So Angry Right Now

well most of you know i work for the police department. Well i found out some interesting news and i'm PISSED off.......

I found out today that since 4/12 i've been driving around with a SUSPENDED license!wtf???????

I found this out due to a routine test of our systems. We are not allowed to run anybody in our systems without officer approval, well our system kept messing up so to do a test , i ran myself on our dshmv database. since we are allowed in such instances to make sure all is well and that the system has no gliches.

Well, i looked at my dshmv report and it said in big bold letters SUSPENDED and i FLIPPED out.

It said it has been suspended to due an auto accident that i failed to have insurance on my car. which is complete BS since i've had insurance on this particular car since august when i bought it.

Now, the officer (not my guys and gals) that handled the wreck was from a different jurisdiction since our guys are not allowed to handle police employee related incidents due to favoritism, so another officer came in and 1st off didn't even talk to me. I was rushed into the ambulance (i was t-boned) and didn't come in to ask for any of my info or what happened.
Actually the only time i saw that officer was when she came into the ambulance when they were putting my iv in and put me up to the heart monitor was to make me sign the ticket (yeah.. so my fault.... rolls eyes) but never the less she had my wallet and my captian was there to make sure everything went all right and that i made it to the hospital without having a heart attack. (They wouldnt release me because i was on a dangerous level and my captian ORDERED me to go to the hospital which i'm glad he did but beside the point.)

but my medical bills from the wreck are paid for, the other car and mine were fixed due to my insurance...SO now..... i'm freaking out. DMV is closed until tuesday...... and I dont know what to do. I am so angry right now

Now i'm not really sue happy, but I will sue that department if my insurance drops me, and if i get in trouble from my police chief or have any hassles about reinstatement. I am soooo pissed. WHAT IF I HAD GOTTEN INTO A WRECK OR PULLED OVER SINCE THE 12TH??!??!? I WOULD BE SCREWED! no notices, no nothing.

GRRRRRRRRR......

QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ Apr 22 2007, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well most of you know i work for the police department. Well i found out some interesting news and i'm PISSED off.......

I found out today that since 4/12 i've been driving around with a SUSPENDED license!wtf???????

I found this out due to a routine test of our systems. We are not allowed to run anybody in our systems without officer approval, well our system kept messing up so to do a test , i ran myself on our dshmv database. since we are allowed in such instances to make sure all is well and that the system has no gliches.

Well, i looked at my dshmv report and it said in big bold letters SUSPENDED and i FLIPPED out.

It said it has been suspended to due an auto accident that i failed to have insurance on my car. which is complete BS since i've had insurance on this particular car since august when i bought it.

Now, the officer (not my guys and gals) that handled the wreck was from a different jurisdiction since our guys are not allowed to handle police employee related incidents due to favoritism, so another officer came in and 1st off didn't even talk to me. I was rushed into the ambulance (i was t-boned) and didn't come in to ask for any of my info or what happened.
Actually the only time i saw that officer was when she came into the ambulance when they were putting my iv in and put me up to the heart monitor was to make me sign the ticket (yeah.. so my fault.... rolls eyes) but never the less she had my wallet and my captian was there to make sure everything went all right and that i made it to the hospital without having a heart attack. (They wouldnt release me because i was on a dangerous level and my captian ORDERED me to go to the hospital which i'm glad he did but beside the point.)

but my medical bills from the wreck are paid for, the other car and mine were fixed due to my insurance...SO now..... i'm freaking out. DMV is closed until tuesday...... and I dont know what to do. I am so angry right now

Now i'm not really sue happy, but I will sue that department if my insurance drops me, and if i get in trouble from my police chief or have any hassles about reinstatement. I am soooo pissed. WHAT IF I HAD GOTTEN INTO A WRECK OR PULLED OVER SINCE THE 12TH??!??!? I WOULD BE SCREWED! no notices, no nothing.

GRRRRRRRRR......

Sorry to hear that. My FIRST car ( 96 olds cierra, haha), caused something similar. I was on my way home from work, and on a main road. It was about 8pm, and dark. I was changing something on my ipod to the next song, but still had my eyes on the road. Kinda, touch-feel out the controls. I was doing 45mph, and out of nowhere, a deer ran across. I wound up swerving, and hitting a semi-fallen over tree at 45 mph. My car went over the tree, and I did a corkscrew through the air, landing sideways. I climbed out of my car, and knowing i had a concussion. I was just layin on the ground, and people rushed over. When the cop came, they didn't ask if I was okay, and when Iasked for their names and badge number, I was given no answer. 5 days later, I get a careless driving ticket in the mail. Apparently when i told them " I changed my ipod, but still had both eyes on the road", it didnt' matter. In NJ, any moving violation carries a $250 surcharge. So, I wound up spending $400, and totalled my car. That sucks Korn, It's happened to some of my friends, and they were ARRESTED. like, thrown against their car and handcuffed for it.

