Smiley's Distributor

QUOTE (aldonb1 @ Jul 9 2007, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is just me personally, but I was very interested into the pricing also because while quality is important... I am in college and I am broke 80% of the time. What I look for in a shisha is the best Quality : Price : Quantity ratio. So even if Layalina doesn't meat the quality of Starbuzz, I personally believe the reduced cost more than compensates for the minor lapse in quality. So far I believe Tangiers has the best Q : P : Q ratio.
--aB

Well I feel better now, so far all of my points in my origional post were ignored until this one popped up.smile.gif.. At least something got validated.smile.gif heh,

BTW, O, are you going to be handling only Shisha through smiley? Or all his items. I have an order for a Kilo of his coals in, granted it's no big rush, I just haven't gotten any kind of tracking information from him and the funds cleared July 2nd.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologize if my last two posts were uncivil/rude. It was not my intention to come across as so. Now thats out of the way... I'll respect any mans attempt to make an honest buck for himself, but that does not require me to spend my hard earned money for his cause. Six dollars for a Smiley Snack is absolutely insane. As the others have said, if the product is guaranteed, then yeah, I'd consider paying that much. People say that Smiley is one hell of a nice guy, and I believe that very much so. It sounds like he's dug himself into a hole and can't get out. I hope this whole nastiness gets worked out soon, as I enjoy the civil discourse on this forum.

Something to think about. Everyone is talking about how this new smileys should start out cheap to get customer base back, well he already has. When he first came out with his shisha it was a good price, and everyone was willing to pay for it. He then increased his price, and most people were still going to pay the new price. No the price has been raised even higher, and I think smiley expected the trend to follow. But it has not, since OPD stated that this whole distribution idea is not new and has been talked about for quite sometime, then that makes me think that the earlier prices were all a marketing ploy to get his final high price. I think what happened was the bad batches were becoming to numerous, and he had to disappear and have a "New Smileys" come out.

This is for OPD, about this new smileys, when did he iron out all the bugs, because as of 2 weeks ago people were still getting bad batches, and if by some miracle he ironed out the bugs in those 2 weeks, I take it he threw away his entire stock pile of all the old smileys sexy shisha??? Also you claim you have tried numerous other brands, and that is how you base smileys being the best. Well, how about naming some of those brands and rate them to smileys. I know you do nto want to talk about price now, but you say you based your price on market and how much you feel the product is worth, but shouldn't price be determined on how much the consumer will pay and not how much you think it is worth?? Also what type of coals did you use, what was your setup. i think we would all like to know this...

edit for spelling Edited by oggie505#2

QUOTE (aldonb1 @ Jul 9 2007, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So even if Layalina doesn't meat the quality of Starbuzz.

Other way around. The quality of Layalina is far superior to Starbuzz. wink.gif

I too am curious to what Smileys is being compared to. I will gladly give it another run once I start seeing a trend of happy customers instead of negative reviews every day.

As I said before. Quality is subjective.

There have been recent rumbling about starbuzz and weather the quality has gone down.

Layalina appears to be a long running, decent tobacco which allways delivered. It's never let me down.

I think a wait-and-see approach to Smiley's is going to pay out. I thank OPD for his opening comments and staying cool during the rant-a-thon, but ultimately he is a distributor. Unless he wants to open a shisha outlet store LOL!

JD

Well, all I have to say on the matter is this. I talked to him, sounds like a nice enough guy. Sounds like a salesman. And extols the supreme quality of smileys shisha. He believes that if a product is quality customers should/will pay the price even if its exorbitant (this includes himself).

My only issue is this: Fine its the slap-happy-banginest shisha the world has ever seen. But, comparatively speaking HOOKAH_HOOKAH sells shots for about a buck fiddy. The flavors seem pretty good. I wouldn't say its great, but id doesn't make you go screaming from the room going... "the Horror, the Horror." Now, if the product retails for the MSRP we are looking at paying for 300% more for the product. Now, I gotz to ask myself this, "what does this sheite do that makes it worth that much more. Is the flavor.... That superior, the buzz that much better, the consistency unparalleled. Because for me to buy something with that much of a markup more, it better be the slam-damninest-spanktackular shisha I've ever smoked, and Honestly would have to be on par with not so legit narcotics.

