that it was as bad as smoking, they wouldnt have picked it up. You know full well how young people think most of the time. "Nothing can hurt me, this isnt dangerous" Blah blah blah. You put a hookah pipe in front of them, all is cool. You put a cigarette in front of them, no dice, they wont even touch it. Why? "Smoking cigarettes is bad for you!"

Hell, I'll go to the bar tonight and ask if they think that smoking hookah is dangerous. At least half the time I'll hear "no".

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Oct 27 2007, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isnt nonsense! I can GUARANTEE you that if half of the people I see at hookah bars knew that it was as bad as smoking, they wouldnt have picked it up. You know full well how young people think most of the time. "Nothing can hurt me, this isnt dangerous" Blah blah blah. You put a hookah pipe in front of them, all is cool. You put a cigarette in front of them, no dice, they wont even touch it. Why? "Smoking cigarettes is bad for you!"

Hell, I'll go to the bar tonight and ask if they think that smoking hookah is dangerous. At least half the time I'll hear "no".

No it is nonsense... because it IS SMOKING... I am sorry but I think that its awful that a lot of people need a slogan before they think something through. If we are going to do this, then we should also have surgeon general's warnings that knives might cut you, that you might choke on a hotdog, and as ghostofdavid said, that eating a burger at a restaurant might make you fat.

Catering to the lowest common denominator is bad policy, and makes all of us dumber because of it.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE ([LB] @ Oct 24 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
isnt truth funder by philip morris?

yes it is and any collage student that is taking phycology can tell you these comercials are not made to make you quit smoking they are infact using a tactic to make you start or to make you smoke more. thats why they use actors that annoy the hell out of you. what is the first thing most ppl do when someone they dont like tells them not to do something? same with these comecials thats why when you see and hear the main guy speek on them you almost instantly hate him. it plays on our nature to rebel.