QUOTE (Hookah Joe @ Apr 22 2007, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ Apr 22 2007, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GRRRRRRRRR......

Sorry to hear that. My FIRST car ( 96 olds cierra, haha), caused something similar. I was on my way home from work, and on a main road. It was about 8pm, and dark. I was changing something on my ipod to the next song, but still had my eyes on the road. Kinda, touch-feel out the controls. I was doing 45mph, and out of nowhere, a deer ran across. I wound up swerving, and hitting a semi-fallen over tree at 45 mph. My car went over the tree, and I did a corkscrew through the air, landing sideways. I climbed out of my car, and knowing i had a concussion. I was just layin on the ground, and people rushed over. When the cop came, they didn't ask if I was okay, and when Iasked for their names and badge number, I was given no answer. 5 days later, I get a careless driving ticket in the mail. Apparently when i told them " I changed my ipod, but still had both eyes on the road", it didnt' matter. In NJ, any moving violation carries a $250 surcharge. So, I wound up spending $400, and totalled my car. That sucks Korn, It's happened to some of my friends, and they were ARRESTED. like, thrown against their car and handcuffed for it.

Shitty.... the police have screwed me over so many times, I have no more respect for them...

On a seperate note, my 1st car was a 96 olds ciera too....wierd

My first car was a 1984 Olds Cutlass Ciera that looks almost identical to the 1996 model. wink.gif

I had a very similiar experience, KK.

I borrowed my dad's brand new mini-van... took it to school.. I got t-boned by a car going 70mph in a 25mph... as the cops came, I fell out of the van and crawled to a median. The paramedics showed up and as I was being checked for any concussion, the cop writes a ticket and sticks it in my front shirt pocket! He cited me for the accident! I paid the ticket, because I only had like 5 days to do it. The following week, my dad calls me furious wanting to know what I did because he got a copy of a warrant out for my arrest in Hamilton county. I told him I had no idea, and he said he didn't believe me. I called the local police station (from a friend's house.. ;P) and asked what the warrant was for... they looked it up and it was for not paying the ticket. I checked my bank account and the check had cashed the day AFTER I mailed it. I called my dad back, he called his lawyers, and a week later I got an apology letter from the city of cincinnati.

Oh? And the people who hit me. My good friend Evan just happened to be driving on the street and saw me bloody on the side of the road. He gave me and the people who HIT me a ride home. Months later, I get a letter saying they are suing me. Guess what? They actually WIN $2500 for hitting me. It is a lot better than the 100,000 they were trying to sue me for. The one time I was actually thankful for insurance!

• 3 weeks later...
That sucks; kind of amazing how you weren't informed.

My license was suspended last August for 6 months but hell with that. I wasn't going to be taking like two buses on each route to goto school and work (especially during winter). I drove everyday for those six months; sort of like underage drinking. As long as you don't get caught...

• 1 month later...
I was with my buddy in his dad's Acura NSX when he decided to go 130 in a 55.. Lost his license, had a fine of $600. They pinned him for wreckless operation. Then they threw a racing charge at him because he was going double the speed limit.. He took it to court since he wasn't racing, he was just speeding and they said in the state of Ohio, if you are going two times the speed limit in any zone you can be charged with racing. The fact that he was driving a hot red NSX probably didn't help the fact.

Well, I'm going to say it : Speeding at those velocities is just asking for trouble.

The word your looking for is : Stupidity

We have moron's going through the village at 40+ MPH. It's a 30 with 2 schools either side of it.
Personally I'd like to punch some of these drivers clean in the face.

The child they mow down could be mine - Ironically it would be me in the jail !

JD

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Jul 13 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm going to say it : Speeding at those velocities is just asking for trouble.

The word your looking for is : Stupidity

We have moron's going through the village at 40+ MPH. It's a 30 with 2 schools either side of it.

JD

Sorry to be a dick, but your kids shouldn't be playing in the street.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Jul 13 2007, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JonDubya @ Jul 13 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to be a dick, but your kids shouldn't be playing in the street.

Your not a dick. Your a fucktard.

Kids cross the street to get to school. Or is that too hard to comprehend?