Now I didn't get a chance to talk with him about the larger quantities of shisha, and I have to put this out there. What the hell is wrong with making 250g containers like every other mothers son out there. Seriously whats with the 100g and 150g crap. I would just hope that the larger quantities of don't follow the pricing trend, though I can't see how you could even think about not raising the prices. And right now it costs more than twice its amount of "lesser" shisha.

For JD tongue.gif

Look buy one 15 gram sample from me for $5.99, I will give you two flavors so that we aren't "lucky" in that flavor being so good....

For me 30grams at that price, hells no.. Edited by oggie505#2

As I said before, MSRP is never the actual price. MSRP is what companies slap on packages above the real price to make you THINK you're getting a deal. Chances are we'll see these shots selling at $4.00 or something like that. Don't get worked up over MSRP, it's never what you're actually getting charged.

Don't believe me, then tune into a home shopping network. They always have some ridiculous jacked up MSRP that they say they're undercutting. The MSRP on there is sometimes double or more what you're actually paying.

MSRP is there to give retailers an idea of what they COULD make on the product, though most companies never sell at MSRP because they can sell it cheaper and still make a marginal profit. Plus when they sell cheaper they attract more consumers.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jul 10 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mojo,
Don't hold your breath, Knowing the wholesale price, plus shipping, don't expect to see the shots for 4 bucks. Just a little inside insight.

I didn't consider shipping..

Wholesale is that bad eh?

(I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook on this.. Knowing full well in the back of my head that all of it is probably pointless.)

I realize that I am jumping in late to this discussion, but I just wanted to add my thoughts.

I have been smoking hookah for about 6 years now, and while I realize that this is a lot shorter than many people on here, I have still had a fair amount of experience. I own several hookahs and I smoke many different types of shisha, including, but not limited to: Nakhla, al-Waha, al-Amir, al-Fahker, Tangiers, Fumari, Starbuzz, Hookah Hookah, and Layalina. Each brand has its pros and cons. For my choice in shisha, my decision rests entirely on the quality of the product. I will try anything once and if it is good, I will continue to smoke it. I would much rather pay a little more for something I know is good. To that end, check your PMs - I am glad to try your samples and provide a fair review. I have been around this forum for a long time and I don't think anyone would say that I am biased towards any brand or an unfair person.

As to your business practices: I really won't comment on those. Our economy is a capitalistic one and market forces will dictate whether or not your product will sell and/or be successful. That being said, I was around when a certain other tobacco manufacturer brought his product to the forum, and I think that you could draw some valuable lessons from that. We are a solid group of hookah smokers with some very good opinions. Listen to those opinions and use them -- it can only make your product better.