JD

Then they should pay attention to oncoming traffic [better].  I'm playing devil's advocate to point out that even though people drive excessively fast through an area, pedestians, children or not, still need to pay attention to all traffic in their general vicinity.  There's two actors to the story, and each needs to play their role; ESPECIALLY if you cannot readily fix the other's fault (speeding).   As for children, it's up to the parents to educate them enough to the point that children will subconsciously check for traffic, estimate distance, velocity and possible collision between the two subject in order to prevent it from happening.

Everyone's always looking to blame others (sue crazy), but in a lot of instances the only one to TRULY blame is themselves.

Dear sweet Jesus.

Your not playing Devil's advocate - your trying to defend the indefensible.

Kids have to be given freedom. A part of that is learning to walk to school without having mummy and daddy holding there hands. [Just for clarification I am speaking 12-16]

Crossing roads is part of this.

A VEHICLE TRAVELLING AT 40 MPH HAS AN 80% CHANCE OF KILLING SOMEONE IT HITS
A VEHICLE TRAVELLING AT 30 MPH HAS AN 20% CHANCE OF KILLING SOMEONE IT HITS

Sure - kids are freaking idiots. And yes, occasionally, a genuine accident will happen.

I was taught to anticipate both drivers and pedestrians. When I see kids in teh road, walking too & from school I drive more carefully. Including reducing my speed irrespective of posted speed limits.

Are you seriously trying to tell me if a child, by mistake, walks into the path of an oncoming vehicle that 50% of the blame is on them, irrespective of the speed the vehicle is travelling.

JD

edit :- If I walk into the path of a car having failed to anticipate speed and local conditions then yes, I deserve most of what i am going to get. But i'm a 40,000Mile-a-year driver who has held a licence for 17 years. This qualifies me to be able to anticipate speed, stopping distances & local conditions.

I'm not defending anyone.

I'm making the point that the situation is complex and there are easy tasks that can be performed by pedestrians to reduce the chance of a collision. By easy, I mean two things; one is the obvious - check for cars, speed, etc; the second is in comparison to the more difficult (possibly riskier, depending on your actions) task of making speeders slow down to reach the same conclusion - no collision.

JonDubya have a kid (or if you already have one disregard that) and one day see if they get hit by someone speeding. would you blame yourself for not teaching the your child very well not to watch for cars and calculate speed (which for younger children is harder to do) or would you blame the driver who was speeding. i can almost guarantee you would blame the driver, later on you will change your stance in grieving and blame yourself as most everyone does when they grieve but you will still blame the driver.

Wow, I have no idea how to reply to Jdub. How many times as a kid did you run across the street? How many of those times did you never look for a car when you did. Bullshit if you say never. They are kids, they are not perfect and do not check everything they do before acting.

Not to swing way out of context here. How many times do you cross the street in front of cars at a traffic light and not even think about the fact that the driver has 3000+lbs in their control? How many times have you thought about the fact that if they let off that brake and accelerate you will be killed?

Wow, you guys blew this way out of proportion.

Scheetz, I grew up on a dead end street, not a lot of need to look when crossing. When I was older (moved) I either looked or listened for cars. It's REALLY NOT THAT HARD TO DO! Even as a child.

I'm done arguing, I stated what I need to, my point has been made; interpret it as you wish.

But remember this, if I'm driving down your neighborhood street (not speending, for the obvious) and your kid steps infront of my car, I'm going to tell you either 'why weren't you looking after your kid?' or 'your kid is a fucking moron.' Plain an simple. That's why they build houses with back yards.

going down a neighborhood not speeding, as far as i remember that is 25mph speed limit. lets go by what johnny said in facts "A VEHICLE TRAVELLING AT 30 MPH HAS AN 20% CHANCE OF KILLING SOMEONE IT HITS" so a low chance of the child being killed but still there. also at 25 mph your chances of stopping in time are over 95% unless your drunk, high or distracted. if you re-read jhonny's statement it was

now does that say ANYTHING about playing in the street? it is about at school and you know what happens generally there? children WALKING home or WAITING for their parents. they are not in the street but on the sidewalk or crossing the street. now children are stupid and sometimes they will dart across the street and not see a car, it is your job as a driver to watch out for children, that is why when you are in a school zone the speed limit is 25 mph and not its normal 35-40 mph (45 near my old elementary school). your statements are as if the child is playing in the street and that generally only happens in a neighborhood at your house, not at a school. everyone but you got that obviously which is why you got the responses as above.

QUOTE (JonDubya @ Jul 14 2007, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, you guys blew this way out of proportion.

Scheetz, I grew up on a dead end street, not a lot of need to look when crossing. When I was older (moved) I either looked or listened for cars. It's REALLY NOT THAT HARD TO DO! Even as a child.

I'm done arguing, I stated what I need to, my point has been made; interpret it as you wish.

But remember this, if I'm driving down your neighborhood street (not speending, for the obvious) and your kid steps infront of my car, I'm going to tell you either 'why weren't you looking after your kid?' or 'your kid is a fucking moron.' Plain an simple. That's why they build houses with back yards.

Wow. Just Amazing. Grow up please.

You posted something to be argumentative and now your just looking like plain stupid.

Were not talking about playing in a side-street. I am speaking of a road that runs through my village that people regularly speed down. We have maybe 400 children that HAVE to traverse this road in order to get to that school.

Maybe we should all drive the 2/3 of a mile to the school and back to prevent any possible chance of accident? Good for the enviroment!

You have failed to address any of my points raise in my previous post.

The Situation is not complex. Children cannot judge speed/velocity & weight. Hell, some adults can't do this properly. Children should be made to walk to school where ever possible.

If your speeding above the posted level then you are going to create a problem. This is not complex.

JD

How did this go from talking about a suspended license to arguing about crossing the street? WTF, guys? Edited by Big Boss

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jul 14 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did this go from talking about a suspended license to arguing about crossing the street? WTF, guys?

Like any conversation it often develops into something different.

I think that it's probably run it's course though wink.gif

JD

well - i Didn't get my license suspended for speeding. It was for failur to show insurance (which they ended up fixing because the information was in the report etc)

My Fi just got a major ticket the other day- a 71 in a 45. There was a blue ferrari sitting next to us (going just as fast if not a mile or 2 faster) and the officer pulls us over........ he walks onto the highway, into on coming traffic and stops us both by holding out his hand. and then lets the ferrari go. Some stupid bimbo talking on the cellphone *jack@$$ cop*..... No that ferrari wasn't speeding........

So we got a 200+ dollar ticket. He didn't even run our plates to see if the car was stolen. DUMB-
he also wouldn't cut us a break, or reduce it down to 15 mph or under, or give professional courtesy......... which pissed me off to no end. he was such a douche.

Anyway back to main story. license is reinstated...besides being 200 poorer all is right in the world, and I looked both ways only half the time because i was to busy chasing the ball, neighborhood cat/dog, ice cream truck whatever........not because my parents didn't teach me better, but because I just forgot/ got caught up in the moment, or whatever.

Sorry to hear about that kornkitten just remember even if you in the field don't always rely on that as a ticket out.

As far as the discussion on kids goes I like this old saying that I once heard. Dogs is Dogs and Kids is Kids and thats about all you can expect from them.
It's our job as adults to be watching out for them because they will make mistakes. I'll give an example, I have two schools by my house, and most of the kids walk because it's a small town. I was driving home from work one day and their are kids on both sides of the street, their was a little boy on my right that all the sudden ran across to be with his friends because I was acting like an adult I was able to anticipate this move and stop in time, now granted he didn't look but the fact of the matter is kids do not use good judgment. How am I suppose to expect a boy or girl thats 6, 7 or 8 to judge my speed, distance location etc. when their just starting to learn and grasp the concept of addition, subtraction and multiplication.
If the mathmatical side doesn't make sense, then think about kids, their brains haven't fully developed yet so they do not under stand perception, distance and speed.
Its our job as drivers and adults to compensate for a childs misjudgments. After he did this I just pulled along side him stopped the motorcycle and told him that their are a lot of drivers that come thru there at a faster speed then I was going and if he doesn't look for threats he could get hurt. He told me that it was an accident and he should have looked first, I told him I understood (because I'm not so old yet that I have lost touch with my childhood. I know what its like to be in his shoes, that bell rings and all you can think about is getting with friends and getting the hell away from their as fast as possible).
I told him just take an extra second and look next time he said he'd try, wished him and his friends a good day and was off. The way I see it is I had no right to be mad at that kid because he just did what comes naturally to him. He had an impulse and acted upon it, he didn't consider the consequences of his action until after I brought it to his attention.

* I wasn't looking for a way out of the ticket. Maybe a mile or 2 under what he said I was doing (btw mostofficers will give anyone that much if you are at least polite to them)

I was on the other hand hoping that he would give me some professional courtesy and at refrain from being rude, or disgusted with me, seeing as we're part of the same field.

Having a badge does not guarentee you from getting out of anything. Neither does that decal you can place on your car. Every officer can choose to write you a ticket or give you a warning no matter who you are.