Good Morning All,
First and foremost, I would like thank all of you for your overwhelmingly strong responses to me yesterday. I was not expecting such a fanfare of a welcome, but...thanks either way.
I would like to say, I appreciate the honesty about the past with smiley and the product I am selling. I would like to point out some issues...
1. I am the distributor of Smiley's Shisha
2. What happened in the past is just that, the past....
3. you all ask for guarantee's....I think it was JD who pointed out the quality(taste) is subjective, so I will not be able to guarantee in that way...but what I can and will do is this: I will guarantee that the shisha is fresh(not dry) This is all I can do..I hope you all understand that I will not be able to guarantee taste as much as a chef can't guarantee a steak will be 100% even if cooked perfectly..I hope you all understand this.....
4. as far as consistency...Like I stated earlier, I have not found an issue with this myself and I smoke at least 2 bowls a day...you asked for specific's...
currently, I am smoking my pumpkin(bambino decided to dive onto my floor and don't ask about my egyptian..im still upset about that.) im pretty exclusive on my coals between three eagles instant and starlight...depending on my mood of how dirty i want my kitchen to be...I always, and I mean always chill my vase about an hour before in the fridge, as well as the hose being in the freezer since the last time I used it.
getting back to consistency....I have been smoking many flavors on a regular basis and only once in recent months have I had a bowl that just sucked....and you know what it did, it just sucked...but I won't blame that on anyone buy me, I had a couple of flavors that were left overs(tiny amounts) and shoved them all in the bowl for a mix..big mistake...but hey you live and learn...
5. somebody asked about what I have tried...no please, realize I am probably forgetting a couple of I have tried, I am sorry, but at some lounges in NYC I have gone to, I was to drunk to care about the brand, I just wanted to smoke, so....here you go
Havana starawberry/banana
al waha most flavors
nakhla mango
romman mint
fumari all flavors
al fakhara(sp?)
pharoh's peach
oh yeah, I should point out, the flavors I am listing above are ones I have currently in the house.....
something called Zen...
and some others that aren't coming to mind right now...
6. loss leader comments....please I wasn't coming here to sell to you people, if I can..great, but that wasn't my pupose, I wanted info..so doing a loss leader now..would be pointless, I need to have more info...and once again, the issue with loss leaders is simple...when dealing with say...college crowd...who don't have a tremendous spendable income, they will buy cheap and only buy cheap....quality will not factor into this buyers mind...loss leader only hurts me...
7. one more point.....this forum is great for feedback and quick...but please realize that the market in which I am targeting, this forum only represents a tiny % of it. you all might be the die-hard hookah smoking crowd, but that is not what the only way this industry thrives...it thrives off the occasional customer who buys as well
please, I know you all will, comment back to me...but be civil as I am and will be....I would like to be a part of this community and if I offended anyone here with my actions yesterday, I apologize
Please do realize I am in business to supply the best shisha on the market to the market while still making a buck...
and if you don't want to try or buy, fine, but campaign against me for no reason..I don't try to hurt your job or career or lounge or whatever, so please be respectful to mine as well as I am to you..
I thank you inadvance...

Thanks for a little more clarification.. I don't mean to be a thorn in your side, but it looks like you should be checking some PMs.. I know that I as well as others are trying to contact you privately.

QUOTE (OPD @ Jul 10 2007, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7. one more point.....this forum is great for feedback and quick...but please realize that the market in which I am targeting, this forum only represents a tiny % of it.

Take it back!!!! Take it back!!!! Tell us that you are lying and we represent 95% of your business..........please?......it will make me feel better.

On a serious note

I think you have realized (as you have stated) that this fourm is full of passionate hookah smokers who take everything to do with this life-stlye seriously. Thanks for your honesty, sorry things got heated, and welcome to the forums.

.........................lower the price ph34r.gif ...............................

3. you all ask for guarantee's....I think it was JD who pointed out the quality(taste) is subjective, so I will not be able to guarantee in that way...but what I can and will do is this: I will guarantee that the shisha is fresh(not dry) This is all I can do..I hope you all understand that I will not be able to guarantee taste as much as a chef can't guarantee a steak will be 100% even if cooked perfectly..I hope you all understand this.....

If I go to a HIGH end dollar steak house and pay 2-3 more for a mignon steak, than i would say at long horn steak house, you better damn believe that, that chef is getting that steak back and will continue to do so until i get what i want. Call me a PITA or a beytoch, but Your analogy is not what people with a back bone will take. Sorry.

and smileys is sooooooo goopey and runny it will NEVER be dry. I have some that i just bought the other day dripping with molasses but still no taste.

A steak can be cooked to the right point of rare, med- rare, well done etc... but if there isn't any flavoring (or tastes like an old leather shoe)..why should I be forced to pay 3x more for it, if I was not satisfied?

Sorry if i came off rather rude, edited for spelling/punctuation. Edited by kornkitten42

A chef analogy?? Ah ha! This is Machos time to shine!

Can't guarentee taste??? Oh you're damn right I guarentee taste. Or if you prefer, I guarentee that I will do anything in my power to make sure that their meal is perfect....to THEIR taste. I'm a hell of a cook... Staying with the vein of steaks, I can perfectly cook a piece of meat with 2 to 3 degrees every time, even in a high volume business...But if whoever got my perfectly cooked steak sends it back to me, telling me it's wrong, then....its wrong. It is that simple. I could take a thermometer and the newest revised cooking manuals to the table, and explain to them that it's their fault on a technicality, sure, but in the end, its MY FAULT. It's MY FAULT, simply because I didn't make them happy.

The major problem I have with all this, is that so far all I hear about is guarenteed quality...but very little about validity, and your personal role. It doesn't work along the lines of "I gave them service so they owe me money" but rather "they gave me money, so I owe them happiness."

It CAN be guarenteed, I think is my point. It can be guarenteed that a persons money won't be wasted, and that in the end they will get exactly what they want, be it a refund, a new batch of something, etc etc.

I know being a distributor, that those certains things are beyond you, seeing as how you won't be dealing with customers directly. I just wanted to state my opinion that your words and thoughts are a little "whatever happens happens" for someone in your business.

Once again, sorry for the length.
~~Macho

I'm a little confused myself....
You earlier said that the inconsistant batches are a thing of the past and that each batch will taste like it's supposed to. Thats why you are so certain of the brands success. If you can't garuntee (sp) that Horchatta will taste like Horchatta each and every time, then the inconsistancy problems of the past are still a current concern. Could you clarify that?

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jul 10 2007, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You earlier said that the inconsistant batches are a thing of the past and that each batch will taste like it's supposed to. Thats why you are so certain of the brands success. If you can't garuntee (sp) that Horchatta will taste like Horchatta each and every time, then the inconsistancy problems of the past are still a current concern. Could you clarify that?

ok, I guess I mistated my point...I am quite sorry...but I have sat down at emerils( which is the best steakhouse in Vegas ) and had a bad steak, I'm not saying that it wasn't cooked right, it was just a bad piece of meat and yes the steakhouse replaced it...but it can't be guaranteed, am i making sense to anyone?
sorry if i am not, you guys got me tired yesterday with this forum...
ok...I will say that I am not concerned with inconsistency...because the batches aren't inconsistent....all seems to taste, smell and smoke the same..

I'm not saying that it wasn't cooked right, it was just a bad piece of meat and yes the steakhouse replaced it...but it can't be guaranteed,----

UMMMMM....... if they replaced it because it was bad.. then that means... *gasp* it's guaranteed....

two ways to handle bad sevice/ food/ or even products.......

Either get a new dish or dtell them you dont want a replacement and have them take it off your bill...

if the server says tough titty.... then say let me speak to the owner/ manager.

edited because i'm getting annoyed. Edited by kornkitten42

QUOTE (OPD @ Jul 10 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Jul 10 2007, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, I guess I mistated my point...I am quite sorry...but I have sat down at emerils( which is the best steakhouse in Vegas ) and had a bad steak, I'm not saying that it wasn't cooked right, it was just a bad piece of meat and yes the steakhouse replaced it...but it can't be guaranteed, am i making sense to anyone?
sorry if i am not, you guys got me tired yesterday with this forum...
ok...I will say that I am not concerned with inconsistency...because the batches aren't inconsistent....all seems to taste, smell and smoke the same..

As a guarantee on Smiley's tobacco, I believe that is what everyone wants they want you to guarantee the product if, like the steak, it is not good you replace it. I think that is what is meant by a guarantee.

I have read all of these posts and all i want to know is that someone said they got some of the "new product" possibly because it was in the new packaging now where did they get it ? or if you call smileys shop directly can you order the "new stuff"